Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 03-20-2009, 23:53   #1
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Son Tay Wannabe

And I know who he is -

I was one of the volunteers that did not get selected for Son Tay. There was at least 300 who volunteered. We all went through an interview process - they told us they would get back to us if we were accepted - I never heard from them again. That was in August of 1970 (I think, I know it was hot that day, couldhave been September). We did not know what we were volunteering for - the only thing they told us was that we would be home for Christmas.

About a month later - I saw several guys from my company, on my team in fact (Adderly for instance) Pylant & Howell from our B Team. Saw them all at the Dentist Office - I asked them what was up - they were polite, but wouldn't say. The next day - those in A Company all came down & drew their M16 and boarded a bus - complete with all their team gear - I just happend to be there too. We finally found out that they went to Florida – but that was all.

Didn't know what was up with them until November - I was on the Honor Guard detail at Pope - didn't know why I was there either (for a Sergeant E5, I apparently didn't know much). Anyway pretty soon Limos started arriving saw faces I recognized, Sec of Defense, Sec of Army, Several Senators. Soon TV crews showed up, then women and children. Eventually I learned that it was our guys who went to Florida – seemed like a lot of hoorah for guys coming back from some training mission. The Band was even there.

Of course – I knew about Son Tay – it had been all over the News for the past 24 hours. Then as I was standing there – I suddenly got smart – figured it out. Duhh

Soon 3 C130s did a fly by, did a wing over and separated for landings – taxied up and the band started to play – our guys came out with their rucks and their M16 – just like they were when they left – but history has changed them all forever.

And I stood there in my best Class Bs, at Parade Rest with my M16 at Order Arms - taking it all in.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:05   #2
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

MITCH:

Your story fits quite a few that Ive met. This past October I was present at a farewell dinner for the last actively serving member of the Son Tay Raid, Im also proud to say he is a personal friend of mine.

He went on the raid as a young E-5, and retired as Command Sergeant Major of the U.S. Army Training Site, Camp Dawson.

In attendance at the Farewell Dinner, were about 5 or 6 of the Raiders.

I havent got their permission to publish names, so I wont. The complete story is in the upcoming issue of the SFA publication "The Drop".
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12   #3
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Great story, Mitch - thanks for sharing. I've posted this elsewhere here, but I was a SP4 in SFTG at the time, finishing Weapons and prepping for Phase III. It was a very exciting time to be at Bragg and in SF (in any way...) when the Son Tay raiders returned.

Brave men all!
Old 03-21-2009, 20:03   #4
OpForKorn
Asset

A close friend of mine was interviwed for the Son Tay Raid, and seems to believe that the answer to a key question determined who went and who stayed. Other than that, he keeps quiet about the whole thing.
OpForKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 20:14   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

My first Team Sergeant said he was angered when this mission was planned, he said no one "in country" was allowed to volunteer. He also said later he understood why, absolute secrecy was required. Damn fine mission and mission planning.
Old 03-21-2009, 20:57   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

I was in 12B training at FLW when the Raid took place and afterwards served with a number of Raiders whom I still consider great friends. I've even got a copy of the issue of Veritas dedicated to the Raid which I've managed to keep over the years. It was one of those events which inspired all of us youngsters coming into SF during that time period.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 21:01   #7
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

I met an old fellow in the Uwharrie about 15 years ago who told me he was a plank holder in 10th SFG and was one of the planners for the Son Tay Raid. If I remember correctly, he also stated he was at Lang Vei when the camp was over run.

I had no reason to doubt his story, but I have not yet been able to confirm it or deny. I still remember his name, but I am not going to post it here. If any of you more familiar with the players is interested, I will send you a PM with his name.
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 23:40   #8
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpForKorn View Post
A close friend of mine was interviwed for the Son Tay Raid, and seems to believe that the answer to a key question determined who went and who stayed. Other than that, he keeps quiet about the whole thing.
I doubt there was any speical question - but what do I know, I didn't make it past the first cut. I feel it was like going for a job these days - for every opening, there are plenty to pick from.

Before the interview, they gave us a form to fill out - asked all the basic questions: MOS, Position on the team, special skills and qualifications, how long in SF, what's your ETS, Combat experience, Family situation, asked a few negative questions too - any Article 15s, ever been deinied a Security Clearance Upgrade, etc.

We held on to the form until we were called over for the interview - there were several interviewers, they had set up some tables at the back of the JFK Center Auditorium - and more desks up near the front. Eventually, I got called over; I was talking with an SFC whom I didn't know and do not remember - we talked for about 5 minutes - he took some notes - and then asked me about how good my commo was - I told him I was drawing Pro Pay - he seemed to like that. He asked about my ETS - it was coming up in December - I told him I was pretty sure I was reenlisting (I did). But that seemed to be a concern for him. He also circled on my form where I put down SADM qualified - don't know if that was a negative or a positve.

Anyway, he eventually said, OK we will let you know!

So, if there were any "special questions" they were probably reserved for the second cut.

Hard to believe, that was over 38 years ago - still seems like yesterday to me in some ways.
Old 03-22-2009, 23:03   #9
Mike
Quiet Professional

I had returned from 2 tours 5th grp at the time.

I waqs marking time in 7th Grp to DEROS in October.

I remember them asking for"volunteers" for an upcoming "event."

It seems like you had to have had one combat tour, be E6 or above and have at least a year left

My memories of Ft Bragg at that time were a bunch of pissed off youngsters who were piled up after SFTG with noplace to go.
SF was pulling out of RVN as were a lot of other units and slots were non existant.

There were guys with 2 years service who had been to about every school available as there was no other place to go.

Lots of shake and bakes, as well.

Morale was deplorable and drug use was a big deal.
I graduated in '67, and the changes I saw were dismal.

I was just finishing 4 years, all SF, and opted out when the time came.

I believe group was a rough place to be in the next few years.

Guess it got better for those who stuck it out.
Old 03-22-2009, 23:16   #10
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I believe group was a rough place to be in the next few years.

Guess it got better for those who stuck it out.

It did - but not at Bragg!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50   #11
tst43
Guerrilla

Mitch,

I am impressed that you were there at that time and place and had the qualifications to apply for such a mission. I have met some truly remarkable men from that era.
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:43   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
It did - but not at Bragg!
FWIW - I was a medic in 1-7th until leaving for 3-1st (USASFT) in '73 and then 2-7th upon closing of the 1st until leaving for 1-10th in '76. I soon discovered that those who wanted to keep busy were and those who didn't weren't. It depended a lot upon the individual TMLDRs/TMSGTs and the individuals themselves. There were a lot of NCOs returning from years of being overseas and retiring, but medics and commo were in high demand and could keep busy...and I managed to stay gone from Bragg most of the time I was assigned there.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:55   #13
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hard to believe, that was over 38 years ago - still seems like yesterday to me in some ways.
It's hard for me to imagine that was two generations ago. And I'm one of the older guys around the company area. I can remember my first T.S. (1990)talking about the raiders that were still around. One of which was the Co. SGM next door. First time I met him I felt a little awe struck.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:13   #14
DinDinA-2
Guerrilla

Awe struck...I can relate to that. Returning, after 24 months in Vn, I thought I was pretty cool. I entered SF then, and my Company commander was a Son Tay Raider. Every one around me had experience and talent beyond belief. I kept my mouth shut and just listened and learned.
DinDinA-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 13:15   #15
ODA 226
Quiet Professional

Back in 1979, and as a noob in B-2-10, I was given reading assignments on UW by my TS. One day, I was sitting in our Teamhouse, reading "The Raid" when a TS from another team came into the room.

At that moment, I was looking at a pic in the book where two guys are standing in front of the camera, one holding an M- 79. (As I recall.)

I thought to myself, "Damn! This MSG looks like the guy in this pic!" He saw the book and me comparing the pic in the book to him and he yelled, "Yeah! It's me Goddamn it!"

Lothar turned to me and said, "Mac doesn't like that picture". Anyway, I met a Son Tay Raider that day and another one, P. Poole at Mott Lake in 1981. Both excellent men.