Old 02-05-2017, 08:35   #586
Joker
Quiet Professional

I have several that were very successful XOs for BGs, MGs, and LTGs not get promoted to the next rank and retire. I have even seen some CAG O6s (not that CAG, but Commander's Action Group) not get promoted.

But this one, this one, is Special...
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 13:06   #587
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairborne64 View Post
No, she branched transferred.
Ah, so like Griest she too was "manufactured" as she didn't meet several of the branch transfer requirements codified in MILPER MSG 16-096, but the Army made it happen regardless:

1) Haver is YG 12; requirement established in MSG is YGs 14 & 15
2) Haver didn't attend IBOLC or ABOLC prior to attending MCCC as required in para. 4.B.
3) Haver didn't serve a minimum of 1 year as an Infantry PL prior to MCCC attendanced as required in para. 4.B.

I'm sure there's a square peg/round hole joke somewhere in all this.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 19:52   #588
Chairborne64
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Ah, so like Griest she too was "manufactured" as she didn't meet several of the branch transfer requirements codified in MILPER MSG 16-096, but the Army made it happen regardless:

2) Haver didn't attend IBOLC or ABOLC prior to attending MCCC as required in para. 4.B.
3) Haver didn't serve a minimum of 1 year as an Infantry PL prior to MCCC attendanced as required in para. 4.B.

That is my point. She was treated EXACTLY like any male officer, NOT!!!

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
Chairborne64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 20:29   #589
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairborne64 View Post
That is my point. She was treated EXACTLY like any male officer, NOT!!!
Yup, and that's why I repeat this story whenever possible--to ensure everyone knows and remembers the truth behind the Army's first two female Infantry officers, and understands that the promise that 'standards will not change to accommodate gender integration' isn't worth the hot air spent in lying about it.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:20   #590
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

WOW! It makes me think whoever pushed that through WANTS her to fail. She has already been through a third of her career without ONCE maneuvering a combat element (Ranger school is NOT an infantry maneuver course, it is a leadership suckfest). Has never set foot in a service school to even teach you (I'm going to date myself here) 7-8 or 7-10. She will be so far behind the power curve and her "peers" (I don't fully understand all that YG stuff) that she would probably fail whatever they call an ARTEP nowadays.

But, I'd bet she gives a damn good SHARP briefing and makes a fine cup-a-Joe!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 13:10   #591
tst43
Guerrilla

I have a son who graduates and commissions into active duty (through ROTC) this May. He has a 3.6 GPA, has rave reviews from his instructors, and always scores 300+ on the PT extended scale. He desperately wanted to branch infantry, but was given ordnance instead (for reasons known only to Army branch personnel management, but some suggested it may have been due to shifting gender-preference sands within the combat arms branches). While he was disappointed, he told me that "the Army never promised me the branch of my choice, or active duty for that matter. The Army honored its commitment to me, I am going to honor my commitment to it by being the best ordnance officer I can possibly be." Its odd when a son teaches the father some things.
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:19   #592
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tst43 View Post
I have a son who graduates and commissions into active duty (through ROTC) this May. He has a 3.6 GPA, has rave reviews from his instructors, and always scores 300+ on the PT extended scale. He desperately wanted to branch infantry, but was given ordnance instead (for reasons known only to Army branch personnel management, but some suggested it may have been due to shifting gender-preference sands within the combat arms branches). While he was disappointed, he told me that "the Army never promised me the branch of my choice, or active duty for that matter. The Army honored its commitment to me, I am going to honor my commitment to it by being the best ordnance officer I can possibly be." Its odd when a son teaches the father some things.
That's his problem - if it had been a 2.6 GPA, he'd be a shoo-in for Infantry.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:40   #593
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What was his major? Summer Camp score? Infantry believe it or not, is VERY competitive.

There is usually a good reason why someone gets hit out of the blue, it just may take some digging to reveal it.

Good for him for taking the right attitude. I work on the 18A Committee and besides seeing a lot of 11's come through, every class tends to have the one or two guys that got hammered with Chemical Corps, Ordinance, etc. So, in a few years he can always hit selection, but not if he doesn't do well as a LT.
Old 02-08-2017, 17:58   #594
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
He can always go SPecial Forces no matter what his branch!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 19:24   #595
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

There is a pretty rigorous screening of officers in a very narrow window to get the opportunity to attend SFAS.

It is almost impossible for an officer to return if he doesn't make it the first time. The time line is too short.

It was possible, at one time, for a General Officer to personally select an officer to attend SFAS without being previously selected by the officer board. Still, that just got them a ticket to attend, not to be selected.

For the females, they will eventually get one to stay around long enough to complain that she was discriminated against and the politicians in uniform will make the exception. All standards can be lowered (or waived) over time. Or she will sue, like the only woman every to attend the SFQC did.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:45   #596
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
That's his problem - if it had been a 2.6 GPA, he'd be a shoo-in for Infantry.
I would be angry and insulted...if my GPA would have been that high.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:56   #597
Swoop
Quiet Professional

SFOC not SFQC

[ Or she will sue, like the only woman every to attend the SFQC did.]

Actually she attended the SF Officers Course, the SFQC was for enlisted only back then but there's sure to be some lawsuits.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:22   #598
tst43
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
What was his major? Summer Camp score? Infantry believe it or not, is VERY competitive.

There is usually a good reason why someone gets hit out of the blue, it just may take some digging to reveal it.

Good for him for taking the right attitude. I work on the 18A Committee and besides seeing a lot of 11's come through, every class tends to have the one or two guys that got hammered with Chemical Corps, Ordinance, etc. So, in a few years he can always hit selection, but not if he doesn't do well as a LT.
You are absolutely correct, sir. It was very competitive. I think its been that way for quite some time now. He is hopeful that he will be assigned to the 82nd in a sustainment/ordnance unit, and hopefully get to go to Ranger school, so that if he makes selection, he will have some experience in an airborne unit. Any advice you could provide would not only be welcomed, but greatly appreciated.
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:45   #599
bailaviborita
Quiet Professional

Quote:
While he was disappointed, he told me that "the Army never promised me the branch of my choice, or active duty for that matter. The Army honored its commitment to me, I am going to honor my commitment to it by being the best ordnance officer I can possibly be." .
That's a good attitude for a youngster to have- although I'd say it's also naive to have it too long once he gets in. The Army is a bureaucracy and doesn't make decisions like a rational person would. The bureaucracy doesn't manage its personnel to best win wars - it manages personnel with a Taylorist industrial factory model wherein there are inputs and outputs and everyone is a number. The only exceptions it makes are when general officers request a bending of the rules - and even that sometimes doesn't break the bureaucracy 's will. Oh- or if there's political pressure to do something...
Old 03-31-2017, 17:01   #600
Miles
Asset

Two more women being 'tabbed' today.

Two female Infantry officers set to graduate from Ranger School

By Chuck Williams

Two female Infantry officers have completed U.S. Army Ranger School and are scheduled to be awarded the coveted tabs during Friday’s graduation ceremony at Victory Pond, a Fort Benning spokesman confirmed.

The Army did not release the names of the women, who will be among 119 soldiers to receive their tabs this week. The Army did confirm that they were both graduates of the Infantry Basic Officer Leaders Course.

“The Maneuver Center of Excellence focuses on training leaders every day through an array of professional military education and first-class functional training that results in increased readiness in the operation of the Army,” said Ben Garrett, Fort Benning spokesman. “We provide our soldiers with the necessary tools, doctrine and skill set so they are successful once they arrive at their units. This success is built on the quality of our instructions, professionalism of our instructors and the maintaining of standards in everything we do. The Ranger Course is an example of that commitment to excellence.”

They are the first women to complete the Army’s most demanding combat training school in almost 17 months.

Anyone with current contacts within the Ranger School have more info? How many women started RAP week vs made it through and started the course? How long it actually took for these two to make it through?
This was really kept close-hold.