Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > In Memory Of

Old 03-06-2007, 10:53   #1
jasonglh
Guerrilla

Dedication of Veterans Grove and Mogadishu Memorial 4/20/07

A friend asked me to post this elsewhere but I thought maybe if anyone was in the area they might like to attend. This is at

West Perry High School
2608 Shermans Valley Road
Elliottsburg, PA

I found more info on the schools website here including lots of pictures.

Quote:
Battle Of Mogadishu Memorial

We’re almost there!

This first monument in the Veterans Memorial Grove will honor the soldiers whose story is told inthe book and motion picture Blackhawk Down. In 1992, the United Nations approved Operation Restore Hope, a multinational mission to Somalia, East Africa. This U.S. led effort was designed to end widespread lawlessness, a severe famine that had already left 300,000 dead, and a reign of terror by feuding warlords, who were seizing food shipments meant for famine victims.

On 3 October 1993, U.S. Delta and Ranger forces became engaged while successfully completing a mission to capture aides to a leading warlord, resulting in the Battle of Mogadishu. Nineteen American soldiers gave their lives, including Randall Shughart and Gary Gordon, who were posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for volunteering against overwhelming odds to rescue the crew of a downed Blackhawk helicopter. These two Medals of Honor were the first given since the Vietnam War. Randall Shughart’s parents reside in Perry County.

The 19 maple trees in the Veterans Memorial Grove represent the 19 soldiers who fell. Two large boulders will be placed near the entrance to the Grove at the southeastcorner of the site. Two bronze plaques will be attached. One will recount the story of the Battle of Mogadishu and include the 19 names.The second plaque will include the Ranger Creed. Adjacent to several athletic fields, this memorial will be viewed by many visitors and students. Dedication of the Grove and the Mogadishu Memorial is set for Friday, 20 April 2007.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I'll try to make it - but my moving schedule might keep me away.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote