Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 01-03-2013, 14:18   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Democrats pull plug on gun, ammo bans

Let's hope this is the shape of things to come. If they can't pass this in Illinois, then let's hope they've got the sense to see where it will go at the federal level.

Quote:
SPRINGFIELD — There’s not enough support in the Illinois Senate to impose tough new restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.

In a setback for gun-control advocates in the wake of the killings of school children in Connecticut, the Illinois Senate was poised to adjourn Thursday without voting on two pieces of legislation aimed at limiting access to certain kinds of weapons and bullets.

Although the two proposals could emerge again when the legislature reconvenes next week, the lack of action shows the General Assembly remains divided on how to balance Second Amendment issues.

A spokeswoman for Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, offered no timetable for when the gun safety proposals might surface again.

“We will take some time to work on these important issues to advance them in the near future,” Rikeesha Phelon noted in a message to reporters.

One proposal would restrict the possession, delivery, sale and transfer of semiautomatic weapons, including handguns and rifles.

The National Rifle Association lobbied against the measure, saying the ban would take as many as 50 percent of long guns off the market in Illinois. Gun manufacturers also said the proposal could force them to lay off workers.

The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Antonio Munoz, D-Chicago, would allow people who currently own such weapons to keep them as long as they register the firearms with the Illinois State Police.

Sen. Dan Kotowski, D-Park Ridge, sponsored the proposal that would limit ammunition magazines to 10 or fewer rounds.

Gov. Pat Quinn has pushed for a ban on assault-style weapons, but a spokeswoman recently suggested action could come later this spring.
http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-re...a4bcf887a.html

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:30   #2
koz
Quiet Professional

That is good news for now.

I've encouraged everyone I know (who likes freedom and guns) to write their local legislators, US rep and Senators to vote against any gun control legislation. I've also written McConnell and Boehner to ask them to procedurally block any gun control legislation. The volume of voters and correspondence does make a difference.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:33   #3
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Some are reporting it is not really dead yet.

http://daysofourtrailers.blogspot.co...t-not-out.html
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 21:16   #4
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Let's hope this is the shape of things to come. If they can't pass this in Illinois, then let's hope they've got the sense to see where it will go at the federal level.
You assume sense at the federal level? You have more faith than I.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"

Last edited by Ghost_Team; 01-03-2013 at 21:19.
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 22:07   #5
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Illinois Democrats...they haven't given up, they just found something more dirty and rotten to do for the moment...they will try again, they always do!!!

I swear the only support for that bill is with the Chicago area folks...everyone south of I-80 is the polar opposite of the "Chity-folk"!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02   #6
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
Illinois Democrats...they haven't given up, they just found something more dirty and rotten to do for the moment...they will try again, they always do!!!

I swear the only support for that bill is with the Chicago area folks...everyone south of I-80 is the polar opposite of the "Chity-folk"!
Most "Chity-folk" here in Chicago would like to see Madigan-Daley/democrat-republican, et al. combine fail and fade away. However, thanks to the corruption that has permeated though out the state, we are saddled with the powers that be. You may fault Chicago politicians, but please don't blame the entire victimized population of "Chity-folk"

Yours sincerely,
Chity-folk (careful how you pronounce it)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48   #7
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacOfficer View Post
Most "Chity-folk" here in Chicago would like to see Madigan-Daley/democrat-republican, et al. combine fail and fade away. However, thanks to the corruption that has permeated though out the state, we are saddled with the powers that be. You may fault Chicago politicians, but please don't blame the entire victimized population of "Chity-folk"

Yours sincerely,
Chity-folk (careful how you pronounce it)
For the record...I lived in Springfield and New Lenox (a little white bred bedroom community just a short train ride away from the James R. Thompson Center)...my Mother was pretty heavy into the Illinois political scene and Democrat party machine for 25 to 30 years. She worked for Roland B and Dicky D at various times. When I was younger I got roped into doing campaign support stuff for "DA DIMS" at the state fair, the Navy Pier and other places.

I got out as fast as I could...Thank You Unlce Sam and the US Army!!! And no, I don't blame the folks...just the ones that keep voting for those corrupt pol-cats!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by SF18C; 01-04-2013 at 07:59.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09   #8
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Quote:
For the record...I lived in Springfield and New Lenox (a little white bred bedroom community just a short train ride away from the James R. Thompson Center)...my Mother was pretty heavy into the Illinois political scene and Democrat party machine for 25 to 30 years. She worked for Roland B and Dicky D at various times. When I was younger I got roped into doing campaign support stuff for "DA DIMS" at the state fair, the Navy Pier and other places.

I got out as fast as I could...Thank You Unlce Sam and the US Army!!! And no, I don't blame the folks...just the ones that keep voting for those corrupt pol-cats!
Thank you for the perspective. We share a similar background vis a vis the parental party affiliation. I didnt make the exfil.

It ain't your daddy's party anymore.
Old 01-04-2013, 14:05   #9
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Looks they are gonna try it again!

We are receiving news that the Governor may attempt to try to move these firearm and magazine bans through the house. They reconvene for their lame duck session this Sunday at 5:00 pm. More information to follow later today.

https://www.facebook.com/messages/10...51317270892200

Call 217-782-2728. This is the number to Illinois Senate President Culletons, they dont even ask where you are from, just your name and if you do/dont support it! Tell them you are from Chicago...it will drive them nuts!!!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Old 01-04-2013, 19:09   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
And no, I don't blame the folks...just the ones that keep voting for those corrupt pol-cats!
Hey!

Don't speak ill of the dead.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:33   #11
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Hey!

Don't speak ill of the dead.

TR

Ginger Ale all over the key board and some out the nose.

Thank you TR
Old 01-05-2013, 17:14   #12
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

They are voting on it tomorrow
http://www.examiner.com/article/illi...y-gun-ban-vote
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:02   #13
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Executive orders to follow from B. O.?
Gold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08   #14
ReefBlue
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Eagle View Post
Executive orders to follow from B. O.?
You cannot use an Executive Order to create a law.
Old 01-06-2013, 13:34   #15
Stiletto11
Guerrilla

Roberts didn't exactly help with the ObamaCare decision. They admitted it was a tax and tax legislation cannot come from the Executive Branch, so perhaps Roberts thought someone would be so bold to challenge it on that premise. If we weren't under an "Emergency" there could not be executive orders. Lincoln was the first to use an Executive Order when he suspended Habius Corpus. He also jailed Supreme Court Justice. American Hero?
Stiletto11 is offline   Reply With Quote