Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 03-01-2014, 18:23   #331
TCuneo
Asset

I'm following the SWCS 5 week prep program. Yesterday I did my first ever 12 mile ruck with a time of 3:19 including breaks. I need to research what proper rain gear is because I doubt swimming trunks are it.

I used green superfeet insoles for the first time. They seemed to have less cushion than the default soles that my Rockies came with but they did the job fine. No blisters

Edit:

Did my first 14 miler with a 50lb pack in a touch under 4 hours including a couple breaks. Got some decent blisters on the balls of the feet, not exactly sure what the cause was. At one point I slipped in the mud and fell over, that was amusing.

I'm up to 11 pull ups and a 5 mile run time of 41:36. I'm looking forward to seeing where I'm at in 6 months. I'd like to be ready to enlist at the beginning of the fiscal year.

Last edited by TCuneo; 03-31-2014 at 23:23.
TCuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 17:25   #332
highlander282
Asset

I've been following the military/ mountain athlete 8 week ruck based selection program. It's designed by a guy named Rob Shaul, and he has all kinds of workouts that help build core strength and prevent injuries, especially injuries you might get from humping a ruck. His website is militaryathlete.com and he has countless instructional videos on YouTube.

He has several events that he has determined to be a good test of fitness before heading off to any type of military selection.

55 80lb sand bag get ups in 10 minutes
8 mile run in 64 minutes
10 unbroken rounds of 5 pull ups, 10 dips, 15 push-ups and 20 sit-ups with good form
18 mile ruck with 50lbs in 4.5 hours on hardball, 6 hours trail.

Not to be performed at the same time obviously.

I managed to knock all of these out just prior to heading to sfas next week, I'm sure they're good tests to see where your at according to this program, couldn't hurt. Also understand that this guy has never been to selection, and being able to do these events has nothing to do with you being mentally tough enough to be selected. Ill post a review of how helpful this program was once I get back in a little less than a month if anyone is interested, if so PM me.

Last edited by highlander282; 04-23-2014 at 17:35. Reason: Omitted info
highlander282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 20:05   #333
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

I remember getting for selection the anxiety the miles of rucking and running, pushups, pullups abs. I finally got a hold of an older SFAS prep from SWCS using the uncommon common sense i had i figured it must work and am sure 1000,s had used it. Looking back at the training 5 x 1 100 squat sets with my 100 lb ruck, shoulder shrugs for my traps and grip work to keep my hands strong for team events I am glad I did it. At the end of the day and looking back the conditioning helped but the only true way to prepare for what you will do is mental strength. I did the Bataan DM and the Nearly 7 hrs it took rucking the 26.2. miles did more to prepare me mentally for tthe misery of the ruck on my shoulders plus multiply the weight x 3.

The sweat the bleeding feet peer pressure the no information or guidance from Cadre just take all instructions from the board. It was physical but the way the course is set up your fitness will only carry you for week or so it is designed for you to hit your physical limit. That is when the assessment comes into play more so. The intangibles are those parts about yourself you do not uet know and hope your heart is in it to win it or will you realize you just don't want this lifestyle that bad. There is a profile we are looking for that cant be assessed until you hit the wall.

All the sexy faddish scientific fitness programs cant give you the mental resistance and toughness to get selected. Why is time under a ruck just as important as speed and distance? Because the. green tick or heater has performed more heart surgery than any other item you will see there. Good luck to all trying just remember you eill reach the deepest parts of your souls and for many it will be the first time tou will really know yourself. For those that make it is but the very first step of a long brutal road.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 05-04-2014 at 17:05.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 14:09   #334
PokemonMaster
Asset

Cycling.
Old 04-26-2014, 18:07   #335
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonMaster View Post
Cycling.
You will do very little of that at SFAS.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 18:42   #336
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
You will do very little of that at SFAS.

TR
LOL, who knows he may be able to fashion one out of the old jeeps and other stuff out there in team week
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28   #337
_Hopeful11
SF Candidate

I have been doing CrossFit for just over 2 years. Great overall training that provides a strong base. Complementing it with running and rucking whenever possible. Completed a couple GORUCK Challenges and the GORUCK Nasty (modeled after "Nasty Nick" I was told at the event). Worked out with a current Green Beret and picked his brain for a couple of months while he was hanging around my recruiting office awaiting order from NG to Active.

I've also read anything SF related I could get my hands on and watched documentaries about SF every time they're on.
_Hopeful11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:39   #338
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hopeful11 View Post
I have been doing CrossFit for just over 2 years. Great overall training that provides a strong base. Complementing it with running and rucking whenever possible. Completed a couple GORUCK Challenges and the GORUCK Nasty (modeled after "Nasty Nick" I was told at the event). Worked out with a current Green Beret and picked his brain for a couple of months while he was hanging around my recruiting office awaiting order from NG to Active.

I've also read anything SF related I could get my hands on and watched documentaries about SF every time they're on.

The GORUCK challenge is an awesome tool to get you mentally prepared for SFAS. Mental is the operative word and the most critical part you have to be mentally tough to complete selection that doesn't mean selected. Understand it is the mental resistance to adversity that will be your entire career without this adaptability your career will be short.
Old 05-06-2014, 14:58   #339
kemba415
SF Candidate

10 pushups
10 ab of choice
10 diamond pushups
10 ab of choice
10 wide pushups
10 ab of choice

Do 10 sets within 30 minutes. 2 minute water break, then 4 mile run.

10 sets of 12 pull ups throughout the day.
kemba415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 14:44   #340
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemba415 View Post
10 pushups
10 ab of choice
10 diamond pushups
10 ab of choice
10 wide pushups
10 ab of choice

Do 10 sets within 30 minutes. 2 minute water break, then 4 mile run.

10 sets of 12 pull ups throughout the day.
That looks like the standard PT drill we used to do after a run the team would circle up and every guy would lead a lower body/upper body event
Old 05-08-2014, 16:37   #341
kemba415
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
That looks like the standard PT drill we used to do after a run the team would circle up and every guy would lead a lower body/upper body event
It's a great workout, kicks my ass for sure.
kemba415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11   #342
akeenanp
Asset

Ruck Running

Everything I have read or heard advices against running with a ruck (for good reason). Nevertheless, it is my understanding that during SFAS one should be as competitive as possible. With that can someone offer some advice as far as training?
akeenanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:42   #343
DevilNuts03
SF Candidate

SOF WOD

I have been using and following the sofwods.com workouts, and adding in rucking and some running as "easy days". Any thoughts on their workouts/website?

I have also bought and read "get selected". It was a great book and provided alot of insight.

I am now 14 weeks away from SFAS. Just want to make sure I am on the right track...
DevilNuts03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 14:30   #344
theWolf
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeenanp View Post
Everything I have read or heard advices against running with a ruck (for good reason). Nevertheless, it is my understanding that during SFAS one should be as competitive as possible. With that can someone offer some advice as far as training?
Before you train your ruck run pace, your rucking pace should be between 4-5 miles per hour, consistently. That will put you between 12-15 minutes per mile. You have to add in your breaks. I would take one 2-5 min break to check feet about 60-90 minutes into a 12 mile ruck and about that same interval on anything longer.

Ruck running. I followed Military Athlete's training of run 3 min, walk 1 min, run 3 min, walk 1 min and so on for no more than 6 miles. This kept me at about 11 min miles (or 2 hour 15 min 12 miler). With that, I knew I could run about 9:30/miles up to 6 miles unbroken with a 45lb pack and 10lb sledge hammer. That's just over 6 miles per hour. All this was done for training so that I would have mental and physical bench marks during SFAS.

The guys at SOPC ruck run all the time. They were much faster than I was at SFAS. They were also about 8 years younger.

Good luck.
theWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 21:01   #345
akeenanp
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolf View Post
Before you train your ruck run pace, your rucking pace should be between 4-5 miles per hour, consistently. That will put you between 12-15 minutes per mile. You have to add in your breaks. I would take one 2-5 min break to check feet about 60-90 minutes into a 12 mile ruck and about that same interval on anything longer.

Ruck running. I followed Military Athlete's training of run 3 min, walk 1 min, run 3 min, walk 1 min and so on for no more than 6 miles. This kept me at about 11 min miles (or 2 hour 15 min 12 miler). With that, I knew I could run about 9:30/miles up to 6 miles unbroken with a 45lb pack and 10lb sledge hammer. That's just over 6 miles per hour. All this was done for training so that I would have mental and physical bench marks during SFAS.

The guys at SOPC ruck run all the time. They were much faster than I was at SFAS. They were also about 8 years younger.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I'm currently training with a training team out of the 19th group. I'm also following ruck based selection from military athlete. If I'm strictly walking I can maintain 13:30-14 min miles for up to 12 miles (I've haven't gone further yet). Which I guess is decent. I've just always wondered what's the point if everyone else is running and 60% of the class beats me at SFAS. I'm going to try your 3min on 1 off next time. Thanks for the info!
akeenanp is offline   Reply With Quote