Old 01-22-2021, 22:17   #1
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

Amazon

Amazon is the ultimate success story of capitalism. A finger in just about every pie. Is it a monopoly? Should it be broken up? Is it a victim of its massive success? Do we resent it’s success or it’s harvesting of our information?

How can we claim to support capitalism and then revile amazon? Life ain’t simple.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 23:01   #2
Penn
Area Commander

NT, they are going to split the stock. Hopefully, we will all be able to capitalize on the opportunity. As for resenting Amazon, no, it was and has proven to be a great idea.
Do I like Bezzo political power, no, I hate it. Especially, the Washington Posts ability to coerce opinion.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 23:58   #3
PSM
Area Commander

A stock split means nothing except making a single stock cheaper to buy. The dollar figure of the stock is still the same, you just have 2 certificates instead of one. It matters not at all when most of us own Mutual Funds or ETFs since they include fractional stocks of expensive investments like Berkshire Hathaway. Speaking of BH, they've never split.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 00:06   #4
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

I have a friend who's wife just recently went to work for them (way up high, going to be running a new distro center).
Amazon was a brilliant idea in harvesting products from different businesses (and keeping those businesses in the loop) and presenting them in one place for search and purchase. There model now is to start emplacing more and more distribution centers throughout the country. Quite the monopoly of its type of business, very similar to Wal-Mart's grab on a niche.
I use Amazon from time to time but it does take out the direct interaction with numerous businesses.

Capitalism unfortunately creates rich giants. I remember when I was a kid and Ma Bell was broken up.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:24   #5
JimP
Quiet Professional

Kid you not: ordered something from Amazon one morning and it was delivered early that afternoon (I live in San Antonio). Freaked me out.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:22   #6
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Jeff Bezos and Sam Walton both validated Andrew Carnegie's business model. I am trying to do the same thing in the Pharma Industry. We'll see!
Old 01-23-2021, 12:24   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

It's a great company and I had probably an unwise percentage of my net worth in its stock for a long time. Made a lot of money. I just sold all of it after they killed Parler.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 21:30   #8
Penn
Area Commander

RL. Noble, most would not have done so, Kudos!!!!
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 14:56   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
RL. Noble, most would not have done so, Kudos!!!!
It was easier to do during a stock market bubble, LOL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote