Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Old 11-07-2010, 20:49   #1
engineered2win
Asset

18A ODA turn over rate

Hi, I've been on this site for a few weeks and just finished GET SELECTED! and I have a few questions.

I understand that the turn over rate for 18A's on an ODA is between 1-3 years, with 3 years being extremely rare. It seems that you will spend as much time in the special forces pipeline as you will operating on an actual team. From what I've gathered if you want to be on an ODA you want to be an NCO, and if you want to be an officer that is a different career path.

1) Why is this so short?
2) Where do you typically go after being on an ODA? The turnover rate seems too high for everyone to be promoted to staff. In a company with 6 ODAs there would be an average of one new officer ever 4 months (assuming 24 month cycle).
3) In retrospect, would any of you 18A's have rather been a NCO than an officer so you could spend more time on a team?

Thanks in advance.
engineered2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 20:53   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineered2win View Post
Hi, I've been on this site for a few weeks and just finished GET SELECTED! and I have a few questions.

I understand that the turn over rate for 18A's on an ODA is between 1-3 years, with 3 years being extremely rare. It seems that you will spend as much time in the special forces pipeline as you will operating on an actual team. From what I've gathered if you want to be on an ODA you want to be an NCO, and if you want to be an officer that is a different career path.

1) Why is this so short?
2) Where do you typically go after being on an ODA? The turnover rate seems too high for everyone to be promoted to staff. In a company with 6 ODAs there would be an average of one new officer ever 4 months (assuming 24 month cycle).
3) In retrospect, would any of you 18A's have rather been a NCO than an officer so you could spend more time on a team?

Thanks in advance.
Not to be rude, but have you done much research and reading here?

Most of these issues have been covered adequately before.

No need to start a new thread to discuss them again, is there?

Since you have not earned a commission or joined, why is this relevant to you?

How long do you think a Company Commander on the conventional side is in command?

Where do they go when they are finished with command?

I think you need to do some homework.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 00:05   #3
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Regarding that Captain-thing may I add,

On day one it looks like "FOR-effing-EVER"
On day 547 it feels like "I just got here"

And you spend the rest of your time in Group praying someone lets you do it again.

Last edited by Dozer523; 11-08-2010 at 21:03.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:38   #4
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Oh, and here I always thought it was to keep the O's fresh, since we all know that they do All the Work!!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire View Post
Oh, and here I always thought it was to keep the O's fresh, since we all know that they do All the Work!!!!
Oh yeah.

All 18A OER Support forms list just one goals:
Will walk on water.

A year later the accomplishment bullet will read (if his luck holds out):
"Did not drown."
Old 11-08-2010, 17:16   #6
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Oh yeah.

All 18A OER Support forms list just one goals:
Will walk on water.

A year later the accomplishment bullet will read (if his luck holds out):
"Did not drown."

That's a keeper!

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 17:41   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

"an actual team"

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineered2win View Post
.... as you will operating on an actual team. From what I've gathered if you want to be on an ODA you want to be an NCO,....
"an actual team"

While everyone seems to focus on the A Team lets not forget the B Team is an actual Team in it's own darn self.

An 18A also has the chance to come back as the B Team Commander as do 18Zs as the Company SGM.

If I can't be on an A Team I'll settle for a B Team position.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:32   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
"an actual team"
A, B, or C - it's all good...especially when compared to the alternatives.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 18:50   #9
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
A, B, or C - it's all good...especially when compared to the alternatives.

Richard's $.02
Boy that's for sure.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 18:13   #10
fasteddie565
Quiet Professional

Only my second post here but I spent a little time on a team as an 18A (a trifle over 4 years or so, plus a school house detachment in Key West).

You have to understand that the journeyman of Special Forces are the NCO's. They make up the nucleus of the team.. These men, as you will soon see, deserve the finest leadership out there as well as the finest staff officers the Army can produce.

Its not really about what the team can do for you, its more about what you can do for the team.

Trust me, you spend 24 hrs a day for 24 months with 11 of the strongest willed cats you have ever met, a little break isn't all that bad.
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 20:39   #11
Blueboy
Quiet Professional

Hey engineered2win,

Consider this: As a Special Forces officer, you will have the opportunity to command as a Captain (ODA and possibly a second ODA or Headquarters Company) and as a Major (SF Company/ODB)---if you're good enough, that is.
SF Bn command (LTC) and SF Group command (COL) are way too far down the road for you to consider right now, but you get the picture.

Like the other QP's are saying, focus on the 25 m target. First you have to prove that you have what it takes to be a member of our Regiment.

Best of luck.
"I do not know what is true. I do not know the meaning of the universe. But in the midst of doubt, in the collapse of creeds, there is one thing I do not doubt...and that is that the faith is true and adorable which leads a soldier to throw away his life in obedience to a blindly accepted duty, in a cause he little understands, in a plan of campaign of which he has little notion, under tactics of which he does not see the use."

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 21:34   #12
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
Hey engineered2win,

Consider this: As a Special Forces officer, you will have the opportunity to command as a Captain (ODA and possibly a second ODA or Headquarters Company) and as a Major (SF Company/ODB)---if you're good enough, that is.
SF Bn command (LTC) and SF Group command (COL) are way too far down the road for you to consider right now, but you get the picture.

Like the other QP's are saying, focus on the 25 m target. First you have to prove that you have what it takes to be a member of our Regiment.

Best of luck.
Well that's true . . . there is a career pyramid. but . . . you can see it ALL from the bottom (unlike all other branches). After ODA the slope get wicked steep.
Good advice from BB.
When you take your team enjoy it, because it is fleeting.

But, oh man what a ride!
Old 02-04-2011, 22:50   #13
wet dog

Speaking as one of those 11 other strong willed cats,...

The worst "big suck fest - bad - shitty day" is SF is still better than any other good day, anywhere else.

That's all I'm going to say about it.

Last edited by wet dog; 04-20-2011 at 13:33.
Old 04-20-2011, 13:13   #14
Pete
Quiet Professional

Only Non SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower View Post
everything throwing the word team around.

Special Operations Team - Alpha.

Theres the mystery few outside of the SF world have heard of.
mpower - you do notice you are the only non SF type - other than the original poster - posting in this thread?

This forum is not your playground. Read more post less.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 14:18   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower View Post
everything throwing the word team around.

Special Operations Team - Alpha.

Theres the mystery few outside of the SF world have heard of.
mpower:

You have had plenty of warnings.

You are not a peer here, you are a guest.

If you continue popping up in these threads, you are going to have a new user title, and you may be reading, but you will no longer be posting here.

I will not tell you this again.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote