Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2012, 14:38   #12
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

simple civillian kit.

I am just a simple civilian so my kit is very simple. I used to be an EMT-I in New Mexico, so in a life or death situation I could start an IV, but without ready access to the supplies (need a prescription to get them here in NM) I left IV off my list.

I need to be able to maintain an airway and stop major bleeding until better equipped help arrives to take over.

To do this I need the following:
Gloves. I use the nitrile gloves you buy in the cleaning section of WalMart. I get 10 pairs in a package for a couple of bucks.
3 piece NPA kit ( sm, med, lg) plus a packet of KY jelly. This lets me at least make an attempt to correctly size the airway for the patient.
6 4x4 gauze pads. Used as a quick dressing for small stuff.
2 x Field dressings. I get them at the local surplus store and check them over to make sure package is intact.
2 x triangular bandages. Multi uses here. Can be folded into a 1.5 to 2 inch wide band and made into a TQ in a pinch. Also used to hold dressings in place.
1 roll med tape, cloth preferred.
6 inch long piece of aluminum dowel. Used to tighten the TQ made from the triangular bandage. It is lightweight and works.
My cell phone to call for better equipped help.

All this ( except the cell phone, its in my pocket) fits inside an old Nalgene water bottle wrapped with about 25 feet of duct tape and fits inside the cup carrier of my car.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance
Cake_14N is offline   Reply With Quote