Old 09-25-2016, 20:19   #301
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Eisenhower's Guerrillas

Excellent read about the Jedburgs the Maquis and the liberation of France
Old 09-26-2016, 11:31   #302
bblhead672
Area Commander

Just finished "People's Republic" by Kurt Schlichter. Next up "Hands Off My Gun" by Dana Loesch
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:19   #303
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

"Unintended Consequences"- John Ross

I'm only on page 155, but good Lord...

I'm in my mid-30's, and I have no idea what daily life was like back in the 50's-60's, but I wish upon wishes that conversations/actions such as this existed nowadays between father and son everywhere in America:

Quote:
Walter Bowman(father): "Hey, I've been thinking about that target rig[target rifle] you want to have built, the one you were telling Mr. Mann about this morning. I hadn't realized how good you'd become with a rifle. You deserve good equipment, so I'll make you a deal: You save up the money for the receiver--a Remington you said?--and I'll take care of the barrel and the scope. If you need any help making the stock, I'll pitch in there too. Sound fair?"

Henry Bowman(10 year old son): "Does it ever!"

Walter Bowman: Good. You finish cleaning your guns, then get upstairs to your bathroom and clean yourself. If we've got time before supper, I'll play a game of acey-deucey with you."
Talk about how times have changed...

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke

Last edited by BryanK; 11-24-2016 at 22:22. Reason: Last name correction
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:59   #304
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

A Rifleman Went to War, Herbert McBride.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:19   #305
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
"Unintended Consequences"- John Ross

I'm only on page 155, but good Lord...

I'm in my mid-30's, and I have no idea what daily life was like back in the 50's-60's, but I wish upon wishes that conversations/actions such as this existed nowadays between father and son everywhere in America:

Quote:
Walter Bowman(father): "Hey, I've been thinking about that target rig[target rifle] you want to have built, the one you were telling Mr. Mann about this morning. I hadn't realized how good you'd become with a rifle. You deserve good equipment, so I'll make you a deal: You save up the money for the receiver--a Remington you said?--and I'll take care of the barrel and the scope. If you need any help making the stock, I'll pitch in there too. Sound fair?"

Henry Bowman(10 year old son): "Does it ever!"

Walter Bowman: Good. You finish cleaning your guns, then get upstairs to your bathroom and clean yourself. If we've got time before supper, I'll play a game of acey-deucey with you."
Talk about how times have changed...
Just saw this...definitely agree that times have changed, but some of us still do this. I'm in my 30's too. My son (2nd grader) will straight up devour his dinner, knock out his homework, and finish any remaining chores just so we can grab 15-20 min before bed time to either shoot off the back porch, throw football or play a little Call of Duty. I realize it isn't acey-deucey, but the lessons are still the same.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:30   #306
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
A Rifleman Went to War, Herbert McBride.
Great book! It should be in every rifleman's library.
Old 12-14-2016, 18:20   #307
Volunteer
Asset

NATO Handbook of Russian Information warfare

A very good read that gives me insight into what I need to defend against in my $DAYJOB.

http://www.ndc.nato.int/download/dow....php?icode=506

From the author:
Recent events surrounding the presidential election in the United States have thrown Russia’s capabilities and intentions in the information domain into renewed focus. The implications of facing a combined effort of cyber offensives with traditional subversion and active measures are critically important for all members of the alliance.

This makes the latest publication by NATO Defense College’s Research Division especially topical. “The Handbook of Russian Information Warfare” is an introductory guide to Russia’s doctrine and activities in this field, including elements of cyber warfare. The handbook’s target audience is NATO servicemen and officials who are unfamiliar with Russian principles of warfighting, but require an introduction to this essential element of how Russia projects state power.

This publication is based primarily on Russian sources. As such, it fills an important gap in the Western study of Russia’s approach to this aspect of inter-state confrontation, representing the principles and practice of information warfare in Russia’s own words. Key concepts and approaches are illustrated and explained by direct quotations from senior members of the Russian defence and security communities. The guide also functions as a source book for further detailed research as required; each section concludes with a list of recommended reading for deeper research on specific topics.

We hope you enjoy this valuable and interesting publication by the NDC Research Division.
Regards,
Jeffrey A. Larsen, PhD, Division Head Research
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:22   #308
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Pre-suasion by Robert Cialdini
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:52   #309
Gypsy
Area Commander

Reading these three

A Few Things I've Learned About Being a Man, by Larry Hughes (my baby brother, post OK'd by TS!)

A humorous look at what the author has learned about being a man in modern society.

What If: Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

Sometimes hilarious, and very well thought out with some great drawings.

Letters from Father Christmas, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Reproduction of the actual letters and drawings from Father Christmas, written for his children.

Last edited by Gypsy; 12-18-2016 at 06:17.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:08   #310
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Just finished AMERICAN GUERILLA IN THE PHILLIPINES by Ira Wolfert.
It is the story of Lt. I. D. Richardson USNR. This book is written as if the LT is sitting there telling you this story. It was told before the end of the war in 1945 (published that year too) and his memory of the sights, smells and sounds is amazing. A very good overview of starting UW from the ground up and the problems associated with it. The LT has a very engaging style as he tells his story and that makes for a very interesting read.
I highly recommend it for anyone interested in UW. For you 18B's the part where he describes the set up of their ammo plant is amazing.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12   #311
bblhead672
Area Commander

Found a copy of "Horse Soldiers" in paperback at Half Price Books, so reading it again.
Old 01-26-2018, 13:36   #312
bblhead672
Area Commander

Just completed "Learning to eat soup with a knife."

Next up, newly purchased paper copy of "FM 3-05.201 Special Forces Unconventional Warfare Operations"
Old 01-26-2018, 19:45   #313
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Just completed "Learning to eat soup with a knife."

Next up, newly purchased paper copy of "FM 3-05.201 Special Forces Unconventional Warfare Operations"

Just finished that one (Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife) about a month ago. The two insurgencies he discusses can't quite be compared as the one is missing a major factor for UW success.
I'm trying not to spoil the read for other folks as it is interesting in its comparisons.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:42   #314
theWolf
Asset

Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman

I'm about 1/2 way through and so far he's tripped me up a few times with his mind games...but, it has really opened my eyes to how people (the majority of) think.

I've got a couple lined up after this--

- Undaunted Courage (I opened this up years ago and time got the best of me)
- Jungle SNAFUs...and remedies - this was recommended to read for when I head to SE Asia
theWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:24   #315
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Once a Warrior King

Once a Warrior King Memories of an Officer in Vietnam by David Donovan

While I read the book when it came out it was one of the more powerful books I have ever read, I think of it's insights and perspectives often. While the world has changed some things don't. It seems like it would be good reading for any transitioning combat veteran.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...-officer-in-v/

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote