Old 04-02-2010, 15:14   #1
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Gerber LHR Review Anyone??

It has been several weeks since the Gerber LHR knife has been available to the general public....anyone pick one up do some field work with it and willing to write an opinion/review?

Thought we'd hear more about it....sheath system, knife in general, etc.

I handled one at SHOT that Bill had (Bill, did you bring the knife back to the Gerber booth where it 'disappeared' from?). The knife is virtually locked into the sheath and a fairly fine/maybe gross motor skill must be employed to remove it. The knife itself was 'hefty' with a solid grip that gloves will easily hold onto, 6" blade I believe. Personal bias, the Green beret knife felt better in my hand. But for a less expensive second cousin twice removed (to the other Harsey/Reeve knives), not a bad item at all.

Other opinions.........

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

SS-
I haven't had a chance to beat up on the LHR yet... but the weather has turned and I will be doing much more yard work, trimming and cutting.... We'll see....

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57   #3
Sean
Asset

I have one of these, but have yet to really take it through its paces. I like the design/feel of the blade in the hand, but the sheath system really limits carrying options. It seems a little too big and the unsheathing (as SwatSurgeon noted) is a bit too fine of a motor skill to be an instant "go to" blade in a very-close-quarters situation, especially if worn in a "drop leg" fashion.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 14:14   #4
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I'm not going to comment on the sheathing except to say, the blade won't accidentally drop out.

I've found the blade stays very keen even when beating up on tree limbs, the serrations will part rope nicely.

The handle is nice when held in a fighting grip (forward or reverse) but is abit tiring when used as a 'general' field knife for chopping/ splitting - the handle is designed for the fighting grips, and drops off a little too much and thins a bit too much for my not very large hand at the glass breaking end when used for extended periods. I've discussed this with the H in LHR...

Don't let these commens dissuade you from using the knife - overall it is a great knife - and it was designed as a general figher, not a true field knife. On a cost/quality/usability scale it rates up in the low 90's on a 100 point scale.

I love it and am going to keep testing since the H in LHR has asked me to try to break it.... and what Bill asks me to do to one of his designs, I try to accomodate - I'm not holding my breath on the final outcome.

I need to see how it works as a pry bar...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
Old 04-08-2010, 22:30   #5
zeke
Asset

The sheathing system looks perfect for a upside down cross draw on the shoulder strap of a backpack/rucksack.

I'm hoping to handle one at OKCA and then make the purchase decision. This site has turned me into a knife junkie and made for some financial discussions with the wifey.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:47   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
The sheathing system looks perfect for a upside down cross draw on the shoulder strap of a backpack/rucksack.

I'm hoping to handle one at OKCA and then make the purchase decision. This site has turned me into a knife junkie and made for some financial discussions with the wifey.

Why would you want to carry a knife like that?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 14:38   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post

I love it and am going to keep testing since the H in LHR has asked me to try to break it.... and what Bill asks me to do to one of his designs, I try to accomodate - I'm not holding my breath on the final outcome.

I need to see how it works as a pry bar...
Did you ever get the LHR to break?

I was looking at this knife as a more value focused (cause I'm not that rich) utility knife and have read a few claims that they have been broken.
Not wanting to rely on unfamiliar internet forum claims, I thought I'd revisit this thread to see if the knife is holding up.

Any other users try out the LHR? What is your experience?

Thank you,

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 15:54   #8
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Did you ever get the LHR to break?

I was looking at this knife as a more value focused (cause I'm not that rich) utility knife and have read a few claims that they have been broken.
Not wanting to rely on unfamiliar internet forum claims, I thought I'd revisit this thread to see if the knife is holding up.

Any other users try out the LHR? What is your experience?

Thank you,
I have not broken it - but have had to sharpen it a few times in the past year... it does nice work on blalckberry canes, small poplars (range clearing), hempocks, cedars.... you get the idea. Really Fine work, well, notsomuch. Batoning kindling, peachy fine cool and groovy; normal camp chores, yeah buddy. It does open crates, boxes, corrugated and waxed materials expediently.

It's my yard work backup to the kukri machete too....

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56   #9
Mistwalker
Asset

I got one for a friends graduation last year. If I could have afforded it I would have gotten him a Pacific but then I saw the LHR. Being a fan of old Gerbers but hearing some bad things about some newer ones I put it through a few tests before gifting. Being as it was intended as a gift I didn't try to kill it, just test its functionality and its durability some. The closest I had to an actual concern with the knife was the handle side of the guard being a little pointy, I liked the contours of the handle. The 420HC seemed to be heat treated well, and it felt good in the hand.

I did a short review of it on Blade Forums. I'm not sure how many pictures I could attach here or how outside image hosting codes work here. I looked and didn't see any information on not linking to other sites so I'll post a link to the review and the photos here.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-Harsey-Reeve-)
Mistwalker is offline   Reply With Quote