Old 11-08-2012, 12:26   #1
MR2
Quiet Professional

The Lamest Generation

The Lamest Generation

On a more positive note...

Free meals to veterans give restaurants PR boost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cartoon-Lamest-Generation-600.jpg (189.8 KB, 436 views)

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 13:06   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Very Good and Sooooo True
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 18:26   #3
Gypsy
Area Commander

What is it Ryan said before the election...something like they want free stuff and we want free people.

Sickening.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:47   #4
trvlr
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
The Lamest Generation
In my opinion... my generation is not lame. They got the overweight issue right though.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07   #5
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Land of the freebies, Home of the enslaved

This video was forwarded to me today, and I wish I could have showed it to a few people before they hit the polls. Not that it would've helped, but hey, a man can dream can't he? I'm trying to source some of the statistics he points out, but overall he can't be that far off. Youtube video HERE

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke

Last edited by BryanK; 11-27-2012 at 07:13. Reason: Replaced link
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:53   #6
XngZeRubicon
BANNED USER

Quote:
The Lamest Generation

Yep. Hard work? What's hard work? I love hearing those spoiled youth who say things like "who in their right mind would work more than 8 hours in a day." And I think to myself, when have I not worked more than an 8 hour day in my past, paying plenty of taxes from all that extra productivity to support the ones with a life of luxury or constantly with their hands out. While it's a great goal and kudos to people who can balance lifeand work like that, but they should receive less and expect a lower standard of living. But these kids expect all the benefits without the hard work.
XngZeRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 19:17   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The Lamest Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by XngZeRubicon View Post
Yep.
Based upon my studies and experiences, I'm more of the "...panic is almost never warranted. That younger generation will turn out better than you think..." crowd.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamthie...eration-short/

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Younger Generation.jpg (24.8 KB, 108 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 19:27   #8
MR2
Quiet Professional

Ain't that the truth Richard.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 20:25   #9
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

My dad is a pharmacist. He had one of those demotivator pics on his facebook that said "i have to pass a urinalysis to pay your welfare check, so you should have to pass one to collect it." When i'm not stuck using a smartphone to post, i'll put it up.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 20:41   #10
afchic
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Based upon my studies and experiences, I'm more of the "...panic is almost never warranted. That younger generation will turn out better than you think..." crowd.

Richard
I agree. Most of the kids I know are pretty damn phenomenal. It is the dumbasses we all hear about, because well, they are dumbasses. Good stuff never sees the light of day on the news. But idiot kids doing and saying idiot things will always sell.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 22:54   #11
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard
Well said, Richard! (I'd say "spot on" but it's been done to death.)

In the six years immediately prior to my retirement from teaching, I worked with well over 2,000 young people (discounting 'repeats'). Almost all of them arose prior to 0700 to be at school by 0730-0800. My classes ended at 2030. That is a 12 hour school day. Many were making up for lost time due to youthful stupidity. Some were trying to graduate early so they could get a jump-start on college or careeer.

Almost all worked hard. Many overcame great obstacles - language, culture, geography, prejudice, poverty, etc. Few were ever rude or ill-behaved. When those few were, most of them quickly apologized and amended their behavior. Sometimes, their words or actions could bring you to the verge of tears - of joy and admiration.

I just don't understand all the negative crap I see about "youth" in this forum. Are your images of youth formed by the numbnuts you see on the street corners and at the malls? If so, I challenge you. Sign-up to work in your neighborhood school. Coach, or assist in coaching, a sports team. Work at the YMCA. Volunteer somewhere with youth, but for God's sake don't just judge a whole generation by the actions of a very few.

I know we in SF in particular, or the military in general, do NOT wish to be judged by the few asswipes who stain our image and honor.

Nor do the bulk of our 'youth'!
Old 11-30-2012, 00:22   #12
bluebb
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Very Good and Sooooo True
Not true, I have worked with a whole bunch of the 20 to 30 year olds out there. There are a great bunch of young men and women doing great thing for this country.

Blue

NOUS DEFIONS
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58   #13
Box
Quiet Professional

Can't hold my water on this one.

The younger generation is the lamest?

I gotta say, it seems like it has been the 'boomers' and 'hippies' that have been fucking up the gub-mint for the last few decades.
...not the X-Boxers

The boomers and the hipppies are the ones that preached that we needed to let the x-boxers have their individuality. Its the boomers and the hippies that used TV and Atari to RAISE the X-Box generation. Boomers and hippies are the ones that helped solidify the entitlement society we are fighting right now.
The "lamest generation" can hardly be blamed for the problems that we face as a society. The boomers and the hippies are the ones that raised and empowered the x-box generation.

Boomers and hippies are the 'lamest' generation if you ask me.
...just my two cents. I could be wrong.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37   #14
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Well said, Richard! (I'd say "spot on" but it's been done to death.)

In the six years immediately prior to my retirement from teaching, I worked with well over 2,000 young people (discounting 'repeats'). Almost all of them arose prior to 0700 to be at school by 0730-0800. My classes ended at 2030. That is a 12 hour school day. Many were making up for lost time due to youthful stupidity. Some were trying to graduate early so they could get a jump-start on college or careeer.

Almost all worked hard. Many overcame great obstacles - language, culture, geography, prejudice, poverty, etc. Few were ever rude or ill-behaved. When those few were, most of them quickly apologized and amended their behavior. Sometimes, their words or actions could bring you to the verge of tears - of joy and admiration.

I just don't understand all the negative crap I see about "youth" in this forum. Are your images of youth formed by the numbnuts you see on the street corners and at the malls? If so, I challenge you. Sign-up to work in your neighborhood school. Coach, or assist in coaching, a sports team. Work at the YMCA. Volunteer somewhere with youth, but for God's sake don't just judge a whole generation by the actions of a very few.

I know we in SF in particular, or the military in general, do NOT wish to be judged by the few asswipes who stain our image and honor.

Nor do the bulk of our 'youth'!
Thanks for this perspective - it gives me hope for their future. You and the other professional educators are sharing a "ground-truth" reality with the rest of us.

I think Billy L-bach has a point {I gotta say, it seems like it has been the 'boomers' and 'hippies' that have been fucking up the gub-mint for the last few decades.
...not the X-Boxers

The boomers and the hipppies are the ones that preached that we needed to let the x-boxers have their individuality. Its the boomers and the hippies that used TV and Atari to RAISE the X-Box generation. Boomers and hippies are the ones that helped solidify the entitlement society we are fighting right now.
The "lamest generation" can hardly be blamed for the problems that we face as a society. The boomers and the hippies are the ones that raised and empowered the x-box generation.
(see post #15 in this Thread].

As a Baby Boomer I have often wondered if it is our generation that is the lamest. It seems to me that we created the entitlement society and the "it's all about what I can get" conspicuous consumption mentality (remember the Yuppies). Well, maybe Pogo is right "We have met the enemy and they is us!"

After reading the posts in this thread, I have hope. Maybe our kids are smarter than we think and they will prevail in spite of us.

Thank a teacher...I do every day and as I told Richard in another thread...sometimes she THANKS me too
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52   #15
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
The boomers and the hipppies are the ones that preached that we needed to let the x-boxers have their individuality.
I have always felt that indiviuality and a strive for personal excellence should be encouraged, but those qualities should be cultivated in the context of how they contribute to a productive community (not a host/parasite community). Wealth, prosperity and comfort are the perks of -- not the reason for -- pushing one's self.

Quote:
After reading the posts in this thread, I have hope. Maybe our kids are smarter than we think and they will prevail in spite of us.
I definitely see kids at both ends of the spectrum, both in my children's school and at work - those that don't ask for that which they haven't earned, and those that expect everything to be given to them.

Something tells me this has been the case for longer than any of us have been around.

My $.02...
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote