Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 04-24-2014, 07:41   #1
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Harsey Shop and Work

Just wanted to check in and give a brief report, I have been grinding a fair number of blades here in the new shop which is less than two years old.

Yes new projects continue to be designed and are in the works. The new shop is just starting to feel "normal" to me.

First pic is of my "office" which is where my main belt grinder is set up for master bevels. That is a Harsey built machine.

2nd pic, Spartan Harsey Hunters main bevel grinding, done freehand by me.

3rd pic, same batch finished to 400 grit and ready to ship out (yesterday) to Spartan for their magic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Office 19 March 2014.jpg (74.1 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg Grinding 31 March 2014 Creswell.jpg (76.4 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg grinding done 22 April 2014.jpg (60.7 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 04-24-2014 at 07:54.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:51   #2
Bill Harsey

Sometimes this is my all day long point of view.
This is the 12 inch diameter contact wheel on the the belt grinder running at about 6000 SFPM (Surface Feet Per Minute) with a fast cutting 50 grit ceramic oxide abrasive belt.

The original 14 Yarboroughs were made on this grinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grinder View 17 July 2013 Creswell.jpg (42.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56   #3
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Bill, haven't seen your stuff in some time, glad to see your new shop is operational.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:06   #4
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Devil View Post
Bill, haven't seen your stuff in some time, glad to see your new shop is operational.
Building the new shop (replacing the one that was destroyed) and keeping everything together was all the fun I could ask for. It has been a bit of a challenge.

View in the shop window of the main work room. Big machines are in another room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shop Dec. 2013 Creswell.jpg (63.5 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg my office (Grinder) 15 Feb. 2014.jpg (61.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16   #5
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Bill is that the same anti fatigue mat that was there when the shop was re-christened by Skip? The Chapel of Our Lady Of the Edged Weapons... still love the ring of that...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You have done a great job, Bill!

A visit is on my bucket list.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 13:31   #7
PiterM
Guerrilla

Looks good!
PiterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 15:16   #8
ErwinD
Asset

Looks great Bill, what did you end up doing with the tree branch?
ErwinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 15:38   #9
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

Meticulous Mr. Harsey!
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 15:43   #10
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinD View Post
Looks great Bill, what did you end up doing with the tree branch?
Tree branch? You mean the 130 ft. of tree that weighed 30,000 lbs after it cut the shop in half?
We cut it up and burnt it.
Old 04-24-2014, 17:48   #11
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
Tree branch? You mean the 130 ft. of tree that weighed 30,000 lbs after it cut the shop in half?
As I like to say: don't get mad, get even
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 18:01   #12
ErwinD
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
Yeah, that's the one
ErwinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 19:12   #13
Kit Carson
Asset

Your new shop looks outstanding, Bill.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 21:38   #14
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I'm with TR - course I would prefer to get around to it before "bucket" is the driving factor for "list". Sweet setup. It's nice to see some of the older machines obviously salvaged from the original shop and still front and center in the new one.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:32   #15
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

As someone who's moved/traveled a lot, it's hard to imagine working in the same shop for 20+ years, and all the treasures you must have had in there tucked in all the corners. I wish I had been able to visit and rummage through it before so much was lost.

Still, it's been great to hear the progress along the way, and how your friends contributed time, materials and temporary workshop space to get you back on your feet. You have some great friends.

Also have enjoyed hearing how you've re-designed/re-created the tools that are essential to your work. Your imagination knows no bounds!
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote