Shar
Guerrilla

Wounded Vet Heckled at Columbia

Disgusting.

Hero's unwelcome
Wounded Iraq vet jeered at Columbia

By ANNIE KARNI

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1EWWtSAfC

Columbia University students heckled a war hero during a town-hall meeting on whether ROTC should be allowed back on campus.

"Racist!" some students yelled at Anthony Maschek, a Columbia freshman and former Army staff sergeant awarded the Purple Heart after being shot 11 times in a firefight in northern Iraq in February 2008. Others hissed and booed the veteran.

Maschek, 28, had bravely stepped up to the mike Tuesday at the meeting to issue an impassioned challenge to fellow students on their perceptions of the military.

"It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting," said Maschek. "There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."

Several students laughed and jeered the Idaho native, a 10th Mountain Division infantryman who spent two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington recovering from grievous wounds.

Maschek, who is studying economics, miraculously survived the insurgent attack in Kirkuk. In the hail of gunfire, he broke both legs and suffered wounds to his abdomen, arm and chest.

He enrolled last August at the Ivy League school, where an increasingly ugly battle is unfolding over the 42-year military ban there.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...fde4355b01%2C0

Last edited by Shar; 02-20-2011 at 12:21. Reason: cleaned up my copy/paste
Shar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:25   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Ignorance is bliss for many people.

They would rather deny the existence of an enemy at the gates than admit they are too weak to face the enemy.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26   #3
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Good for him for standing up. That's what happens when sheep who have been part of the flock their whole lives finally meet a sheepdog.

"nobody understands Thomas except Thomas," Rudyard Kipling, Soldiers Three
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:36   #4
Doc Diego
Quiet Professional

Good for him. Maybe he can wake up a few sheeple while he's there.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:48   #5
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

There is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion on going to war. I don't have a problem with their point of view on Iraq or Afghanistan. I do have a problem with their behavior and disrespect. That is what is shameful.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:54   #6
Sigaba
Area Commander

FWIW, the Columbia Spectator's digital morgue of articles on ROTC dating back to 2007 is available here.

FWIW, part two, a passage in the article linked in the OP states:
Quote:
A group of 34 faculty colleagues, including historian Kenneth Jackson and former Bloomberg adviser Esther Fuchs, plan to announce their support of ROTC tomorrow.
That statement of support is available here.

Professor Jackson is a former president of both the Organization of American Historians and the Society of American Historians--the two major professional organizations for American historians--as well as a winner of the prestigious Bancroft Prize for Crabgrass Frontier in 1986 <<LINK>>.

The fact that Professor Jackson supports ROTC at Columbia suggests that attitudes towards the American armed services in the Ivory Tower are changing, notwithstanding the inexcusable asshattery of a handful of undergraduates.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 13:17   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I guess he thought that he had First Amendment protection.

Obviously, he failed to read the liberal/progressive rule book.

Dissent is no longer the highest form of patriotism.

Where is the POTUS on this issue?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 13:55   #8
tonyz
Area Commander

The behavior of those students who heckled a fellow student in this instance was simply ignorant and repugnant - class always shows.

Good luck with your studies Mr. Maschek - thank you for your service.

Guess these asshat students don't want the Dream Act either.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 14:41   #9
Richard
Quiet Professional

Kinda sounds like the Columbia students were enrolled in the PoliSci Department's Tea Party 101 class so they can attend Town Hall meetings and behave accordingly when they grow up.

Just sayin'...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 14:53   #10
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

When I see people like that in public around here. I just think, if they burst into flames right now. I wouldn't even kick sand on them. I believe the new name for them is Hipsters. Another word for Pussy.
Old 02-20-2011, 14:54   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Kinda sounds like the Columbia students were enrolled in the PoliSci Department's Tea Party 101 class so they can attend Town Hall meetings and behave accordingly when they grow up.

Just sayin'...

Richard
Hmm.

Was SSG Maschek someone's elected representative? Were they debating his voting record? I must have missed that one.

Did a Tea Party member at a town hall meeting call some else a racist? What is the relevance of that analogy to this discussion of student intolerance of opposing viewpoints?

There is no excuse for the students' behavior. SSG Maschek was there to voice an opinion as a student. A right he has paid a high price for and which should permit him to freely express his viewpoint.

I think your analogy is flawed and your comments are over the line with this one.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 15:10   #12
tonyz
Area Commander

Sir, I am sincerly at a loss for words re your analogy so I'll borrow one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Astounding.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 16:07   #13
Richard
Quiet Professional

Does anyone think a student like Maschek was naive enough to think his appearance in front of such a forum at a university like Columbia over a long-standing 'hot button' campus political topic would not garner such a response from his fellow students?

I don't.

I think the realm of public discourse in politics remains every bit as rancorous today as it ever has been, whether on a college campus over an issue like this one or in a town hall meeting over an issue like national health care, and the reporting of such events every bit as slanted depending upon the editorial leanings of who is doing the reporting.

I also think that such boorish behavior reflects most upon those who behave in such a way - no matter where it comes from or who does it.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 16:19   #14
Todd 1
Guerrilla

How about those students at Columbia just shut the fuck up and go down to Texas and help build a house.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=32478

I'm sorry for my language.

Just sayin'.........and so it goes......YMMV

Last edited by Todd 1; 02-20-2011 at 16:29.
Todd 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 16:22   #15
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar View Post
Several students laughed and jeered the Idaho native, a 10th Mountain Division infantryman who spent two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington recovering from grievous wounds.

Maschek, who is studying economics, miraculously survived the insurgent attack in Kirkuk. In the hail of gunfire, he broke both legs and suffered wounds to his abdomen, arm and chest.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...fde4355b01%2C0
That's totally unwarranted and pisses me off about as bad as anything ever has. Somebody needs corporal punishment.