Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 10-12-2010, 12:30   #16
mojaveman
Area Commander

I received a copy of that during the patroling portion of Phase I back in '84. I'll have to look into my archives and see if I still have it. I thought it was interesting to receive "real" information compared to what you usually read in the FMs.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:06   #17
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

1SG Alderman

While I was the NCOIC of the SOMTC (Provisional) cell I had the honor of working with Mr. Joe Alderman when he was the acting DOTD at SWCS after Ranger Roach left. It was a real pleasure working with such a professional. While I was working to combine the 300-F1 and 18D POIs, he gave me a copy of the B-52 Tips. At that time I did not know of his numerous tours of SE Asia (8?) in fact, he was so humble and understated I never heard the whole story until I attended his memorial service at the Smoke Bomb Hill Chapel and his funeral.

This was one hell of a Soldier. RIP Top.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:09   #18
bost1751
Quiet Professional

I was very fortunate to have a Joe Alderman has my Team Sergeant in Tolz during the mid to late 70's.. As an E6 at the time, promote to 7 prior to leaving, I learned a lot and had the opportunity to share the knowledge I had gained from Joe with others later on. After I arrived in Okie in 1990 a MSG in Bn told me he was going to standardise team SOPs, yep a real conventional, minimal team team guy. When he pulled the SOP out he was going to use it was ODA 6s Team SOP from Tolz. Things sure got around. It is great information and glad to see it is still around.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:15   #19
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Have an original copy produced by SWC.......

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:24   #20
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Have an original copy produced by SWC.......

That's because you're older than dirt George.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:31   #21
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Thanks.....

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 20:33   #22
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Thanks.....
I'm just joshing ya.....but ya did leave yourself wide open for that one.
Old 10-13-2010, 22:20   #23
Dozer523
BANNED USER

A while back JJ posted a reference to the "don't shoot from a helicopter leaving the LZ" and I got thinking, "I remember that." So I went digging. I found the copy I made from a copy of a copy from the copy someone else made of a copy from the copy of the mimeograph copy they borrowed. About 16 years after it originated. I thought about just scanning it but what a mess. I wanted it to be available if someone wanted to copy and paste. Papa Zero 3 did me WAY better. Thanks.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 14:33   #24
english kanigit
Asset

Quote:
52. Carry one extra pair of socks plus foot powder, on patrol, especially during the rainy season. In addition, each team member should carry a large sized pair of socks to place over his boots when walking across a trail or stream.

Out of curiosity what is the reason for the socks over the boots when making a crossing? Disguise the boot tread?

Ek
Personally, I'm interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process. -- James Lileks
english kanigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 14:42   #25
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by english kanigit View Post
Out of curiosity what is the reason for the socks over the boots when making a crossing? Disguise the boot tread?

Ek
It will make the edge of the boot tracks soft, subdued and appear old. Not a bad idea, second only to wearing converse high top sneakers.

Last edited by wet dog; 11-14-2010 at 17:40.
Old 11-14-2010, 15:26   #26
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
I'm just joshing ya.....but ya did leave yourself wide open for that one.
Mine came from IMA. I think it was written on papyrus.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 21:38   #27
Stiletto11
Guerrilla

Boots on the Ground

All of these can be found in the book Boots on the Ground, the history of Project Delta by Stephen Carpenter. The book was given to me by my friend Andre St. Laurent who was a member of the Delta project.
Stiletto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 22:03   #28
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Other manuals that are hard to find

I was thinking about this thread today and how other useful manuals and pamphlets from years ago have been forgotten. I remember right around the time things started heating up I went back to the school house to see Mr tabata and Papi to see if they had the old manual on building base camps. Seems that one fell by the way side until we needed it again. Last I heard it was in the bowels of DOTD being revised.
Old 11-15-2010, 22:10   #29
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
I was thinking about this thread today and how other useful manuals and pamphlets from years ago have been forgotten. I remember right around the time things started heating up I went back to the school house to see Mr tabata and Papi to see if they had the old manual on building base camps. Seems that one fell by the way side until we needed it again. Last I heard it was in the bowels of DOTD being revised.
I think I may still have a copy of that base camp manual that Papi put together somewhere.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 22:19   #30
wet dog

There are endless gems burried deep in garage stored footlockers, scattered about the country.