Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 03-04-2018, 07:02   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

Roger Bannister Passes

Some of the younger ones might not know the name, but as a very small kid this man was actually my inspiration to, well... run.

Just a tick-mark on a stop-watch, but was as big a deal back then as it was when Chuck Yeager went just a little faster in 1947.

On the sub- 4 minute mile:
Quote:
"It became a symbol of attempting a challenge in the physical world of something hitherto thought impossible," Bannister said as he approached the 50th anniversary of the feat. "I'd like to see it as a metaphor not only for sport, but for life and seeking challenges."
Full story at this link.

RIP Sir.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:20   #2
tonyz
Area Commander

Great post Badger thank you.

Many “experts” at the time thought that breaking the 4 minute mile was impossible.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:51   #3
Box
Quiet Professional

The challenge of attempting something believed to be impossible.

Over 60 years have passed since the impossible 4-minute barrier was broken. In those 60 years, many men have broken the four-minute barrier but only 17 seconds has been shaved from that 4-minute barrier.

The 1500m makes the numbers look a little faster (25 men have run 1500 in less than 3:30), but it is not quite the full mile.

More to the credit of Mr Bannister is how he prioritizes his glory as the man that broke the 4 minute barrier, "None of my athletics was the greatest achievement, My medical work has been my achievement and my family with 14 grandchildren. Those are real achievements."

Rest well Mr Bannister, you ran one hell of a race!
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:52   #4
cbtengr
Area Commander

I remember reading about this feat as a young boy in elementary school, truly someone to look up to but as pointed out quite modest. RIP Sir!
Old 03-04-2018, 14:34   #5
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Roger Bannister's life was an inspiration to me, also. I actually got my mile time down to 4:30 in 1971 while in the 5th SFG. They thought the tie was wrong so I had to do it again. I ran the second one 45 minutes later in 4:38...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 15:34   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Roger Bannister's life was an inspiration to me, also. I actually got my mile time down to 4:30 in 1971 while in the 5th SFG. They thought the tie was wrong so I had to do it again. I ran the second one 45 minutes later in 4:38...
I got the "privilege" of one of those "mulligans" also one time. Smoked it in basic though & still have that letter from the Brigade CO for high PT score that cycle. And the snarky comments of "who the hell you think you are Private, Roger Bannister?" LOL.

Reflecting back now, Mr. Bannister's life (among many others) is a reminder to the things we can do which we might never know influences someone else in a positive way.

Alright kids - OFF the fucking couch, NOW! Go outside & get some cuts & scrapes.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 21:29   #7
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I remember reading about this feat as a young boy in elementary school, truly someone to look up to but as pointed out quite modest. RIP Sir!
I did also he was in 100 greatest athletes book I had....to be honest I did not know he was still alive wow
Old 03-06-2018, 22:23   #8
PSM
Area Commander

I knew of Bannister but was 3 when he broke 4:00. I do remember Jim Ryun when he did it as he was only 3 years older than me. An American high schooler from Kansas. And later a Congressman from Kansas from 1996 to 2007.

Rest in Peace, Sir Roger!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote