Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 09-25-2015, 09:25   #121
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Food Danger Zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'm a rookie mad-scientist type in training when it comes to cooking.

All mad food scientists should read this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/arti...peratures.html
Old 09-25-2015, 22:10   #122
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Changed my mind. I'm going to go with 185° for 12 hours just to see how that turns out.

Pat
Well...it was a fail and a win. The fail was that 3 Ziploc vacuum bags seemed to have failed. They all developed bubbles that caused the tops of the the bags to rise. The racks kept the meat under water. The first bag was a gallon-sized one. I moved the two ribs into separate quart-sized bags. When I removed them, after 12 hours, they seemed to be filled with water and also had a huge air bubble in them.

I drained the liquid, dried the meat, and coated it with BBQ sauce. I was going to finish them on the grill, but they were so tender that I thought that they might fall apart, so it finished them in a skillet. They turned out tender and tasted great!

I imagine that the high temp may have expanded the little air that was left in the bags, but that doesn't explain the water in the bags. There is no evidence of anything leaking out of the bag and into the SVS itself.

All's well that ends well, though!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:27   #123
Penn
Area Commander

Guy, I agree with TS, chicken is a no go. We did sous vide poultry once, and only once. Its all about texture, customers freaked out on the fork tender meat; unlike beef, veal, or pork, the texture was to soft.

PSM, when we use ziplock gallon bags, we immerse the bag with the product in place, and then we seal it. The water pressure removes the air pocket you mentioned and the package surrounds the meat. Be careful with bones tearing the bag after placing it in the sous vide oven.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:52   #124
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb

PSM: Clip the bag to the side so that it does not sink. If cooking for an extended time, I vacuum seal the product.

Sous-Vide butterflied leg of lamb. Seared after 10hrs for that Mallard-Duck thingamajig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1047 (1).JPG (128.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1045.JPG (136.9 KB, 11 views)

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-

Last edited by Guy; 09-26-2015 at 11:58.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:04   #125
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
PSM: Clip the bag to the side so that it does not sink. If cooking for an extended time, I vacuum seal the product.
I'm using the SV Supreme and it has racks. I'm just wondering if the 3 bags failed or not. There was an awful lot of liquid in the bag, but nothing in the SVS water. The liquid may have come from the ribs, but I'm not sure.

Tasted great, though, so I'm happy!

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serveimage.jpg (81.8 KB, 10 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 09-26-2015, 12:45   #126
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm using the SV Supreme and it has racks. I'm just wondering if the 3 bags failed or not. There was an awful lot of liquid in the bag, but nothing in the SVS water. The liquid may have come from the ribs, but I'm not sure.

Tasted great, though, so I'm happy!

Pat
I've had some Ziplock bags fail also, especially after being "totally" submerged for an extended length of time.

BTW...I stopped removing the membrane on ribs because, it helps keep them intact when cooking SV for a lengthy amount of time...

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 09-26-2015, 13:42   #127
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
BTW...I stopped removing the membrane on ribs because, it helps keep them intact when cooking SV for a lengthy amount of time...
Funny you should mention that. When I made the STL style ribs, I removed the membrane and when I finished them on the grill they fell off the bone. So I left the membrane on this time and they held together just fine. I didn't finish them on the grill, though, because I wasn't sure that they would. Good tip!

Pat

Old 09-26-2015, 14:22   #128
Guy
Quiet Professional

Talking LMAO!!!!

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. When I made the STL style ribs, I removed the membrane and when I finished them on the grill they fell off the bone. So I left the membrane on this time and they held together just fine. I didn't finish them on the grill, though, because I wasn't sure that they would. Good tip!

Pat
If I cook for the "family" they, get the cheapest cuts of meat on the market; it ain't like the MFers are paying for it!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 11-14-2015, 14:40   #129
PSM
Area Commander

I decided to play around with some eggs for lunch. These were done at 64C for 45 minutes. The yolk was a little overdone for my likes so I'll try 63C next time but will probably have to poach them a few seconds in water to firm up the whites. Or maybe I'll try steaming in the bowls at the end.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eggs raw.jpg (42.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Eggs cooked.jpg (41.2 KB, 13 views)

Old 11-14-2015, 17:30   #130
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I decided to play around with some eggs for lunch. These were done at 64C for 45 minutes. The yolk was a little overdone for my likes so I'll try 63C next time but will probably have to poach them a few seconds in water to firm up the whites. Or maybe I'll try steaming in the bowls at the end.

Pat
Soft boiled in the shell is 64C for 35 minutes for large eggs. Adjust from that. You probably just cooked them too long. Try 30 minutes since they are out of the shell. How are you trying to cook them (desired end state)?
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 18:12   #131
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
Soft boiled in the shell is 64C for 35 minutes for large eggs. Adjust from that. You probably just cooked them too long. Try 30 minutes since they are out of the shell. How are you trying to cook them (desired end state)?
I want the yolk runny but the whites set. That's hard to do since the two different "whites" and the yolk all set at different temps. This is why I'll probably have to finish in a quick poach or steam (I've never tried this). I've finished by a quick poach before.

This was a test of cooking them in the little bowls. Now I just have to figure out how to finish them in the bowls. I'll just have to eat the failures, I guess.

Pat

Old 11-15-2015, 09:48   #132
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Sous-Vide an egg?

You guys really need to get out more......
Old 11-15-2015, 10:25   #133
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Sous-Vide an egg?

You guys really need to get out more......
I poached an omelet the other day, too.

Pat

Old 03-03-2016, 16:15   #134
PSM
Area Commander

Took a road trip to central AZ earlier this week and, while in PHX, my wife found a new wholesale restaurant supply store that's also open to the public. So, we ended up coming home with lots of new utensils, a good selection of cheese, and 18 pounds of tri-tip.

Below is one of the tri-tips after about 4 hours in the SV oven and finished on a hot grill 5 minutes a side. Served with pilaf, asparagus, and shallots in a red wine reduction.

ETA: Made this yesterday but forgot to get a pic. The one below is from today after it spent the night in the refrigerator, hence the lack of juice in the photo.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV tri-tip.jpg (47.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by PSM; 03-03-2016 at 18:05.
Old 03-03-2016, 21:17   #135
Penn
Area Commander

What is a Tri-Tip
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote