Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 09-14-2017, 10:36   #1
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Several soldiers injured in explosion at Fort Bragg, officials say

Topic of the day is the increase of training accidents in all of the services; blaming readiness, budget cuts, lack of training......

At least 15 soldiers were injured in an explosion at a during a training exercise on Fort Bragg in North Carolina on Thursday, officials said. The soldiers are part of the U.S. Army's Special Operations Command and were training on a range at the Army base.

Authorities said at least 15 soldiers were transported by medical helicopter to Womack Army Medical Center after an explosion on one of the training fields, WRAL reported. "There are injuries but we don't know extent," Special Ops Command Lt Col Rob Bockholt told Fox News. It was also not clear what caused the explosion.

The incident at Fort Bragg comes just a day after a vehicle fire at Camp Pendleton in California left 15 Marines injured — eight of them in the burn unit — following a training exercise accident. So far this year, more U.S. troops have been killed in training than in combat in Afghanistan.

On the Senate floor yesterday, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., demanded the passing of the new defense bill which pours billions more into training and getting aircraft flying again, what the military calls “readiness.”

More than 50,000 active duty personnel are attached to Fort Bragg, located in Fayetteville, N.C. It is the largest Army installation by population and covers about 161,000 acres. The Special Operations Command has about 23,000 soldiers spread over several sites.

Fox News' Lucas Tomlinson and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/14...e-outlets.html
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30   #2
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Prayers out for the injured.

Not surprised, but wish the MSM hadn't politicized it and just focused on the incident. I give two-bits about McCain and the rest of the critters toying with approps.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:18   #3
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Prayers out for the injured.

Not surprised, but wish the MSM hadn't politicized it and just focused on the incident. I give two-bits about McCain and the rest of the critters toying with approps.
Ret Sir,

Agree 100%!!!

Hope that all the injured make a full recovery!

Prayers Out!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22   #4
trinity
Auxiliary

Would these Soldiers be currently involved in Robin Sage? How soon would family of the injured be notified?
trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44   #5
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Studs..

Damn

From USASOC

Quote:
Training Incident on Fort Bragg Range

FORT BRAGG, N.C. – On Thursday, Sept. 14, a demolitions training incident involving students and cadre at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, occurred on a Fort Bragg Range.
Eight personnel were injured during the incident and were transported by air and ground to multiple hospitals in the area. The command is investigating the events leading up to the incident and is caring for its Soldiers and their families

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 13:17   #6
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Studs..

Damn

From USASOC
My first thought was the Demo range...
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 13:26   #7
TJ11B
Auxiliary

Thought and prayers for those injured.
Old 09-14-2017, 13:55   #8
Toaster
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
Would these Soldiers be currently involved in Robin Sage? How soon would family of the injured be notified?
My understanding is that Robin Sage is the culminating event for unconventional warfare, and at the end of the training pipeline. This would likely be in a different section of the course and would be Soldiers from a different class.

There's some info from U.S Army WTF Moments. They've got journalistic standards, and are more credible than the MSM.

https://www.armywtfmoments.com/2017/...ions-soldiers/

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 14:03   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

FayOb

FayOb is a little skimpy on details but was updated around 1500 hrs.

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2017...tions-training

Guess we'll have to wait for "the word".
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 14:08   #10
bblhead672
Area Commander

Prayers for speedy recovery of all the injured.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 14:15   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post

Most likely happened on the demo range........

And informing families would happen as soon as possible. It happened in the United States so it would not take long.

And they are probably holding back the news because not all families have been reached.

(My parents were never to be informed if I was injured or killed.......... I set that to another family member. )
Old 09-14-2017, 15:50   #12
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Warriors, Vaya con Dios
My Deepest condolences to the families.

Prayers out to the survivors..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 16:04   #13
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

Its my understanding that it was the 18C MOS Phase working with HME.

May the Fallen Rest In Eternal Peace and Honor and the injured heal as quickly and completely as possible.
Old 09-14-2017, 16:04   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Range 69, Coleman Demo, I heard.

Prayers out.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 17:00   #15
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Range 69, Coleman Demo, I heard.

Prayers out.

TR
Oh my. This is a tragedy.

Can only hope and pray for the families. What a horrible loss.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote