Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-11-2013, 07:00   #31
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
WaPo article paints a lack of solidarity issue.
That's understandable; no union would condone it, unless their members are forced to accept Obamacare.

As far as I'm concerned, the mission's already been accomplished thru the intent, but-"we'll just see what we'll see, won't we"?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:05   #32
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Does the "District" of Columbia have an NG unit? If so, who is the Governor in charge? BTW, my son's NG drill this month has been cancelled due to the "slimdown". "My, my, my, said the spider to the fly."

Pat
Pat

Glad you mentioned it. I was getting to comment on that.

The answer is NO....

I still would like to see a group of truckers do this...
You might want to tell MG Errol Schwartz that. He is Commanding General, Joint Force Headquarters, District of Columbia National Guard, and acts ad Adjutant General of the DC National Guard. Since there's no Governor, the President appoints the Adjutant General.

The total strength is about 2,700 soldiers and airmen. The main formation is the 372nd Military Police Battalion, and there are also various command and control formations, CS and CSS units.

On the Air National Guard side, you have the 113th Wing with the 121st Fighter Squadron (F-16C/D interceptors) and the 201st Airlift Squadron (C-38 and C-40 executive transports), again plus support units.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:50   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Does the "District" of Columbia have an NG unit? If so, who is the Governor in charge? BTW, my son's NG drill this month has been cancelled due to the "slimdown". "My, my, my, said the spider to the fly."

Pat
Yes.

http://states.ng.mil/sites/dc/Pages/...onalGuard.aspx

The TAG is a MG who is appointed by the POTUS.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15   #34
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Yes.

http://states.ng.mil/sites/dc/Pages/...onalGuard.aspx

The TAG is a MG who is appointed by the POTUS.

TR
Interesting, thanks. I guess the Praetorian Nation Guard isn't effected by the shutdown.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:32   #35
Sdiver
Area Commander

Here is the link to the DC traffic cams .... http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS/index.html

Not seeing the traffic "snarl-up" that they promised, but this is a three day event.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30   #36
JHD
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Here is the link to the DC traffic cams .... http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS/index.html

Not seeing the traffic "snarl-up" that they promised, but this is a three day event.
This is Friday, which is already lighter than normal due to flex work schedules (except in the summer when everyone is leaving twn). With the shut down, traffic is even lighter. The real test will start at 3PM rolling through 7PM.
JHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:59   #37
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=p...%3DY34-I4Ki1kk

Its less than a minute but at least there is some activity going on.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:55   #38
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=p...%3DY34-I4Ki1kk

Its less than a minute but at least there is some activity going on.
This is from 2008.
Old 10-11-2013, 17:13   #39
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
You might want to tell MG Errol Schwartz that. He is Commanding General, Joint Force Headquarters, District of Columbia National Guard, and acts ad Adjutant General of the DC National Guard. Since there's no Governor, the President appoints the Adjutant General.

The total strength is about 2,700 soldiers and airmen. The main formation is the 372nd Military Police Battalion, and there are also various command and control formations, CS and CSS units.

On the Air National Guard side, you have the 113th Wing with the 121st Fighter Squadron (F-16C/D interceptors) and the 201st Airlift Squadron (C-38 and C-40 executive transports), again plus support units.
Thanks learn something every day. So is he a Great O yes man?
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 17:30   #40
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng13 View Post
This is from 2008.
My bad, I didn't see a date.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 17:46   #41
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

For what it's worth, the DCARNG drill for the weekend has been "postponed" due to the shutdown. As well as other Guard activities/schools/training for most units. If that violates OPSEC please remove, but it has been posted online already for DC and other state units affected by this shutdown. Interesting times.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 18:47   #42
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHD View Post
This is Friday, which is already lighter than normal due to flex work schedules (except in the summer when everyone is leaving twn). With the shut down, traffic is even lighter. The real test will start at 3PM rolling through 7PM.
The weather jacked up the traffic...which is not hard to do in the NCR. You mention precipitation and the roads jam.

Wish there had been a better showing. The MSM will be all over the less-than-expected results of the effort. Unlike other stories that they conveniently "miss".

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:10   #43
JHD
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
The weather jacked up the traffic...which is not hard to do in the NCR. You mention precipitation and the roads jam.

Wish there had been a better showing. The MSM will be all over the less-than-expected results of the effort. Unlike other stories that they conveniently "miss".
Agree with you that there had been a better turn out. Even with the rain, traffic wasn't too bad, considering. You are correct that when it rains, snows, or whatever here, traffic is a worse nightmare then normal.

Had the govt not been shutdown, and a Tues, Wed or Thurs, the few trucks that did show would have had a much bigger impact.
JHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:48   #44
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHD View Post
Agree with you that there had been a better turn out. Even with the rain, traffic wasn't too bad, considering. You are correct that when it rains, snows, or whatever here, traffic is a worse nightmare then normal.

Had the govt not been shutdown, and a Tues, Wed or Thurs, the few trucks that did show would have had a much bigger impact.
They should stay till Monday and add to DC Monday driving problems.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 18:21   #45
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
They should stay till Monday and add to DC Monday driving problems.
Monday is a holiday.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote