Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 04-08-2008, 17:45   #61
Books
Quiet Professional

They aren't as pretty and they melt to your barrel after a mag or two, but condoms work as a muzzle cover in a pinch. . .

- Jack Moroney
Old 04-17-2008, 18:46   #62
hotshot
Quiet Professional

muzzle covers

There are much better things to spend your money, or the Armys money on. If you are in a unit that just carries their weapons around the fob then maybe. But we would be shooting them off all the time and then having to scrape melted plastic off of our gun. And the condom thing, come on man. You should be conducting weapons maintenance anyways.

CH

Last edited by hotshot; 04-17-2008 at 18:46. Reason: spelling
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:18   #63
rzbk
Asset

Location: Currently down range, but stationed in GA...not far from Benning
A couple of buddies in my unit turned me onto a site that you Oakley fans will probably appreciate as much as I do. (http://www.usstandardissue.com) I get my Oakley stuff from there because the prices are damn near 50% less than a retail store. Good perk...they ship to APO's for those of you reading this thread that are down range.
rzbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35   #64
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

Essentials

A good knife

GPS

All Weather lighter
Old 05-20-2008, 23:17   #65
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbk View Post
A couple of buddies in my unit turned me onto a site that you Oakley fans will probably appreciate as much as I do.
Um, thanks but...http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...sstandardissue
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:58   #66
Weaponsguy76
Quiet Professional

Golfballs were clutch in Afghanistan. I would give a few warning shots out of the M2 or M9 to every vehicle or person who hadnt learned to slow down and move to the side of the road when we past by. All vehicles except the buses. Two many civilians to risk hurting. I had this one guy that drove a bus and no matter what I did or yelled he would always wave by us hauling ass because he knew we wouldn't shoot at a bus full of people. Throw a golf ball or two through his wind shield he pulled over everytime since. The look on his face the first time I reached back and launch those balls was hilarious. Never had anymore problems.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:13   #67
tinmanHRSO
Asset

G

Last edited by tinmanHRSO; 12-20-2008 at 23:17.
tinmanHRSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 18:19   #68
HOOT
Asset

Not in any order but the following.

Gaming Laptop
Helmet Camera. I have the POV which is a cool setup
Digital camera (looking for one that is dust and water proof. check out pentax cameras.
Petzl head lamp, unless you like tripping over newly constructed hesco baskets
video camera, hi def or not, maybe with image stabilization depending on what your doing
Subglasses, your choice and whatever your unit says as far as uniformity
knife
gerber tool
rechargable batteries 2 sets
100 MPH TAPE AND LOTS OF 550
windproof lighter
PSP
Portable DVD player
thumb drive or external hard drive
Ipod and extra earphones
External Speakers so you can set up in the humvee
pashtun, dari MP3 phrases so you can put it on your ipod, then maybe use external speakers to play certain phrases from your ipod to locals

next you need to worry about what items will you make you most effecitve while doing your job. since every1s job and mission is different i wont go into it too much but I.E
gloves
glasses
LBV setup
boots
map holder
etc.

A little overkill but your gone for a year or more. make it as comfortable as possible. ok ill shut up now

Last edited by HOOT; 07-27-2008 at 11:59.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 13:52   #69
regular guy
Asset

1. Ranger panties

If you wear a flight suit a lot, they are money. Unless you are just that guy who doesn't rock anything. Dirty.

2. Camping chair

3. Pelican tac light.

4. www.genuinetobacco.com ships to APO addresses. Man was not meant to dip Formalde-hagen. Often times you will see the date on the bottom of the can from 3 days ago. Really fresh.

5. The new Suunto x10 is the heat. Pricey, but what happened to the GPS on your rack that you ditched in the river? Great E and E plan.

6. Smart wool. Of anything.

7. Mechanics gloves. A few. Be careful, a lot of em aren't flash rated. Make sure yours are.

8. Merrells if you can. Solomons are nice too, so are Asolos. Combat boots are great for road marching and general use, but a trail-running/hiking shoe makes your money for you.

9. Converter plug.

10. Peltor's, Sordin's, some sort of over ear protection. I have used Peltor's for a couple years now, and no major complaints. I have used the Com-Tacs which were frustrating when you need to talk to someone and you get clipped by radio traffic because that has priority. Don't get the radio capable ones unless you really need the ability. I haven't ever used Sordin's, but apparently 3/75 has been using them for a while and some dudes from there like them better than the Peltor's. Sordin is MSA's Cadillac of ear pro, so don't get the Kia by geting the MSA. I HAVE used the MSA line and after the first mission it went straight back to supply. Garbage.

11. If you have internet access most of the time, look into going online to school such as University of Phoenix. Why waste all the down time on movies and shows? I know a lot of guys have high op tempo so I won't beat this one to death.

12. If this applies, don't be afraid to buy some of your own armor. The IOTV is cumbersome, impractical, and heavy for foot movements. The army is fielding a Eagle industries version of the Ranger Body Armor that is quick release, light weight, and better defined for the foot soldier. Pricey again, but look into similar styles if your command climate is good. Especially if you are in a Scout/Recce/Recon unit.

Dear Joey, please don't spend 500 dollars on a GPS watch. That's what your Team Leader is for.
regular guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 18:12   #70
caveman
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post

4. www.genuinetobacco.com ships to APO addresses. Man was not meant to dip Formalde-hagen. Often times you will see the date on the bottom of the can from 3 days ago. Really fresh.
That site is priceless, our px went months without copenhagen.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:34   #71
LR27
Auxiliary

Kindle

Since bringing a stack of books on deployment is spatially impractical, I recommend investing in an Amazon Kindle. Compact, Wi-Fi capable, and the books are usually much cheaper than buying them from a store or online.

"Selection is a never ending process." - Anonymous Special Operations soldier
LR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10   #72
gits
Quiet Professional

I don't think anyone has said this but a good memory foam mattress top for your bed. Of course not everyone will ever end up having a bed to sleep on but if you got beds at your firebase then it definitely a lot more comfortable on your back.
gits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 15:08   #73
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Ok... I saw a couple of things I know would bring-

A good compass. ' nuff said.

A good battery charger (they have them for the CR123's used by most tac lights) or two - and rechargeable batteries - everready makes a good 15 minute charger for AA/AAA batteries - the batteries last about 10x longer than the non rechargeables in my digital camera.

A good neck knife/boot knife.

extra Rx Glasses (2 extras, plus you normal wear pair) if you wear them - a good glasses keeper/strap, and a hard case to keep an extra pair with you.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 17:06   #74
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsguy76 View Post
I had this one guy that drove a bus and no matter what I did or yelled he would always wave by us hauling ass because he knew we wouldn't shoot at a bus full of people. Throw a golf ball or two through his wind shield he pulled over everytime since. The look on his face the first time I reached back and launch those balls was hilarious. Never had anymore problems.
Now that is funny!! Brings to mind a potatoe gun!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:14   #75
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post

12. If this applies, don't be afraid to buy some of your own armor. The IOTV is cumbersome, impractical, and heavy for foot movements. The army is fielding a Eagle industries version of the Ranger Body Armor that is quick release, light weight, and better defined for the foot soldier. Pricey again, but look into similar styles if your command climate is good. Especially if you are in a Scout/Recce/Recon unit.
We were warned about this.

Our unit actually told us if we were killed wearing non-issue armour that our SGLI would be revoked.

Not sure of the legalities of this, but something to consider-