Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-19-2010, 09:23   #1
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

Vest Loadout Question for QPs

Gentlemen,

Currently in Language Phase, working marksmanship and transition drills during down time. I am learning from a fairly proficient 3-gun shooter but his vest is too slick. He sets his gear up without regard for radio, med-pouch, and all the other things I have on mine right now.

Been looking at the OIF / OEF loadouts posted by QPs on this board. What I have gathered so far:

Pistol - strong side hip carry, on a belt extender to clear below body armor.

Rifle Mags - Multiple options here, looking for input. Seems like everyone runs 5-6 mags on their vest, either weak side, flat against the body, or center chest, flat against the body.

Pistol Mags - Again, looking for input. I've found weak-side, layered on top of rifle mags, weak side above rifle mags, weak side belt carry, and center-chest above rifle mags. I am leaning towards half on the belt, half on the vest, so as to always have pistol mags available.

Med Pouch - Unit SOP, but ... seems like a choice between hard to access (in a plate pouch, or way to the rear on right side) or in the way (below arm on strong side). I would like to be able to reach my own tourniquet / field dressing.

Radio Pouch - Always liked the MBITR weak side, so knobs could be operated by weak hand without lowering M4. With the mags weak side that could be a prob. Center chest interferes with prone. Suggestions?

Holsters - Currently running a Caspian 1911 in a Safariland 6004 holster or a Beretta 92F in a BI SERPA, which needs replacement. Have looked at other Safariland belt holsters and Blade Tech, not sure which way to go.

Thanks for reading.

Respectfully,

Barn Owl

Iraqi Police Sergeant: "But I have a pickaxe."
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 20:06   #2
turboprop
Quiet Professional

Sir,

Like a lot of responses to questions on here my answer would be to focus on the near term. Once you get to your team you will be squared away with the kit you need and hopefully some good examples of how to run it. That being said, as a new Team Leader you aren't going to be turning any heads with how sweet your gear is set up anyway. If you have your own plate carrier you will likely find yourself wearing an issued one anyway, so wait till you get one. If your question was just to facilitate the training you are doing on your own, than you can probably still afford to hold off. If you show up with a good grasp of the fundamentals you will be ready to train. New guys that run into problems usually have issues with marksmanship fundamentals and not switching from slick to kit or adapting to some new technique. Hopefully my response was not too rambling to get the point across, don't worry about it.

Respectfully,

Turboprop
turboprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 20:53   #3
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

I think you are on the right track with training in your off time on the important stuff.
Here is a picture of my personal chest rig (since I am not about to go drop a few grand right now on personal owned body armor) I train with and also used at SAGE. It is set up just like how my kit was in country just without the armor. As you can see on the belt I have 2 fast mags and a dump pouch. I like the ability to quickly reload from my side instead of trying to fumble under stress trying to get a mag out of a center pouch. Its do-able just not as smooth.
a quick rundown of what is there from left to right:
Paraclete General purpose pouch
Paraclete medical pouch
ATS general purpose pouch
Paraclete smoke pouch
2x Paraclete pistol mag pouch
Mayflower PRC-148 pouch
gurber w/ issued pouch
It is a modified ATS chest rig w/ 4 internal m4 mag slots fast linked to a HSGI hydration pouch.
On the back of the hydration pouch is a Tactical Tailor E&E pouch.
On the belt is 2 fast mags
EGL loppy
Comp-Tac paddle holster w/ Glock 19
(on a full plate system I have a EGL Fugly 3 admin pouch that sits above the mags)

I also would be interested in how some people run there kit here. Everyone has there own technique... some are better than others.

Last edited by C0B2A; 10-28-2019 at 19:50.
C0B2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 20:57   #4
testedone
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0B2A View Post
I think you are on the right track with training in your off time on the important stuff.
Here is a picture of my personal chest rig (since I am not about to go drop a few grand right now on personal owned body armor) I train with and also used at SAGE. It is set up just like how my kit was in country just without the armor. As you can see on the belt I have 2 fast mags and a dump pouch. I like the ability to quickly reload from my side instead of trying to fumble under stress trying to get a mag out of a center pouch. Its do-able just not as smooth.

