Old 02-26-2005, 19:01   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas
You're killing me Terry. Just sell ONE of the ten houses you and Nancy own or maybe ONE of the dozen high end sports cars. Damn rich MD, PHD, XYZLMNOP,etc famous scientific scholars.... LOL

sorry, couldn't resist CPT

Edit to add: This thread makes me think we need a ....
[coughing disguise]
GROUPBUY [/cough]
Hey, Toothpuller, you want to spend many hours of planning, coordinating, listening to bitching, figuring out which of 200 models is most desired (Leatherman had three), listen to whining about the company/owner's politics, front $100 each for these, collect money, wait for delivery, listen to complaining about delivery, unpack, repack, and ship, and listen to kvetching, determine final expense and send off check to charity, have at it.

I'll just call and order whatever I want myself and skip the lost time and headaches.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 19:05   #17
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I would look at the SureFire LED lights.

I like the L1, as discussed, the L2 (a two cell, two stage light, 15/100 lumens, 18 hours/1 hour), the L4 (basically an E2 with the KL4 LED head, 65 lumens for 2.5 hours), the 10X as a patrol light, the X200 handgun light (once the pressure pad switches are out), and the M600A Scout Light for a long gun (4.5 oz., 65 lumens, 3 hours, built-in Picatinny mount).

Just some things to think about.

TR
Sir, Its like your hardwired to my brain. Those are the exact combs I want but until I can re-fi the house its going to be baby steps.

My Dad got the 10X last year. OMFG is that thing badass.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 19:05   #18
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I ordered a G2 as a "tester" light. If I like it, I'll be back for something more high speed.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 19:10   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
I ordered a G2 as a "tester" light. If I like it, I'll be back for something more high speed.
If you can ever break out of your busy schedule, I can show you all of them sometime.

The G-2 is a great entry level light.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-26-2005, 19:12   #20
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Hey, Toothpuller, you want to spend many hours of planning, coordinating, listening to bitching, figuring out which of 200 models is most desired (Leatherman had three), listen to whining about the company/owner's politics, front $100 each for these, collect money, wait for delivery, listen to complaining about delivery, unpack, repack, and ship, and listen to kvetching, determine final expense and send off check to charity, have at it.

I'll just call and order whatever I want myself and skip the lost time and headaches.

TR
I am very pleased with my Leatherman tool and very much appreciate the efforts of everyone who worked so hard on that group buy.

Saca:

Get to work!
Old 02-26-2005, 19:12   #21
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
If you can ever break out of your busy schedule, I can show you all of them sometime.
You have a deal!
Old 02-26-2005, 19:35   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET
Hope that helps, do you need pictures?

Always!!
Well, since you asked Cap, here goes, left to right:

E1, E1 w/KL1 LED head, L1, E2e, L4, 6P, A2, L2, and a light body from the turning center. X200 is in the front.

The body is to show people that unlike I assumed, SureFire does not buy tubular stock and turn it, but buys solid extruded bar stock and bores it out after turning.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0015.JPG (118.5 KB, 113 views)

Old 02-26-2005, 19:37   #23
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Reverse sequence with (un)common objects for size comparison.

L2, A2, 6P, L4, E2e, L1, E1 w/ KL1, E1.

Hope that helps.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0032.JPG (136.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0035.JPG (127.3 KB, 65 views)

Old 02-26-2005, 19:40   #24
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

The comparison objects are very helpful. On the Surefire site, the lack of same makes the lights look bigger than they really are.
Old 02-26-2005, 20:15   #25
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

[QUOTE=Sacamuelas] You're killing me Terry. Just sell ONE of the ten houses you and Nancy own or maybe ONE of the dozen high end sports cars. Damn rich MD, PHD, XYZLMNOP,etc famous scientific scholars.... LOL

sorry, couldn't resist CPT

Saca:

I am sure I deserved that! lol

But Nancy tells me that we are broke, and will remain so until we sell the Iowa City house, or the Albuquerque house. No doubt she is correct.

Terry
Old 02-27-2005, 00:34   #26
Air.177
Quiet Professional

TR,
Duly noted on the G2 vs. Z2 vs. G2Z vs. 6P statement. What I meant was the the performance of all of these lights is the same, and they differ in the composition and style of their exterior body.

You are correct, the L1 will last considerably longer than I am using the batteries, I change them because after about a month, sometimes two, the battery has become depleted enough that it only functions on Low beam. This is unacceptable so long as I am able to afford new batteries, thus I replace the batteries before they are completely flat.

Here's one for you though:
I have seen a number of fittings for sale in various places that allow one to fit the head from say, a 6P onto an Executive series light. Does anyone out there know where I can get a fitting that will allow me to fit a KL series head to a 6P or similar size light?

Now we're getting off into the Flashlight Minutia that Puts most folks to sleep.

One more thing, Anyone else seen/handled one of the New "Thunder Ranch Illumination systems" from Streamlight yet? We got them in the store this week and while I do not care for them as a whole, they do have some interesting features such as the so called "Tiger ring"

Ok, ok Stop laughing and rolling your eyes for long enough to hear me out here. The "Tiger Ring" is basically an O-ring that has a small snaplink through it and is connected to the light in much the same manner as a lanyard would be. The thumb of the hand you intend to use the light with is then put through the ring and it allows the light to hang across the back of the hand when not in use. It basically acts in the same way as a lanyard, only with much less bulk and BS than a lanyard. I like the idea of this and need to play with it more. We are working on a retrofit kit for the surefire lights to be used similarly.

Oh, Link:TRIS

That is all

Last edited by Air.177; 02-27-2005 at 00:48.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:01   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air.177
Here's one for you though:
I have seen a number of fittings for sale in various places that allow one to fit the head from say, a 6P onto an Executive series light. Does anyone out there know where I can get a fitting that will allow me to fit a KL series head to a 6P or similar size light?
Hey, if you have an internet connection there, why not just look that up on the SureFire website.

"The KL5 LED conversion head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights flashlight to high-intensity LED technology. This is no typical low-output LED system – the KL5 uses selected ultra-bright 5-watt LEDs. When powered by two 123A Lithium batteries the KL5 produces a maximum of 65 lumens of light for an hour - more than a typical four D-cell alkaline flashlight - and provides over 3 hours of total useful light. LEDs not only provide the ultimate in shock-resistance, they also provide extended runtime since they produce light more efficiently at low wattage; a battery too depleted to run an incandescent lamp can still produce usable light from an LED. The KL5 is CNC machined from aerospace-grade aluminum and coated in a military specification Type III hard-anodized finish, and features an anti-reflective coated Pyrex® window. The KL5’s digital current regulation circuitry matches the LED's current requirements with battery output, maintaining a more consistent level of light output for the useable life of the batteries, unlike unregulated lights that are subject to a steady decline in light intensity beginning shortly after activation. This circuitry also protects the LED module from current and heat-related damage. Many LED flashlight manufacturers inflate the light output and usable runtimes of their LEDs, but SureFire provides realistic output and runtime specifications based on scientifically obtained measurements. Athough any LEDs can produce negligible light output for over 100 hours, the amount of useful light produced is of a shorter duration.

Fits SureFire 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights
Output/runtime - Maximum output of 65 lumens white light for one hour, followed by over 2 hours of useful light.
Construction - CNC machined aerospace-grade aluminum with hard anodized OD finish for extreme corrosion and wear-resistance
Pyrex® window
Flawless beam, no dark spots or rings
Length: 2.19" / Bezel: 1.47" / Weight: 2.8 oz."

Old 02-27-2005, 01:49   #28
militarymoron
Guerrilla

instead of copying and pasting, i'll just link to my pages that i have the lights that i have/use on (with pics too! ):
Personal lights
Weapons lights
cheers,
MM
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:51   #29
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

I have a 4D Maglite. Relatively cheap and I can use it as a baton if needed. Space and weight arn't a problem for me.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 22:05   #30
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Hey, if you have an internet connection there, why not just look that up on the SureFire website.

"The KL5 LED conversion head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights flashlight to high-intensity LED technology. This is no typical low-output LED system – the KL5 uses selected ultra-bright 5-watt LEDs. When powered by two 123A Lithium batteries the KL5 produces a maximum of 65 lumens of light for an hour - more than a typical four D-cell alkaline flashlight - and provides over 3 hours of total useful light. LEDs not only provide the ultimate in shock-resistance, they also provide extended runtime since they produce light more efficiently at low wattage; a battery too depleted to run an incandescent lamp can still produce usable light from an LED. The KL5 is CNC machined from aerospace-grade aluminum and coated in a military specification Type III hard-anodized finish, and features an anti-reflective coated Pyrex® window. The KL5’s digital current regulation circuitry matches the LED's current requirements with battery output, maintaining a more consistent level of light output for the useable life of the batteries, unlike unregulated lights that are subject to a steady decline in light intensity beginning shortly after activation. This circuitry also protects the LED module from current and heat-related damage. Many LED flashlight manufacturers inflate the light output and usable runtimes of their LEDs, but SureFire provides realistic output and runtime specifications based on scientifically obtained measurements. Athough any LEDs can produce negligible light output for over 100 hours, the amount of useful light produced is of a shorter duration.

Fits SureFire 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights
Output/runtime - Maximum output of 65 lumens white light for one hour, followed by over 2 hours of useful light.
Construction - CNC machined aerospace-grade aluminum with hard anodized OD finish for extreme corrosion and wear-resistance
Pyrex® window
Flawless beam, no dark spots or rings
Length: 2.19" / Bezel: 1.47" / Weight: 2.8 oz."

Too big. Yeah, it may be effective, but it is bigger than what I prefer. I would be much happier with a KL-4 head on a 6P or a G2. But, what do I know, I'm just a counter jock.

Just my .02
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote