Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-01-2011, 22:39   #1
18C4V
Quiet Professional

MFF ATIC gear suggestions

Nothing against the school house welcome letter, but I found the letter needs some improvement.

Garmin 401 Fortrex, you can attach it your body armor and look at while under canopy, the best feature is that you can transmit via wireless the grids of the drop zones sorta like a cloning cable.

Ops core or MSA ARC Rails for your ACH along with the ops core or MSA POM attachment straps. The school house issues the bonnet which is made of a similiar material of the ammo bandoleer. The bonnet attachs to your POM mask, but due to the cloth nature of the bandoller causes the bonnet to move under your helmet thus potentially obsuring your vision under canopy.

Lots of guys showed up with out the "rails" but ended up purchasing them by the end of the course.

Having a finger PTT is money, the school house did have a few extra to borrow, but those get issued out real fast. Some guys used the throat mikes, but those were tough to hear if the user's mike shifted which it usually did.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

PM Sent!
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35   #3
18C4V
Quiet Professional

I got the PM's, and I'll try to reply later on this afternoon or tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2011, 20:50   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

...keep in mind there is a USASOC directed Authorized use list that governs what you can wear when you step off the ramp.

Not all Gucci gear is approved for MFF operations, just to keep everyone out of trouble, look on the PAS/AAUL before you just assume its ok to take on a jump.

...just my two cents
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 03-03-2011 at 20:53.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 21:01   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
...keep in mind there is a USASOC directed Authorized use list that governs what you can wear when you step off the ramp.

Not all Gucci gear is approved for MFF operations, just to keep everyone out of trouble, look on the PAS/AAUL before you just assume its ok to take on a jump.

...just my two cents
Thanks for the reminder Billy (knew we should have kept you in USASFC(A) ). We don't always do a good job of staying within the left/right limits. Then when something does happen, the Safety Nazis are crawling up everybody's a$$.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 21:12   #6
farcefiasco
Asset

Last edited by farcefiasco; 05-06-2011 at 20:10. Reason: Edited for accuracy.
farcefiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 21:17   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcefiasco View Post
Haven't been to the school yet, but our Team has been training the way taught at the school since our TS graduated from there.

Two small bungees to secure your NODs (some people use one long one wrapped around the helmet, but we all used two, knotted and slid under a small notch we made in the rails).

On the very gucci, but still approved, list the Ops-Core ACH Occ-Dial liner is really nice for helping keeps your NODs in the right place during MFF ops. Just ratchet it down and it keeps them from overweighting the front of the helmet and letting it slip.

We ordered all this (and the rails, straps and GPS) through the company. Still waiting on those finger switches, though.....man those would be nice.
There are only three approved chin straps for use with the ACH/MICH. The issued chin strap, the x-nape strap and the H-nape strap. There are several new items being pursued but they still do not have approval.
PM me and I can get you pointed to the current version of the PAS/AAUL as well as any other confirmations that may be of interest.

Trust me... I know the guy that 'staffed' the list.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 03-03-2011 at 22:10.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 22:16   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I know everyone wants the latest and greatest right now, but trust me, Billy has the real gouge on this and I would listen to him.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 22:56   #9
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Billy is the man, he squared me away with the school welcome letter and gave me solid advice for ATIC to include equipment.

The ATIC instructors made it clear about authorized gear and gave us the USASOC Policy Letter 20-10 (which a certain member of this board wrote)

I'll take the current copy of the PAS/AAUL since my copy is Jan/2010.