Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 19:14   #1
R.King
Asset

Question Can I go to 10th learning French?

I am going to be learning French in the pipline but I chose to come back to CO to 10th GRP. Some say the chances are that happening are not good and that I will most likely end up in 3rd. I know they will send me where they need me based on needs, MOS and language I guess. I just want an answer from some of the QP's out there so I dont get my hopes high. I wouldnt mind going to 3rd GRP but my heart is set on 10th. I am open for suggestions if there is anything I can do to help make that happen.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.”

-Gen George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 10-05-2008, 20:15   #2
orko
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.King View Post
I am going to be learning French in the pipline but I chose to come back to CO to 10th GRP. Some say the chances are that happening are not good and that I will most likely end up in 3rd. I know they will send me where they need me based on needs, MOS and language I guess. I just want an answer from some of the QP's out there so I dont get my hopes high. I wouldnt mind going to 3rd GRP but my heart is set on 10th. I am open for suggestions if there is anything I can do to help make that happen.
I fell in the same boat with wanting to go back to 10 th with french, I wouldnt say it couldn't happen but, I would not count on it. Since you said you were "going" to learn french another option would be to mabe change your language to something that increases your chances like Russian.
Old 10-05-2008, 21:07   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Needs of the service.

Most likely 3rd.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 10-06-2008, 00:02   #4
R.King
Asset

After SFAS, I did the one on one with a MSG and he tried to get me Russian to help me out but the ended up giving me French cause I only scored an 81 and needed an 85 on the DLAB. Can I take the DLAB again? I think its after 6 months. If thats the case then I can take it again this month.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.”

Old 10-06-2008, 02:17   #5
uboat509
Quiet Professional

We do have a lot of French speakers in 10th Group.

SFC W
Old 10-11-2008, 10:58   #6
R.King
Asset

Well maybe everything will work out for me. I appreciate the help.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:52   #7
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Ryan,

Since your profile lists you as still in Colorado, your best bet would be to interview with the Group CSM before you PCS into the SFQC. If the CSM will engage SF Branch in your behalf, you might get penciled in for assignment to 10th Group.

Keep in mind that the assignment you are asking for is 10th SFG, not assignment to Colorado as per your initial post. Assignment to 10th SFG could land you in 1st BN stationed in Germany.

Good luck,
mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28   #8
R.King
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffjm8509 View Post
Ryan,

Since your profile lists you as still in Colorado, your best bet would be to interview with the Group CSM before you PCS into the SFQC. If the CSM will engage SF Branch in your behalf, you might get penciled in for assignment to 10th Group.

Keep in mind that the assignment you are asking for is 10th SFG, not assignment to Colorado as per your initial post. Assignment to 10th SFG could land you in 1st BN stationed in Germany.
mffjm8509,

Thank you. I think that is the advise that I was looking for. But how should I go about doing that? I don't want to do anything the wrong way. Should I go thru the S1 to set up the interview, if he will do it? I already had a letter of acceptance to do OJT with 2nd BN but my CSM denied my request. Whats really bad about that is he is tabbed also. Strange huh? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Any suggestions?

Old 10-13-2008, 23:54   #9
orko
Quiet Professional

Quote:
mffjm8509,

Thank you. I think that is the advise that I was looking for. But how should I go about doing that? I don't want to do anything the wrong way. Should I go thru the S1 to set up the interview, if he will do it? I already had a letter of acceptance to do OJT with 2nd BN but my CSM denied my request. Whats really bad about that is he is tabbed also. Strange huh? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Any suggestions?

Ryan,
Im sure there isn't anything strange, or tab related there. your more likely looking at things one sided(your side) if the man denied your request I'm sure he had his reasons. It could be as simple as the paperwork was filled out wrong or he felt you would be better suited to continue in the position you are currently holding. You leaving means someone else needs to fill your job when you go. Things work on a system known as MTOE (Modification table of organization and equipment)

As far as a meeting goes to avoid "shooting yourself in the foot" I would suggest you utilize your COC! or your Platoon SGT may want to know why the hell you didn't
Old 10-14-2008, 06:15   #10
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
mffjm8509,

The OJT letter was from the 2/10th SFG CSM? If so how did you get that? All you have to do is let you PL SGT know you are going over to have a meeting ref your future assignment.

To get that meeting you should contact the GP CSM's office or better yet a BN CSM and request a meeting. Go there and make your case. If they want you or think you are worth it they will go up the chain/system and try to get you put in 10th GP. Been there and it works. Wanted 5th and they were sending me to 10th SFG. The Group CSM from 5th had a meeting with me and then went to SWCS and got my orders changed.

Ref your CSM...... He may have been looking out for the unit not for you. Losing a NCO puts a hole in his chart and if you are a good NCO he does not want to lose you until he has to. Yes that is narrow minded but it is a fact of life. Most units do not think of mother army but just their little world (BN/CO).
Old 10-14-2008, 18:44   #11
R.King
Asset

orko,

I understand. He is a cool guy and all, but he wont let anyone go no matter what. But I know how it all works and its a numbers thing too. I was working in the BDE S3 and they had someone to replace me. Not a big deal at all, I'm not worried about it. Thanks.

SF BHT,

I went thru the GRP S1. I work at the BDE Staff Duty right now, so my COC is a little wierd. I work one 24hr shift with 6 days off. How bout that? Only cause I am leaving soon. I will definately try your advise and see how it goes. I was told by my neighbor (SF dude) that he might say to give him a call when I get close to getting done cause it is way too soon to know how things will turn out. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-14-2008, 19:41   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Okay, this has gone on long enough.

You were not assigned to French language training to go to 10th Group. 3rd Group needs replacements too.

I think the Group and Battalion CSMs have better things to do, especially with the war going on, than to try and get every swinging Richard a personal exception to policy by burning blue chips. Frankly, just asking would probably mark you as a whiner or a get-over, IMHO. God only knows how many kids will read this thread and call a CSM to ask him for assistance.

Go where the orders read, and do not try to call in personal favors from people you do not know. If you get assigned a language, there is a reason for it. After your first three or four years of quality service on an ODA and a couple of years in the Box, you might be able to ask someone you know to help.

Discussion over.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Closed Thread