Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-15-2004, 15:35   #31
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

NDD,
no quikclot....use traumadex or the newly FDA approved Rapid Deployment Hemostat (RDH, Marine Polymer Technologies, Inc, Danvers, MA....$$$$$$$$$$$) My trauma fellowship alma mater modified this product and had some great results (Journal of Trauma, Oct 2004, pg 756-759)
Quikclot has signifivcant problems and I would refer you to the newest TCCC manual/presentation by Capt. Butler as well as our article on the topic of hemostatic agents (Police:the law enforcement magazine. August 2004;28:52-59).
Otherwise if you need a valve for your kit I'll send one your way. Also, just pack 2 small Israeli bandages as the only bandages you take....they work.
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)

Last edited by swatsurgeon; 12-15-2004 at 15:38.
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 15:40   #32
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quickclot is issued. Are you talking about the burns? I will try to order some RDH.

I'm good on the valve/ kit thanks.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 15:50   #33
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

yes the burns....if it is not a DRY field, this stuff can kill anything it touches, i.e., nerve, soft tissue....it truly is the LAST resort in my book. I've tried traumadex in the OR on a liver injury...worked great, but I won't dare try quikclot in the OR, too many bad effects are possible unless 'perfect' circumstances are present which doesn't happen too often in the world we work in.
Did you say it was issued? The last memo we got hold of from the high muckity muck doc in the sandy area was it was only to be used as an absolute last resort for SF and other such trained individuals and it was forbidden to general medic use....do I have old intel?
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
Old 12-15-2004, 15:59   #34
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I'm in a different AO working for different people, so I don't know. I've heard both what you said and that it was GTG. I wouldn't use it except as a last resort anyway. After a tourniquet. But in this scenario, I would like to have it (or something like it) available.

This scenario is interesting to me because it happens here often, not with gringos so much. Mostly because the situation is perceived as improving and people relax and take more risks. I could very easily see this happening here. Even in town.

EMS is non-existant, although the hospitals are good.

Most of the kidnappings and assassinations occur on the roads while in transit.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-15-2004, 16:44   #35
Razor
Quiet Professional

Just out of curiosity, why the Israeli over the Cinch-Tight?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 16:49   #36
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Issued
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-15-2004, 16:58   #37
Razor
Quiet Professional

Gotcha.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 22:04   #38
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Swat Doc,
You good with the rest of the list?

Anybody got anything to add?

Here's the contents of the Pocket Kit

Contents

I haven't made any changes because the thing is so light and small I don't mind being redundant with the compass, mirror, Leatherman, etc.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:18   #39
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

rest of list is fine....what about meds?
I'm adding my med list card contents that I use...most everything is pill and takes up little room. Also, we're writing an article on kitchen vacuum sealer bags to store small gear like this, takes up less room when sealed and keeps the stuff from going out of date on the date stamped....US gov cipro stockpiles were found to be 'fresh' and active 4 and 6 yrs out of date because of the vacuum sealing.Medication List for Tactical EMS

BITES Primary Alternative Comments
Bat/raccoon/skunk
Augmentin 500mg p.o. TID Doxycycline 100mg p.o. BID; rabies: HRIG 20 IU/kg infultrate around wound, rest IM in gluteals; vaccine 1 mL IM in deltoid days 0, 3, 7, 14, 28
Cat Augmentin 500mg p.o. TID Doxycycline 100mg p.o. BID High incidence of infection
Dog Augmentin 500mg p.o. TID Clindamycin 300mg p.o. QID + Cipro 500mg p.o. BID Low infection rate, consider rabies exposure
Human Augmentin 500mg p.o. TID x 5 days; begin ASAP If signs of infection, IV Unasyn 1.5 gm q6 hr PCN allergy: Clinda 300 mg p.o. QID + Cipro 500 mg p.o.
Rat Augmentin 500mg p.o. TID Doxycycline 100mg p.o. BID No rabies worries
Snake (poisonous) Antivenom in E.D. Need tetnus
Spider: brown recluse E.D. evaluation
Infected Wound Augmentin 500mg p.o. TID Cipro 500 mg po BID
Penetrating Abdominal Wound Unasyn 3 gm IV Cipro 500 mg IV + Flagyl 500 mg IV
Penetrating Wounds; other Augmentin 500mg p.o. or Ancef 1gm IV Doxycycline 100mg p.o. BID
Anthrax Cipro 500 mg p.o. BID

Anaphylaxis: Epi (1:1000) 0.2-0.5 mL SQ or IM (EPIpen?)
Benadryl 50 mg p.o., IV, IM

pain: Bextra 20-40 mg daily po (no anti-platelet effects)
or alleve 500 mg q12hr if no obvious bleeding risk
if opiods are necessary, dilaudid po 1-3 mg every 4-6 hrs...small pills, longer duration of effect

Old 12-16-2004, 10:31   #40
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I might carry an epi pen, but I don't have room in the kit for the rest of it..

Scenario - got out of the vehicle to open the gate. Ambushed by BGs and had to seek cover away from vehicle by fire and manuever. Now hold up in rocks. Can see the vehicle but no way to get to it. Cavalry expected in NMT 1-2 hours.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:32   #41
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Is this it?

Another Great MM write Up

Or is it too big?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:47   #42
Mac
Asset

When I was in Africa, we had to wear civies and maintain a low weapons profile when going out on village assessment and the like. I took all my E&E gear in a 5'11 vest. It held the following:
MS 2000 strobe
VGS17 (1/4 size piece)
Silva compass (issue was too big)
Magelan GPS
Pilots E&E map
field dressing/cravat/quik clot
british/WETSU survival kit
zip lock bag of Cipro/anti diahreal (SP?)/pain control meds (sorry dont remember name of meds)
surefire C2 w/ red&IR covers
550 cord/tape
signal mirror
IR chemlight buzzsaw
cell phone/minutes card
lighter
spare batteries in a zip lock
couple of energy bars
Gerber multi-tool
2 small water bottles (pockets for those are on the sides)

Currency, cards, documents in the pants. Same with a folding knife.

The vest was did end up a little bulky, but nothing was showing. No prob getting in and out of vehicles. Weapons carry style was personal choice. I carried an M9/spare mags in a Blackhawk fanny pack (not my favorite way to carry, but it was low-profile). For long guns, one mag loaded, one in a buttstock carry pouch and a 4 pocket bandoleer that was in the vehicle (around my neck when I was sitting in it).
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:22   #43
ZoneOne
Auxiliary

No exp on my end but I've been thinking about this for a while.

- Figuring one of your legs is free to put this thing on, it could be worn w/ you all the time.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/optacticalgear_1826_7181515

HSG Drop Leg Magazine
- carrys knife
- add on pockets for what you need
- mag pouches or radio pouches would carry all the gear mentioned above
- if worn on your leg, no need to worry about it when stress levels rise

may be a little too big but it seems like a good idea to me
ZoneOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:54   #44
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

ZoneOne,

*Disclaimer* I'm not sniping you here:

Have you ever tried running with a leg panel on? IMHO it sucks.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07   #45
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

im comming in late here, but my "survival" pouch is really a signaling pouch. I use a SOE 500ml IV pouch that has:

pen flare gun
Navy 2 sided smoke/flare
signal mirror
aviators signal panel
basic 1st aid kit

the rest of the gear is on the first line belt.

this is for flight ops, not PSD type ops.