I kinda like that shirt.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 19:45   #32
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Now days my PT is for myself and I rely on my charm and sense of humor for other things...
any port in a storms...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 19:53   #33
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SITH
Anything that took over from the bananasuit was welcomed.
Aww, man... did ja haveta go and bring THAT up?

I've been assured there were two sizes, too small and too big.

Unfortunately for me - there was just one size, too big!

LL
Old 05-11-2007, 08:54   #34
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Moc turtle necks do suck, unless you're going for that business but casual look in a jacket and slacks. The parks and rec department changed our football coaching uniforms last year, and adopted a moc-neck loose fitting Under Armour shirt. Most irritating shirt I've ever put on. Particularly when I didn't feel like shaving on game day. Neck stubble, moc's and synthetic shirts don't mix.
Old 05-11-2007, 13:32   #35
ccrn
Guerrilla

We were issued a trail version of this uniform shirt, minus the ACU type sleeves, for vehicle operations.

They did seem a little cooler but at 130F it didnt make much of a difference. Nobody that was issued them liked them much.

As for the ACU, we hated them. Poorly designed and made and easily damaged.

Another problem with the ACU was they are designed to be washed by hand in cold water then air dried. As some might know there is no cold water in Iraq (accept dead of winter) so the hook and loop fasteners melt making them worthless.

I wish we could go back to a OG107 type uniform but it will never happen-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 18:11   #36
groundup
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Why do you care about name and rank so much?
"Good morning... uhh..." "Hey! You! In the camoflauge!" Those don't go too well when you are walking around in a building.

When an NCO/officer passes by or enters in a room/building you are supposed to call the people in the room to at ease/attention. How would you know that unless you know their rank?

When passing an officer or NCO you are supposed to give the greeting of the day. How would you do that without knowing their rank?

When you are looking for someone in particular, how would you know who they are without their names? In my case, CPT X tells me to get SGT Y. I don't know who CPT X is, but I know he is in charge of something in HQ. I don't know who SGT Y is, but I know LT X wants him. So, I go running around trying to find SGT Y, asking people for him. Then I tell him that this CPT wants to see him. "Which CPT". Damn, how would I know that? He is always wearing that stupid fleece jacket. Now I have to say that I don't know, but he should come with me anyway. So, we go back and we both get an ass chewing for not being there faster.

The PT uniform irks me too. There should be some kind of rank on it. Got in to a bit of hot water when I didn't realize I was standing in front of the JTF command staff with a couple BGs, COLs, CSM, SGM, and everything in between for the Army's birthday run. Dumb PFC (me at the time) gets told by 1SG to go up there with SFC H as the youngest and oldest Soldiers. Well, SFC H wasn't running so he didn't go up there. So I walk up there and stand there as the General gives a speech. I didn't get chewed out, but I was standing there at ease with a BG in front of me and he was just shootin' the shit.

First/second day of basic training, one of the Privates in my PLT was on CQ. Someone comes walking up to his desk in PTs and just stands there. He starts fuddling with the CQ log and blocking his view of the hallway. PVT says "wtf are you doing?" Low and behold, it was the CO of our company. Gets an Article 15.
groundup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 23:01   #37
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundup
"Good morning... uhh..." "Hey! You! In the camoflauge!" Those don't go too well when you are walking around in a building.

When an NCO/officer passes by or enters in a room/building you are supposed to call the people in the room to at ease/attention. How would you know that unless you know their rank?

When passing an officer or NCO you are supposed to give the greeting of the day. How would you do that without knowing their rank?

When you are looking for someone in particular, how would you know who they are without their names? In my case, CPT X tells me to get SGT Y. I don't know who CPT X is, but I know he is in charge of something in HQ. I don't know who SGT Y is, but I know LT X wants him. So, I go running around trying to find SGT Y, asking people for him. Then I tell him that this CPT wants to see him. "Which CPT". Damn, how would I know that? He is always wearing that stupid fleece jacket. Now I have to say that I don't know, but he should come with me anyway. So, we go back and we both get an ass chewing for not being there faster.

The PT uniform irks me too. There should be some kind of rank on it. Got in to a bit of hot water when I didn't realize I was standing in front of the JTF command staff with a couple BGs, COLs, CSM, SGM, and everything in between for the Army's birthday run. Dumb PFC (me at the time) gets told by 1SG to go up there with SFC H as the youngest and oldest Soldiers. Well, SFC H wasn't running so he didn't go up there. So I walk up there and stand there as the General gives a speech. I didn't get chewed out, but I was standing there at ease with a BG in front of me and he was just shootin' the shit.

First/second day of basic training, one of the Privates in my PLT was on CQ. Someone comes walking up to his desk in PTs and just stands there. He starts fuddling with the CQ log and blocking his view of the hallway. PVT says "wtf are you doing?" Low and behold, it was the CO of our company. Gets an Article 15.
Walking around in a building? IT'S A COMBAT SHIRT!

Now hush.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 23:24   #38
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

I can see it now. You going to the range at Bragg or any other post and you will have to attach your ACU top to the back of your FLC with boot blousers to change into once youve taken off you body armor LOL.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:43   #39
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Ah, yes.

The good old, "Wear your helmet for the jump, and bring your BDU caps and berets as well. Once we get on the DZ, don berets for the ceremony, then put your BDU caps back on for the ride back into main post."

SF battalion, all formed up, berets donned. CSM who put out the directive standing up front, K-Pot on his head. Put his beret in his cargo pocket, and it blew out during his shitty exit.

Been there, done that.

Hey, NDD.

You know the Fobbits will have them long before the teams do.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:05   #40
Pete
Quiet Professional

Turn on your SA

Quote:
.... when I didn't realize I was standing in front of the JTF command staff with a couple BGs, COLs, CSM, SGM, and everything in between for the Army's birthday run. Dumb PFC (me at the time).....
Son, if you're in the Army and standing in a group of old looking, gray haired, somebody pissed in my cornflakes, mean looking kinda' guys you better believe you're standing in a group of 1SGs, SGMs, CSMs, LTCs and COLs, mix and match whatever combo.

In that case Parade Rest and a lot of "Yes, Sir - No, Sir's" will get you by until notified of real identities. A good clue is look at body language as you walk up to a group. The pack circles the big dog.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 14:20   #41
groundup
Auxiliary

NDD: the ACU is a combat uniform. BDU is a battle uniform. Everything we wear, barring the beret, is meant for combat.

Pete: heh, yeah. I try not to even get in to those situations. If I have to, I try to figure out who everyone is before hand.
groundup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 22:40   #42
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
You know the Fobbits will have them long before the teams do.
If the Army is anything like the AF when it comes to things like this, you know there will be a line of people waiting outside clothing sales the day they go on sale.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:38   #43
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Quote:
NDD: the ACU is a combat uniform. BDU is a battle uniform. Everything we wear, barring the beret, is meant for combat.

Pete: heh, yeah. I try not to even get in to those situations. If I have to, I try to figure out who everyone is before hand.

Maybe I'm lucky...but I know whom my boss is...whom my boss' boss is...etc...on sight. I generally do not wait to find out that they still outrank me like they did yesterday and the day before...

As long as you are generally respectful, you have no worries.

WRT ACU / BDU -

IAW my govt issued Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary -

1 bat-tle 1: a general encounter between armies, ships of war, or airplanes 2: a combat between two persons
2 battle 1: to engage in battle : FIGHT

1 com-bat to engage in combat: FIGHT ~ vt 1: to fight with : BATTLE
1 com-bat 1: a fight or contest between individuals or groups 2

So...really, what's the difference, especially if everything we wear is
Quote:
meant for combat.
Not trying to be a technical definition guy, just trying to point out that it (battle / combat) is just a word...move on. Remember, the idea of a specific uniform designation as battle or combat (BDU / ACU) is a relatively new term (BDU in the late '80s and ACU in mid 2000). Prior to that, it was the OG-107s...

Just my $0.02.

V/R,

Last edited by Go For Broke; 05-14-2007 at 08:52.
Go For Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04   #44
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For Broke
Prior to that, it was the OG-107s...
Actually, the OG 107 "Coat (or Trousers) Man's, Cotton WR Poplin "Ripstop," OG 107", and Camouflaged Jungle Fatigues were a limited issue item. The actual predecessor to the BDU was the Perma-Press and cotton sateen versions of the fatigues; i.e., "Shirt (or Trousers), Man's, Utility Poly/Cotton, Durable Press, OG 507". With the cotton versions, you had to break starch at least once a day to look "Strac".

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:23   #45
JGarcia
Guerrilla

my opinion (fwiw)

Ah Starch! I remember picking up my BDU's over in Germany from the cleaners on the economy, putting them on monday morning - sleeves and pant legs literally 'peeling' apart as legs and arms went inside. What a dog and pony show we were back then! Field BDU's vs. Garrison BDU's! ~ good times...

I really think it's a shame that the Army seems to be implementing Crye's design one little bit at a time, rather than embracing Crye's design and camo patterns right from the git go. This is right off of Crye's drawing board, minus the zipper. I hope they'll copy Crye's boonie cap design too. I do like this combat shirt, and I'd be happy to have it. I suppose it won't be long until the Army has the combat trouser (from Crye) as well.

I have got four gripes with the ACU, the camo pattern, crotch of the trousers blowing out, the shirt I think is too short (if you tuck it in when wearing IBA for a fight, it will often come untucked - I know it's not authorized), the rule forbidding sew on qual badges. I don't mind the velcro, I wonder if zippers might be better?

As far as not having name tapes or tags, you can always address an unknown person as "Soldier," or "Soldiers" whatever the case may be. If they outrank you and want to make sure that you are aware of that, they'll tell you so. You can't go wrong calling someone "Soldier." But as NDD said, It's a COMBAT SHIRT! Of course the Army and its culture is what it is, and weird things will happen. Semper Gumbi.