Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-14-2004, 17:27   #1
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Desert Gear

I need some input on what to bring to Iraq other than the standard issue gear junk. I have never been and have no idea about the environment except it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Thanks gents!!

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 18:01   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I haven't been, but I have several friends that have. They suggest:
1. Ballestic vest and helmet
2. Several guns and lots of ammo
3. Oakleys

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 18:29   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

Oakleys

Great, Oakleys. Just what you need to blend in with the locals, Win friends, and Influence people
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 18:30   #4
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
3. Oakleys

Aren't those issue now?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 18:34   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

1. There are times to blend in and there are times to simply kick Hadji's ass.
2. Do you have any idea how many media people and cameras there are over there? The odds of being on tv must be pretty good.

If they're not issue they should be and I'm claiming a grandfather clause to get mine.

Now, let's knock this off and let somebody answer Angel's question.

I'm sorry Angel.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-14-2004, 18:58   #6
Guy
Quiet Professional

1. Weapons cleaning kit.

2. Good boots w/socks.

3. UnderArmor gear...T-shirts, socks , underwear...etc!

4. CASH! and always carry it on you in different locations.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 19:04   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Camelback and some Platypus bladders
Good flashlights (Photons, Surefires, a headlamp), spare batteries and bulbs
Multi-tool
A good knife
Goggles
A good holster
Gunbelt and suspenders
Weapons cleaning gear (Otis)
Knife sharpening gear
Lens cleaning gear
Digicam
MP3 Player
Portable DVD player/Notebook with DVDs
Mini-binos
A good sling for the long gun
Baby wipes
Good load bearing set-up
Boots and socks
Bug out kit on you at all times
Frag grenade

Just a few off the top of my head.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 19:10   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Might also want to consider some language tapes and maybe enrolling in AMU or some other college courses you can do while away.

Books - to read then swap.

Boredom can be a formidable enemy.

Don't forget your FAK - with good meds for gastro issues. Footpowder.

Good gloves
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-14-2004, 19:24   #9
Max Power
Asset

Some things I learned/wished I had -

Drop leg magazine holder, my primary job was driver for my squad's truck, so all the gear on my IBA tended to get in the way. There are upsides and downsides to a set-up like this, but for the job I held, I wish I had had one over there.

Power converter, almost all of the generators over there run foreign power, so if you bring a portable DVD player (not a bad idea, as NDD said, boredom can be a bitch) you'll want a power converter so you can charge it back up.

Those are the only two things I could think of that weren't mentioned. Oh, if you have room in a CONEX for personal stuff, wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a tool chest, it'll come in VERY handy, just make sure you know who has what if you loan stuff out.

I'm sure your situation will be different than mine, but that's what I could think of from personal experience. Take it and think it through.

Best of luck, hope everything goes well for you over there.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:29   #10
stschmidt
Asset

The only things I would add are:

Checks - If you have to get cash from finance casual pay will get screwed up every time.

Laundry Detergent - The tabs worked pretty well

550 cord and 100mph/duct tape - can't seem to ever have enough

If you aren't issued decent sunglasses (we were issued low grade Wiley X's that were terrible) get some. We ordered through Oakley once we got here on the AMEX card, they have a decent govn't purchase plan and were helpful.

Just my .02
stschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:26   #11
Viking
Quiet Professional

"go" bag w/ minimum of extra 7 mags loaded, IV set, large scale map of the AO. VS-17 panel, IR strobe, couple packs of kerlex, extra radio battery, NODS w/ extra AAs, extra 123s for surefire, any other essential grab and go items if needed to bug out quick.
Old 07-17-2004, 00:23   #12
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Alrighty, then....my bag would weigh about 200 lbs, I only weigh 100 or so my damn self..........what are you guys trying to do, kill me before I get there??!! LMAO

Seriously....I meant FIRST time over. I have no damn idea what I am going to be doing. I swear. So to be honest, I guess more is better, because if you don't have it.....then Murphy shows up and starts screwing with everyone, right??

On the sunglasses issue. I have to get some new Oakleys, mine are shitty. So I will see if someone is going to order another round on military so I can get a decent pair or two.

Guy, I have to ask about the cash thing?? Why??

I probably shouldn't ask Guy that, should I??

I like Reaper's advice:
"Frag grenade"........works for me!!

NDD.....picked up a neat ass Arabic phrase book in the BX the other day..... "Don't forget your FAK - with good meds for gastro issues".............what the heck is THIS?? Speak Chair Force, man!!!

Max: thanks for the tip on the power converter....although I have not heard anyone else mention they needed one there, I will definitely check.

Stsschmidt: we Chair Force folks use plastic.....WTH is a check?? I don't even write checks for bills anymore.......oh, yeah....and perdiem, lots of perdiem.

Viking: at the rate of sounding ignorant.....what's a VS-17 panel??

Thanks, guys......keep the info coming, I am glad I asked!!!

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:08   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

First Aid Kit

Diarrhea
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-17-2004, 06:49   #14
Kyobanim

Not knowing how much 'personal' gear is allowed; how do you prioritize your lists?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:53   #15
Guy
Quiet Professional

Arrow Mission essential gear first!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Not knowing how much 'personal' gear is allowed; how do you prioritize your lists?
I would also try and figure out, where you are going(base/camp) and what exactly you will be doing.

Some of these places have all the amenities you would ever need. Thus alleviating the need to carry a lot of things which you can simply purchase in country tax free.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote