Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 11-27-2016, 11:29   #16
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

I don't know what a "Fighting" shotgun is but if that means "Tactical" or "Combat" then it should have a short barrel (<20") a large capacity magazine (tube or box fed) a stout stock and ultimately be reliable in all weather. And by weather I'd ask (myself) is this going sweat and freeze on a regular basis - Nickle, Parkerized or a Nitride finish. I would stay away from Blued metal for a trunk gun.

The next question I'd ask (myself) is how many bad guys or bears I'd think I have to take on in one engagement. Two or more I'd want a semi-auto. One at a time a pump does just fine. A pump will do just fine in practiced hands on multiple threats but there is always the chance to short stroke it. A good top quality semi will eat all your ammo under duress in a matter of seconds.

Lots of pumps will fill that bill on your budget with money left over. A few semi-autos will come in under or just at.

I have three - Bennelli Super 90 (just love this gun, a little ammo specific) a Mossberg 500 (trust my life to it,) and new to me haven't shot it yet but everything I've heard - it's the "Best" tactical shotgun ever made - Remington Versa-Max. (Is not finicky about ammo, quick to point, comes ready out of the box for a top tier 3-Gun Match. (Also the most expensive of the three)

I personally would not leave a Versa-Max unattended in a locked vehicle for long. The Mossberg - no problem - stolen - oh well.

Good luck with you hunt. I think an 870 or 500(590) would suit your purposes just fine.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:02   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
I don't know what a "Fighting" shotgun is but if that means "Tactical" or "Combat" then it should have a short barrel (<20") a large capacity magazine (tube or box fed) a stout stock and ultimately be reliable in all weather. And by weather I'd ask (myself) is this going sweat and freeze on a regular basis - Nickle, Parkerized or a Nitride finish. I would stay away from Blued metal for a trunk gun.

The next question I'd ask (myself) is how many bad guys or bears I'd think I have to take on in one engagement. Two or more I'd want a semi-auto. One at a time a pump does just fine. A pump will do just fine in practiced hands on multiple threats but there is always the chance to short stroke it. A good top quality semi will eat all your ammo under duress in a matter of seconds.

Lots of pumps will fill that bill on your budget with money left over. A few semi-autos will come in under or just at.

I have three - Bennelli Super 90 (just love this gun, a little ammo specific) a Mossberg 500 (trust my life to it,) and new to me haven't shot it yet but everything I've heard - it's the "Best" tactical shotgun ever made - Remington Versa-Max. (Is not finicky about ammo, quick to point, comes ready out of the box for a top tier 3-Gun Match. (Also the most expensive of the three)

I personally would not leave a Versa-Max unattended in a locked vehicle for long. The Mossberg - no problem - stolen - oh well.

Good luck with you hunt. I think an 870 or 500(590) would suit your purposes just fine.

I know I wrote this on here somewhere.......

Back in the 80's, while in 5th Group we were given a drum fed 12 gauge. It only took a few moments of handling to send it back to the folks who made it. First, the drum sucked anything near it into the feeding mechanism. 2nd, it was heavier than a loaded M60....... and we asked if it comes with an ammo bearer.......

That said, it's a great weapon for close work as long as you don't need surgical precision........ and don't need to reload often.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:33   #18
MAB32

I own a Mossberg 590A1 since they first came out. However in my LEO career I've shot a lot of 870's. As someone stated before me you really have to practice with a pump (aka slider).

So practice a lot of cycling and IMHO I would definitely trust my life to my 590A1. I just prefer it over the 870 because the safety is on top and for me the action just seems a little more robust.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:25   #19
doctom54
Quiet Professional

I have taken several classes from Rob Haught. He is a wizard with a shotgun and an Excellent instructor of the fighting shotgun (he is also good with a handgun).
Whichever one you decide on I highly recommend one of his classes.
https://www.gunstockfirearms.com/rob-haught/
Old 12-01-2016, 05:50   #20
trunkmonkey
Asset

As far as truck gun and fighting shotgun I'm wanting the rifle to be the grab as I leave all the time shotgun. I spend a considerable amount of time afield now, and sitting in surveillance vehicles. I want to have a shotgun that I can take anywhere to defend myself against any reasonable threat. I also want it to be legal in most places.

Thank you for the input and I have been catching up on shotgun research as I was not familiar with all of the options put forth. I am debating between the Benelli M3, M4, and the versamax. Instead of any accessories I'm going to buy snap caps and ammo. When I am more comfortable with it a shotgun class is in order.
trunkmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:41   #21
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkmonkey View Post
As far as truck gun and fighting shotgun I'm wanting the rifle to be the grab as I leave all the time shotgun. I spend a considerable amount of time afield now, and sitting in surveillance vehicles. I want to have a shotgun that I can take anywhere to defend myself against any reasonable threat. I also want it to be legal in most places.

Thank you for the input and I have been catching up on shotgun research as I was not familiar with all of the options put forth. I am debating between the Benelli M3, M4, and the versamax. Instead of any accessories I'm going to buy snap caps and ammo. When I am more comfortable with it a shotgun class is in order.
Recommendation - Get the M4, put an extended tube on it (example: http://freedomfightertactical.com/pr...li-m4-shotgun; restores it to the capacity of the M1014) and spend the rest of your money on training. Food for thought - I'm sticking with (top quality) semi-auto shotguns for most social work because I can operate them reliably with one hand. YMMV.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote