Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 04-05-2014, 06:25   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Issues Dominating Afghanistan's Elections

(AP) Several issues are at the top of Afghans' minds as they go to the polls Saturday. High among them is deteriorating security as the country undergoes its first democratic transition of power in history. Afghan President Hamid Karzai is barred by the constitution from seeking a third term in office. The most often mentioned issues include:

Security - Corruption - Economy - Women - Future US Role

http://news.yahoo.com/issues-dominat...094512009.html

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:30   #2
Flagg
Area Commander

Out in a rural provincial centre we saw 3 of the main candidates roll through in the last week+.

A couple of trusted locals I'm working with told me many of the election rally attendees were being paid as much as a reported 500AFFs each(on top of outlying district transportation for some)…which sounded really high considering the average local unskilled daily wage.

Definitely a Dari flavoured Tammany Hall vibe about it.

No idea what's going on today…we're locked up tight.

I only hope it's as close to a decisive victory for one candidate as can be expected……I reckon a deep and indecisive 3+ way split has some real risks, even with a runoff.

The good news is the weather sucks today(at least here) and the vote will not be tallied for a good few weeks…plenty of time for people to chill out(or conversely print more votes).

One a brighter note…..there's rumours of Afghan and Pakistan chapters of the Taliban having a bit of a feud……good, hopefully they murder each other in mass quantities.

I've never understood why the Afghan NDS doesn't give the ISI some of it's own medicine and light Pakistan on fire from end to end.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:02   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

In the politics of that country is a lot like here. Faces may change but the lies and corruption stay the same.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:50   #4
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
In the politics of that country is a lot like here. Faces may change but the lies and corruption stay the same.
Some local gossip:

Mobile phones working for voice, but texts shut down(to prevent political texts according to the rumour).

Polls open late, but one ethnicity(Hazara) being turned away at local polling booths.

-----

Heard a big weapons cache was seized in Kabul, good work, could have done some damage/disruption.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Got word the TB action has been down. For me that is an indicator. Even a planned action with a reaction.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38   #6
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Got word the TB action has been down. For me that is an indicator. Even a planned action with a reaction.
The rumour mill includes the following:

Ashraf Ghani polling just north of 40%

Abdullah Abdullah polling just south of 40%

Rassoul polling in the high single digits(he caught a lot of sh!t locally for arriving to his own political rally party really late, leaving early, and almost turning into a riot against him).

The remainder picking up the scraps.

But that's just what we're hearing in this local patch….results may(and likely will) vary prinvincial "country" to provincial "country".

I'm guessing a runoff between Ashraf Ghani and Abdullah Abdullah since neither is likely to gain a convincing majority with a margin for Afghan error(say a minimum of 55-60%).

I'm hoping no one actually polls just north of 50%.

Hopefully a runoff between the two poll leaders would better ensure a convincing majority that isn't disputed.

On a funny Afghan note, we heard reliable rumours of at least one ballot box being chucked in the river in a rough joint a few hour from here.

On a positive note, two locals told me their wives voted differently from them and it didn't involve beatings.

Thankfully my journey back to planet earth begins tomorrow weather permitting.
Old 04-13-2014, 14:09   #7
Flagg
Area Commander

I just got back a few days ago, but found this in my inbin this morning:

Abudullah 41.9%
Ghani 37.5%
Rassoul 9.8%
Sayaaf 5.1%
Hetal 2.7%
Sherzai 2.2%
Sultanazoy 0.5%
Arsala 0.3%

Based on 10% of results counted.
Old 04-13-2014, 14:20   #8
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Weird, I heard that reduced availability of goat and little boy ass was a big issue in these elections . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote