Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 10-26-2011, 22:14   #1
ccrn
Guerrilla

Seeking Small Pack Recommendation

Greetings All
Looking for a small assault pack that has a laptop sleeve. It will be for a SSE kit for the obvious stuff. Will be used on the X so needs to be rugged etc.

Ive been looking at the Eberlestock X4 which has a dedicated laptop sleeve but it gets mixed reviewes online and has a kind of weird shape. That could be good. But could be bad (any personal experience with this pack please share).

Im looking at the Little brother pack but that might be bigger than I want.

Doesnt need to be big ie 3 day as it will be for in and out kind of work( knock on wood). Yes, Ive been searching. But Im hoping for any suggestions-
Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 07:08   #2
69harley
Guerrilla

Take a look at Booqbag and Thinktank. Both companies make very nice bags to hold laptops and other stuff.

Before buying a bag from either company online, do a search for promo codes. Not hard to find a 10 or 15% off coupon.

Booqbags

Thinktank Bags
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 16:28   #3
pyreaux
Guerrilla

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/packs_...-operator-pack

I have the earlier variation of this, have used it for hiking, college, and travelling over the last 3 years or so. It's held up much better than most other small packs i've had from jansport to north face. The laptop slot seems to be a little tight for 17" laptops but that may have changed on the newer rev. I have however fit a decently thick hp 15" and a 15" macbook pro fairly easily. One other concern is no padding on the bottom, so dropping with laptop is a very bad idea, but i hadn't had a issue with that yet.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 22:08   #4
ccrn
Guerrilla

Ive looked at the TT bag as well but looked elsewhere due to the laptop sleeve placing the computer against the wearers back which would be bad for the device not to mention uncomfortable (or so I would think). Im hoping to find a small bag with some type of suspension padding and ventilation, with an internal sleeve that will protect the laptop from twisting stresses and blunt force etc.

Its starting to look like slim pickings......
Old 10-27-2011, 22:23   #5
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn View Post
Greetings All
Looking for a small assault pack that has a laptop sleeve. It will be for a SSE kit for the obvious stuff. Will be used on the X so needs to be rugged etc.

Ive been looking at the Eberlestock X4 which has a dedicated laptop sleeve but it gets mixed reviewes online and has a kind of weird shape. That could be good. But could be bad (any personal experience with this pack please share).

Im looking at the Little brother pack but that might be bigger than I want.

Doesnt need to be big ie 3 day as it will be for in and out kind of work( knock on wood). Yes, Ive been searching. But Im hoping for any suggestions-
Thanks

Take a look at the Lowe packs. They have a large line of packs that accommodate laptops and camera gear or what ever you want to put in it with the laptop. They make a very solid pack that can handle being down range and protect your gear. The entire line of products can be seen HERE
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 23:40   #6
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Jayson here and have you checked SOTech? I have their Mission Go Bag and use it to carry my Nettop. I assume you have a true laptop so my bag would probably be too small, but SOTech does have a larger version as well as a few packs which can be fitted with add ons that they sell for more specialized applications. Besides making sold kit, it is great to see that they make it all in the US.

Just as a heads up, SOTech also has a Paladin line which is the same stuff, but it is made overseas.

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 17:39   #7
ccrn
Guerrilla

Papa Zero Three, and Jayson...

Thanks for the recommendations-
V/r
Old 10-29-2011, 19:41   #8
cszakolczai

I can second the quality of Lowe items. I use them for my camera gear and put it through some pretty tough use. I'm thinking about trying out an SO tech mission go bag for my laptop and stuff. Right now I'm using a tactical tailor bag which also accommodates a laptop.
Old 02-20-2012, 19:16   #9
pjbluetogreen
SF Candidate

MysteryRanch

Mystery Ranch makes some amazing packs. They are high durable and made in the US. The best thing about these packs is that they are (for the most part) modular and work on several frames and have the ability to adjust size and components to allow you to use one pack for a multitude of missions. The Medical RAT pack and the TRIzip 3 day assault packs are great.
The CCTs that I worked with loved the Nice Comms packs because on DA or urban ops they had just enough room for their PRC 117s and tough books with out have to much more room to load extra un-need stuff on the op.

www.mysteryranch.com/military
Old 02-20-2012, 22:00   #10
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

I've got a hankering for the 5.11 Rush 24. If you like being very organized with lots of small bits to pack, then this is a great pack for it. I decided on it via online research, but recently saw one that one of our NCOs had at some training. Its definitely a sweet little pack.
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:29   #11
S2-REMF
Asset

Laptop secure ?

How well does the Rush 24 hold a laptop ? - from the online videos, it looks like the 'laptop compartment' in the main compartment is very loose compared to a dedicated quality laptop backpack.

My impression is that you would need a well padded laptop sleeve in order to protect the laptop from hard gear in the main compartment.

Well, I had to find out myself !

It don't - use a 5.11 MPC case for the laptop. It fits a 15.4" MacBook Pro perfectly along with charger, steel security cable, an external 2.5" hard drive and a few cables/dongles.

You can insert/remove the laptop without removing the MPC from the Rush24, just unzip the top of the sleeve. You can also retrieve charger etc. from the top side pocket without MPC removal.

Excellent combination, easy to remove laptop + accessories when you need the space for something else.
Regards
Michael

Last edited by S2-REMF; 03-27-2012 at 13:29.
S2-REMF is offline   Reply With Quote