I also would be interested in how some people run there kit here. Everyone has there own technique... some are better than others.
Is that an ESSTAC setup?
testedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 21:41   #5
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

Turboprop,

Thanks for the near-target reminder. I'm not looking to turn heads or impress anyone ... just want good habits.

C0B2A,

Thanks for the setup pic. Never used those fast mags before. Do the mags stay in there pretty well?

v/r

Barn Owl

Old 01-19-2010, 21:55   #6
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

There is a hilarious video on youtube of milspec monkey testing how well a full mag will stay in the fast mag. Go check it out.
Old 01-19-2010, 23:43   #7
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Sir,
SFAUC, shooting package or range time with your ODA will get you up to speed. I'm breaking in a new Team Leader myself, and we just went to a shooting package with VTAC.

Just remember your a enabler so be prepared to carry two PRC-148's and a pouch on the back for maybe Sat on the move. A good admin pouch on the front or quarterback panel so you can write your slant reports, carry maps, GOS/GRG, etc

Last trip, my old TL didn't fire his M-4 or M-9 once, but he sure used his initals for danger close for CAS a heck of alot of times along with our CCT/JTAC.

Diffferent teams do things differently as to what their TL's carry, so take things with a grain of salt.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:02   #8
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

18C4V,

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Wilco.

v/r

Barn Owl

Old 01-22-2010, 06:35   #9
Kingfisher
Quiet Professional

IMO it is not only nice to be able to reach you tourniquet it is a must. You better be able to reach it with ease, with both hands, and be able to apply it with one.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:47   #10
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

Kingfisher,

I completely agree. As a Delta, where do you like to see the med pouch?

v/r

Barn Owl

Old 01-22-2010, 15:12   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
Kingfisher,

I completely agree. As a Delta, where do you like to see the med pouch?
To add to my Brother's TQ advice, the 2-is-1 and 1-is-none adage applies.

My guys carry their TQ's mounted on the front of their armor somewhere accessible easily with both hands. If they are CAT's they should have the velcro tabbed as well. They should not be in their wrapper either...

As for the BOK itself, I really dont care where they mount it as long as its marked. Mandating the placement of the BOK isnt much different than my Bravo mandating where I place my mags or frags... Accessibility of your BOK has to be tempered with accessibility of the other items you have to carry: Mags, Frags, Radio, etc...

I utilize a Tactical Tailor H1 GP pouch mounted on 1" flat nylon (with fastex buckle) webbing and wear it similar to a fannypack. I can move it around as need be and can get to it easily. I can also wear it in the event I am not wearing armor (low pro) without having multiple BOK's in different configurations. It contains a 28fr NPA, 2-(14ga) caths, 2-Halo chest seals, 3-H&H gauze, 2-Ace wrap, Celox, 2-safety pins, and 2-mosquito forceps...my TQ's are on my vest and one on my rifle (parachutist retention banded to the buttstock.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 14:57   #12
Kingfisher
Quiet Professional

Placement is not a huge concern as long as it accessible and clearly marked. KISS formula applies concerning the contents. I have seen a lot of guys carry stuff they never use, but they run out of kerlex.

Remember, this gear will be used for self/buddy aid until the medic gets to you. Be able to use it effectively. If you can stop bleeding and occlude a chest injury and you will probably be able to save the majority of casualties that are salvageable. So I would focus the contents on that.

Good questions.
Old 02-03-2010, 18:37   #13
eggroll
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
Is that an ESSTAC setup?
Testedone...

It was named in his text, it is an ATS chest rig
Old 02-03-2010, 19:05   #14
testedone
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll View Post
Testedone...

It was named in his text, it is an ATS chest rig
Thanks but when he added the list of equipment it was after I asked the question...

Last edited by C0B2A; 01-19-2010 at 21:09. Reason: Added list of gear.

Thanks though
testedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 22:56   #15
Buckles
Quiet Professional

Barn Owl
When it comes to tourniquets I carry four of them, when something bad happens it is usually very bad. One on my body armor, secures with shock cord, one in my blow-out kit, the other two are in shoulder pocket lower leg pocket.
As for the rest of your Kit it is a constantly evolving, my Kit change more than a few times.
Buckles is offline   Reply With Quote