Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 04-23-2016, 11:19   #286
Patrin
Guerrilla

Three Sips of Gin: Dominating the Battlespace with Rhodesia's famed Selous Scouts, by Timothy Bax.......

Just starting it, but it looks promising...this is the cheaper alternative to the long out of print 'Pamwe Chete' by Lt. Col. RF Reed-Daly, that retails north of 400$....
Patrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:33   #287
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Fighting Todays Wars

Just finished reading JimP's book "Fighting Today's Wars - How America's Leaders Have Failed Our Warriors".

It was very eye-opening treatise on how our military has been turned into a law-enforcement agency (my interpretation) in the conduct of America's wars in the ME.

Disturbing that the individual soldier's right to self defense has been effectively eliminated by complex and highly restrictive ROE's in the conduct of PC war to the point that the individual soldier and the unit commanders are second guessing when and when not to use lethal force.

Jim's recommendations at the end are exactly on point. Chief among these is to "Define America's Go-to-War Doctrine and Stop Violating the Sovereignty of Nations".

I highly recommend this book to all!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39   #288
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Just finished reading JimP's book "Fighting Today's Wars - How America's Leaders Have Failed Our Warriors".

It was very eye-opening treatise on how our military has been turned into a law-enforcement agency (my interpretation) in the conduct of America's wars in the ME.

Disturbing that the individual soldier's right to self defense has been effectively eliminated by complex and highly restrictive ROE's in the conduct of PC war to the point that the individual soldier and the unit commanders are second guessing when and when not to use lethal force.

Jim's recommendations at the end are exactly on point. Chief among these is to "Define America's Go-to-War Doctrine and Stop Violating the Sovereignty of Nations".

I highly recommend this book to all!

The United States military no longer has "leaders", those jobs were dismissed long ago and replaced with "Attorneys" making all the decisions.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:46   #289
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
Blue Gemini, by QP Mike Jenne. Review to follow.

(The Review): The book is about a secret space program during the Cold War. It is fictional but accurate for the era. An easy read, not bad for a first time author. Reminded me of the Stack Pole books which were passed around the barracks and during deployments. Mike was an instructor when I went through the Q and later I worked with him in the 20th before and after he received his commission.
Just picked up Blue Darker Than Black, second in the series. Review to follow.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:30   #290
Jerry4463
Asset

Just finished "Hunting the Jackal" by retired SGM Billy Waugh. Korean War vet was still getting it in at age 73 in Afghanistan. Truly a phenomenal story.
Jerry4463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 21:06   #291
Midas
Asset

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by Lynne Black

Tides of War by Stephen Pressfield
Midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 23:19   #292
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

With it being a Political Election year and with everything going on in America. I ordered Alexis de Tocqueville's book of his eassys on Democracy in America. Very deep book, yes I need to look some word meanings up.

I will add that looking at how people have used this book is interesting to say the least.

https://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Ame.../dp/0140447601

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:58   #293
Badger52
Area Commander

Sentimental gold nugget

Perusing the shelves to prune & make room for a multi-volume set of Civil War stuff that's coming, I found something that Dad had left me along with a bunch of his flight-related stuff. It's a boxed set (pristine cond) of the 15 lessons from "Practical English and Effective Speech." Each little lesson is about the thickness of "A Message to Garcia" (as generally sold online), and the cover of each has a little proverb. This set is from the 3rd printing in 1936. Interesting to review & also brings back fond memories of the best English teacher a 12-yr old could hope for.

Lesson One admonishes on the cover:
"First among the evidences of an education I name correctness and precision in the use of the mother tongue." - Nicholas Murray Butler

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 19:52   #294
MAB32

Reading, "Love, Sex, Feat, Death" By Timothy Wyllie. Subtitled" "The Inside Story Of The Process Church of the Final Judgment". The Process was a Satanical based Occult who were directly involved in several publicized murders during the last 40+ years. They are now know as the "Best Friends Animal Sanctuary" In Kanab Utah. Do not give any money to these people as they are still a Cult/Occult. Just FYI.
Old 08-11-2016, 13:06   #295
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Ivan's War, it gives a perspective of WW II from the Soviet soldier's point of view. I have learned a lot so far by reading it. The book gives a back drop on how Stalinist Russia and the purges that went with it crippled the military. A great read.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 16:52   #296
Badger52
Area Commander

Just began the journey into Shelby Foote's 3-volume series on the invasion to prevent secession (aka, "Civil War"). His style of prose is pretty good & makes for an interesting read as he develops his characters. Wanted it for awhile and finally popped for the soft-cover boxed set.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52   #297
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Christian Ethics by Beach and Niebuhr.
Old 08-29-2016, 19:07   #298
Gypsy
Area Commander

Riding Rockets by Astronaut Michael Mullane. My brother met him and had the book inscribed. A hilarious yet sometimes emotional read, he writes about all of the experiences he went though as a space shuttle astronaut. He holds nothing back! (except for classified missions details)
Old 08-29-2016, 19:28   #299
Flagg
Area Commander

I'm on a kick to learn more about non-violent social movements and covert political action, mostly centred on Cold War era Poland:

Empowering Revolution: America, Poland, and the End of the Cold War

The Third Secret: The CIA, Solidarity and the KGB's Plot to Kill the Pope

-----

And some FREE publications found here:

http://canvasopedia.org/218-2/

including:

A Guide to Effective Non Violent Struggle

Non Violent Struggle 50 Crucial Points

A Brief History of OTPOR

Making Oppression Backfire

-----

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about social media catalysed non-violent social movements from both an offensive and defensive covert political action perspective.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 00:23   #300
Toaster
Guerrilla

The Godfather

Just finished Mario Puzo's, The Godfather.

Exceptionally good book, it does an extremely good job detailing how important social cues and interactions are in political arenas, as well as explaining how many corrupt and criminal powerful people get away with their crimes.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote