Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 03-24-2010, 18:09   #1
PriestFoxley
Asset

couple of related weapons questions.

first, bolt action rifles. Has anyone heard of an "lod" or "LoD" stock? google gets me nothing but a few vague references.

I jumped too fast when I bought a scope for my remington 700, and am deeply annoyed at my nikon. I did a bit of searching, and I think I settled on a leupold mark 4, fixed power of 10. mil-dot reticle, no light or anything. I figured if I am going to buy a scope, I should get a good one.

I understand there is a difference between "mil dot" and caliber specific reticles, and some sort of issue with variable power scopes. I know I have a lot to learn, but my scope choice is good, right?

My weekend is mostly rucking and shooting. I want to be SF more than anything else, so I ruck from Ft. Bliss to my storage unit, then to the local gun club to shoot. My SR-15 is simple to break down and stuff in a rucksack, but my Remington 700 isn't. Now that I am learning bolt guns, I want to ruck with that thing, but I am paranoid about some cop flipping out on me, so I want to conceal it somehow, just enough to be polite. Any ideas? I am using a standard issue ACU rucksack, if that matters.

and last, an AR question. I found one of the old rear sight/carry handle assemblies for an M16, and I wanted to take it apart, but I am not sure how. I just want to remove the rear sight apeture. Google knows nothing, just for sale ads and wiki entries.

Last edited by PriestFoxley; 03-24-2010 at 18:14.
PriestFoxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 19:17   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

You're giving me a headache. Use the search button. It really is your friend. I have never heard of a "lod" anything, let alone a stock. Scopes have been discussed ad nauseum. (And depending on how you plan to use it you probably screwed up again - the Leupold Mk 4 10X is a specialty scope that most of us have moved away from. Quality scope, very expensive, just not as versatile as a variable.) Drive to the range, it solves a lot of problems and doesn't attract unwanted attention to your cache site. NTM you can carry the other accoutrements that make a marksmanship session useful training. Do not disassemble the carrying handle. That's stupid. If you want a rear sight apperature, buy one. Why screw up a $75.00 assembly for a $5.00 part? Think - it'll save you a lot of grief later; especially if you seriously want to go SF.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 19:20   #3
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestFoxley View Post
first, bolt action rifles. Has anyone heard of an "lod" or "LoD" stock? google gets me nothing but a few vague references.

I jumped too fast when I bought a scope for my remington 700, and am deeply annoyed at my nikon. I did a bit of searching, and I think I settled on a leupold mark 4, fixed power of 10. mil-dot reticle, no light or anything. I figured if I am going to buy a scope, I should get a good one.

I understand there is a difference between "mil dot" and caliber specific reticles, and some sort of issue with variable power scopes. I know I have a lot to learn, but my scope choice is good, right?

My weekend is mostly rucking and shooting. I want to be SF more than anything else, so I ruck from Ft. Bliss to my storage unit, then to the local gun club to shoot. My SR-15 is simple to break down and stuff in a rucksack, but my Remington 700 isn't. Now that I am learning bolt guns, I want to ruck with that thing, but I am paranoid about some cop flipping out on me, so I want to conceal it somehow, just enough to be polite. Any ideas? I am using a standard issue ACU rucksack, if that matters.

and last, an AR question. I found one of the old rear sight/carry handle assemblies for an M16, and I wanted to take it apart, but I am not sure how. I just want to remove the rear sight apeture. Google knows nothing, just for sale ads and wiki entries.
PF:

Too bad 3/1 didn't go through with hiring me to run a DM course last year or you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Before you get smoked by TR or PG (he, he, he) I will show some pity.

How about removing the stock from your receiver on the 700 when you want to put it in your ruck sack? That ought to take care of that problem. You shouldn't fear such a simple act. No, it won't change your zero in practical terms.

Your optic choice is defined by your requirements. If you don't have a clue what you want the optic to do for you, one is as good as another. Since you said you didn't like the Nikon, obviously you have some demand that the Nikon didn't offer you. So do some thinking in practical terms about your needs and do include range availability as you consider your needs. If you are limited to a 200 yard range for your practice -- you probably don't need to spend the money on an optic designed around 1000 yard shooting for example.

You can find many web sites that cater to guys who want to assemble AR's. Try Brownells as they even have little films. Or you can search for books that give detailed disassembly. One that I like is from Fulton Armory and it is well written with many detailed pictures.

Have fun!

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 19:22   #4
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
You're giving me a headache. Use the search button. It really is your friend. I have never heard of a "lod" anything, let alone a stock. Scopes have been discussed ad nauseum. (And depending on how you plan to use it you probably screwed up again - the Leupold Mk 4 10X is a specialty scope that most of us have moved away from. Quality scope, very expensive, just not as versatile as a variable.) Drive to the range, it solves a lot of problems and doesn't attract unwanted attention to your cache site. NTM you can carry the other accoutrements that make a marksmanship session useful training. Do not disassemble the carrying handle. That's stupid. If you want a rear sight apperature, buy one. Why screw up a $75.00 assembly for a $5.00 part? Think - it'll save you a lot of grief later; especially if you seriously want to go SF.
PG:

Seconds too slow once again. He, he, he.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 19:37   #5
brokenvan
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It took me 2 minutes to find your answer...on Google.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23333957/T...ne-5-56MM-M4A1

Try page 163.

BV
Old 03-25-2010, 20:03   #6
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Now that I am learning bolt guns, I want to ruck with that thing, but I am paranoid about some cop flipping out on me, so I want to conceal it somehow, just enough to be polite.
I don't know what state you are in but you need to check your local laws. Concealing the rifle could be a big no-no. If an officer sees you rucking around and decides to do a field interview and he talks you into letting him look in your ruck, you are probably going to be in trouble. North Carolina has a law against concealing weapons (NCGS 14-269), which prohibits concealing any firearm, dirk, dagger, etc. You are allowed to conceal a handgun if you have a permit IAW NCGS 14-415.10. North Carolina does however, allow open carry of a firearm. Of course you still have to use common sense as other laws may apply in certain situations, such as going armed to the terror of the public.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 00:02   #7
PriestFoxley
Asset

PG:

As for the carry handle, I already did it. Thanks to Brokenvan, I have now discovered how to remove and replace roll pins on an unnecessary carry handle instead of a needed part. Take risk, learn new stuff, that sort of thing.

Gene:

3/1 is great, but we don't have much of a training budget yet, so other than sending a few guys to air assault or UBC, we don't have much. If I want to learn, I will pay for it myself.

Speaking of paying for the advice, how many pushups you want? The tip about stock removal was right on the money.

rdret1:

Good advice, but I checked. As long as they have gun locks on them and they aren't loaded, they are legal, I was just trying to keep from looking like trouble.
PriestFoxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:29   #8
MVP
Quiet Professional

LOD Stock

There was an LOD stock some years back that was quite a "brick". I believe the character marketing them was named Billy Martin and he had McMillan produce them. Says a lot that most guys have never heard of or seen one...

I know a guy that may have worked for Martin, I'll ask if has a stock or photos of one.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote