Old 12-21-2015, 17:21   #16
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

I used this ammo for carry:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/735...free-box-of-20

The recoil was not bad due to the bullet weight. 158 grain LRN was more painful to shoot.
Rob_Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:55   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

When you think +P remember tha the .45 only travels at 830 FPS. Most arrows travel at 300FPS and many of those over penetrate their targets. Same goes for 9mm, fast and will over penetrate its target.

The ideal situation is to have all kinetic energy dissipate on/in target and not penetrate.

And....... if you cannot make a fast/accurate second shot because you cannot take the recoil of +P ammo then its time for a upper body workout, or join the FBI as they have all switched to the sissy 9mm........

Old 12-25-2015, 11:48   #18
MR2
Quiet Professional

I have two Springfield XDs w 3.3" barrels, one in .45 and the other in 9mm.

With a 3.3" barrel, I need all the FPS I can get.

I'm using Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel hollow Points in these.

.45 230gr tested w 4" barrel is 820 FPS at the muzzle.
9mm124gr tested w 3.5" barrel is 1150 FPS at the muzzle.

With this, the .45 still has the most punch while the 9mm has twice the accurate range.

As for recoil, there is some more, but the wife is good with either pistol and I'm only slightly better.

They both have a good flash, but not much more that the training ammo I use (Winchester white box, Blazer, Remington yellow box).

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:47   #19
JamesIkanov
Asset

9mm Ammo Quest: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...DMgd-w4Yozc27i

Might be relevant to thread. Series of YouTube videos of various tests of 9mm ammo out of "pocket pistol" sized guns.

9mm Ammo Reviews: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF

This series is the same stuff but with a focus on "duty" sized handguns, or in other words, compact or G19 sized guns.
JamesIkanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 19:29   #20
have_gun
Asset

Hogue Rubber Grip

You'll want to cover the back of the grip frame if you're going to shoot it often.
https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-.../dp/B000KOVCFI
Old 09-19-2017, 15:41   #21
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

+P Ammunition ?

AS ALWAYS, SHOT PLACEMENT is the key factor that will yield a lethal blow to an assailant. +P ammunition is small arms ammunition that has been loaded to a higher internal pressure than standard ammunition of its caliber. Modern high quality ammunition such as Hornady critical duty, Speer Gold Dot, Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore, Federal Premium HST, Sig Sauer Elite Performance ammunition. This ammunition is tested to conform with the SAAMI specifications, and will get the job done; If the shot is placed on a vital organ, the brain, heart ect.

REGARDS, Tom Kelly
Old 09-19-2017, 18:45   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Holy necropost.

Federal has a full product line of HST hollowpoints, both regular and +P. Good rounds.

The difference between the +P and the standard loads (in the same bullet weights) contradicts the assumption that faster hollowpoint bullets penetrate deeper. In fact, the faster bullets expanded sooner and therefore, ran out of energy quicker, leaving a shallower, but wider wound.

As always, shot placement is the key. Not too many people will walk off a head shot.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote