Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 11-22-2008, 13:26   #1
KENCITO18D794
Quiet Professional

Military Primer Crimp Removal

I am new to reloading. I have about 1,000 rounds of .223 brass ( mostly Lake City ) imagine that. They are any where between 20 years old and new, so my intention was to decap it all, polish it, and reload it.

Got it decapped with no problems. I have an RCBS Case Master. My question is how long should it take to remove the miliatry primer crimp using the Case Master.

It seems I am grinding quite a bit on some of them.
KENCITO18D794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 14:13   #2
HOLLiS
Area Commander

About as long as it does to decap them or prime them using a single stage press. Dillion makes a really good pocket swegger. The RCBS one works ok, all-in-all it is not a big job. Just be sure of your set up.

Also get a case gauge and check the case length, Having a uniform length is important.

Note: not all once fired brass is, "Once fired". It is good to inspect any brass that you add to your collection the first time. Also to track your brass as to how many times it has been used, at a minimum.

Last edited by HOLLiS; 11-23-2008 at 10:47.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 14:26   #3
KENCITO18D794
Quiet Professional

Hollis,

What do you mean "set up"?
KENCITO18D794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 17:03   #4
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENCITO18D794 View Post
Hollis,

What do you mean "set up"?
Like any die, it has to be set up to the stroke of your piston. With the RCBS pocket swegge(sp?), one could set it too light or too hard. There are two parts the anvil and the swegger which mounts to the ram, like your shell holder. The Ram can deform the case at the primer vet if set too tight. The force that is needed is just enough to reform the primer pocket, removing the old crimp. I think lighter would be preferred to harder.
Old 11-22-2008, 20:27   #5
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENCITO18D794 View Post
I am new to reloading. I have about 1,000 rounds of .223 brass ( mostly Lake City ) imagine that. They are any where between 20 years old and new, so my intention was to decap it all, polish it, and reload it. Got it decapped with no problems. I have an RCBS Case Master. My question is how long should it take to remove the miliatry primer crimp using the Case Master. It seems I am grinding quite a bit on some of them.
Ken:

If they are mixed lots as you stated, you wll grind on some more than others due to differences in crimping, brass, etc. No sweat. Grind away and the ones where the primer goes in too easily -- get rid of them. The ones where the primer doesn't go in -- you didn't take enough of the crimp out.

As Hollis said, Dillon makes a swaging device that basically rolls the crimp out of the way. It is a decent tool but you will have to adjust it given different lots.

I have the Dillon tool, have broken the RCBS military crimp removal tool and it sucked anyway. And I have reamers that ream out the crimp.

These days I use a reamer attached to a power drill and cut the crimp out. If I cut too much and the primer goes in too easily -- I throw the brass away.

Any way you cut it (he, he, he) you will realize that it is a better bet just buying commercial brass.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 21:29   #6
koz
Quiet Professional

I use a Hornady Primer pocket reamer - It's about $13.50 - then I attach it to a drill press with a possum hollow power adapter
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:14   #7
Sinister
Quiet Professional

Swaging out GI primer pocket crimps

The Dillon and the CH4D tools are both great for big lots of cases.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/?p=57
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:50   #8
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Gene makes a important point. Not all brass is made the same. It would be wise to sort them as to manufacture. The thickness of the case at the primer vent could effect this operation. Also as I mentioned earlier cases may not be onced fire, same length or same volume. For plinking rounds volume is not a issue. If your going for a high precision load, volume needs to be considered.

Also I think we are making this sound more complicated than it really is, especially for a person with good mechanical skills.
Old 11-23-2008, 14:31   #9
koz
Quiet Professional

Also if anyone cares - R&R Arms is selling CCI #41 NATO primers for $19 per 1000.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote