Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-22-2016, 12:58   #1
cbtengr
Area Commander

Guard Bonus's in CA.

Seems in their zeal to retain soldiers for the wars a lot of reenlistment bonus incentives were mistakenly paid. Now Uncle wants that money back. I am guessing their are some social programs that need the money a lot worse. The money was suppose to go for the retention of critical MOS's.

"Robert Richmond, an Army sergeant first class then living in Huntington Beach, said he reenlisted after being told he qualified for a $15,000 bonus as a special forces soldier. The money gave him “breathing room,” said Richmond, who had gone through a divorce after a deployment to Afghanistan in 2002 and 2003."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...nap-story.html
Old 10-22-2016, 13:35   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Let San Francisco have their new soda-pop tax and let them have the new grocery tax and whatever other "Prop" is on the ballot. They'll never notice a thing in the coffers.

Those that should pay it back are those who engaged in the conduct to falsely pay it in the first place (if such exists).
Why? B F Y T W

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:46   #3
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Read the LA Times article earlier today and thought that things haven't changed all that much with the DoD.
When I left language school and PCS'd to Campbell (I had just reenlisted 3 months earlier) I took 30 days leave. The Army decided that I owed them money for the 30 days (they didn't see where I had reenlisted) and I got NO PAY DUE for 2 consecutive pay checks. That really puts the hurt on a guy with a new family and a move and all. I was filling out Red Cross paper work to get a loan to try and survive, what with vehicle payments, rent, childcare, etc.... I guess that was one of the things that pushed me out just a couple of years later.
I think if Uncle Sam is wrong then the GI should not have to pay for it. The sacrifice troops make for this country is more than enough to make up for stupid mistakes the government does.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:15   #4
LarryW
Area Commander

Governor Moonbeam and Major General Stardust can pack sand. Those vets did what was asked of them and then some. What an embarrassment to the state that hosts the Reagan Library.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:22   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

Nothing is too good for americas service members and that is exactly what the government is going to give them...
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:48   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

They should look up "Remission of Indebtedness", AR 600-4.

http://www.benning.army.mil/mcoe/sja...debtedness.pdf

They should complete and promptly submit DA Form 3508-R, Application for Remission or Cancellation of Indebtedness. In addition, they will need to submit a DA Form 2823 (Sworn Statement), latest LES, documents relating to the debt, and possibly more with their 3508-R depending on the type of debt and their circumstances. Cite injustice, hardship, time since the overpayment was made, and inability to repay such a large sum.

See their IG for further assistance.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:14   #7
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
They should look up "Remission of Indebtedness", AR 600-4.

http://www.benning.army.mil/mcoe/sja...debtedness.pdf

They should complete and promptly submit DA Form 3508-R, Application for Remission or Cancellation of Indebtedness. In addition, they will need to submit a DA Form 2823 (Sworn Statement), latest LES, documents relating to the debt, and possibly more with their 3508-R depending on the type of debt and their circumstances. Cite injustice, hardship, time since the overpayment was made, and inability to repay such a large sum.

See their IG for further assistance.

TR
A lot of these people left service a while back.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:35   #8
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
A lot of these people left service a while back.
Doesn't make any difference. Relates to service time and consequently recourse is afforded through the ARs. Same argument as applies to correction of military records ....

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 14:43   #9
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

In my twisted thinking I see a similarity to the bonus marchers of the 1920's.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 16:45   #10
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
In my twisted thinking I see a similarity to the bonus marchers of the 1920's.
As in their efforts will be fruitless and will be violently dispersed by future war heroes?
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 16:58   #11
Remington Raidr
Guerrilla

Oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
As in their efforts will be fruitless and will be violently dispersed by future war heroes?
Some future General of the Army will step up. And it was the 1930's Tim. 1932 to be exact.
Remington Raidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:39   #12
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

I was deployed in 1996 when I received a HUGE paycheck. My next LES showed that I received 9 months back BAH and BAS.... I promptly hit up my chain of command to my division officer. I tried doing to our disbursing officer, etc. To a man, they all said, we can't do anything to correct and DO NOT spend it. About 6 months later, they hit me up for half my pay check to repay the debt. I managed to save most of the over payment ( ) thankfully.

Everyone I spoke to advice recommended that I do not take action to repay the debt before the pay auditors figure it out on their own otherwise they may very well end up taking it back twice and getting the money back if they make that mistake would be near impossible.

I really feel for those affected in California, especially those no longer in service. Their recourse if far more difficult because they are no longer in service, the appropriate branches may not be interested in helping separated service members.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:22   #13
bblhead672
Area Commander

I really hate our government bureaucracy and ineptness at doing the most mundane of tasks. And these people want to be in control of every aspect of our lives.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:00   #14
Razor
Quiet Professional

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of college loans go decades before being paid, if at all.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:52   #15
Box
Quiet Professional

and nearly 50 percent of the American electorate would prefer this level of disgraceful incompetence to something different simply because of a leaked access Hollywood video of a rich playboy talking like a rich playboy...

...and Hillary will fuck troops over FAR worse once she has successfully bought her way into the white house

It is sad to acknowledge that I have a dysfunctional relationship with my nation. It's like a battered wife that can't see that her husband is the bad guy.
... we just keep letting an inept government fuck us in the ass

I'm sorry government, I didn't mean to burn dinner again. This is all my fault, please forgive me.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 10-24-2016 at 12:25.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote