Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:07   #31
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
I will be going to meps on the 1st of July and attempt to get a slot for 97b I hope that will allow me to get into the 18X field.
When I still thought I would get to do service in Sweden, I talked to TR about what would be the best choice. As a preparation for US service and possibly SF one day (one step at a time...), he recommended an infantry MOS, preferbly a tough one.

Reasons are experience in the field, better physically and attitude. No further differentiation possible.

Perhaps something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2005, 13:59   #32
Razor
Quiet Professional

Frank, I'm a bit confused. Are you looking to enlist under the 18X program, where you are afforded an opportunity to try to enter SF training shortly after OSUT, or are you looking to enlist as a 97B, and try out for SF after you meet the time-in-grade requirements? Further, if your intention is the latter, why do you believe CI training will best prepare you for SF? Just curious as to your thought process.
Old 06-21-2005, 20:54   #33
FrankS
On Probation

First all.

First all I would like to point out I do not know what I am talking about. I do know that I am too old to directly enlist 18X, so the later is the best option I have. Honestly my recruiter is not to good with providing information and I have to do the research myself , which is best in the long run, he is a nice guy though. My problem is that I don't know what the jobs are and am running blind here, I know what an MP does, I know what Airborne, Ranger and SF is and thats where it stops. I was looking through the jobs and found 97b, that actually seems right up my alley, I am a computer, communications geek, fluent in an other language, know surveillance techniques, I am sure you get the point. So I figured go with something that is cool do my time and then try SF. I actually looked at being a scout but I was unable to find good info on that, I was unable to find any info on FO's forward observers. Now couple this with the desire to be in a small tight unit. Any info would be great if I re-up this is for retirement only have to finish up 11 years for my 20 and want to make it worthwhile and exciting. If anyone has any job suggestions please let me know..

Thanks..

Frank

P.S. I am also looking into CID, never got a call back from the SGM in charge, I called 3 times..

Last edited by FrankS; 06-21-2005 at 20:57.
Old 06-21-2005, 23:10   #34
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Honestly my recruiter is not to good with providing information...
You're kidding! I've never had that problem before.

Have you seen the cav scout MOS?

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=39

--Aric
Old 06-22-2005, 08:11   #35
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
First all I would like to point out I do not know what I am talking about.
decision time...my $0.02...if you want to go SF, i would advise getting in a related MOS...11B/C, 12B, 91B, 05B...i was a 12B in my pre-SF life and found the work agreeable...

an observation, take it for what it's worth...you seem hung up on cop-type stuff...that isn't really what SF is all about...if you wish to pursue a military career in CI/CID or whatever, go for it...your service will be appreciated by all here...nothing wrong with going down that path, whatsoever...

another opinion of mine...i had a battalion commander who was an MP while i was finishing up my career in PSYOP...diametrically opposed personalities...MPs enforce order, SF (at least me) try to find away to work around the existing order in denied territory...working toward the same goal, for the same country from entirely different perspectives...

this question isn't meant to insult as much as it is meant to stimulate your thought process...do you really have any idea what Special Forces units do in an operational environment? really? it's not so much about kicking down doors as it is building rapport...

once again, my opinion, worth every penny you paid for it...good luck...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 06-22-2005, 10:30   #36
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I recommend that you find a Guard Group to drill with and have them send you.

If you make it, you can apply for AD if you wish to, and almost certainly get it.

The route you are taking (or that you are being steered into), is not direct and you will be several more years getting to SF that way, if at all.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 06-22-2005, 12:27   #37
FrankS
On Probation

Thanks

Thanks lksteve an unbiased third party view helps clear things up, you do have a point I keep tryin to get away from the cop stuff but it seems to be in my person. Thank you for your opinions they are welcomed. Reaper why do you recommend a guard unit , and I do not understand the process of guard units how can I go SF from there? If you do not have the time thats cool will look it up.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:47   #38
TFM
Guerrilla

Frank,

I don't know about what the age limit is for 18X, but if there is one, see if you can get a waiver. This may take some research and a lot of effort. It would be worth it if that is what you want. There are lots of things that are waiverable. Definitely call an SF recruiter.
Old 06-22-2005, 13:03   #39
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks lksteve an unbiased third party view helps clear things up, you do have a point I keep tryin to get away from the cop stuff but it seems to be in my person. Thank you for your opinions they are welcomed. Reaper why do you recommend a guard unit , and I do not understand the process of guard units how can I go SF from there? If you do not have the time thats cool will look it up.
Easier just to do some searching here or googling around. We have explained this before. If you are serious as you claim to be, some time looking for info should not be an imposition.

Guard can get you to the SFQC in 12 months or so, if you do your part. If you fail, you are only in the Guard for weekends and deployments.

On AD, you will likely be 40 or older before you get to the SFQC and if you fail, you will be in it for the duration of your enlistment, doing a job that you may not want.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 06-22-2005, 13:13   #40
jbour13
Area Commander

FrankS,

I'll re-enforce what lksteve posted. Any intel MOS is not going to give you a good baseline to work with. The work is not closely related. I was an intel analyst in an infantry battalion, I can tell horror stories if necessary (PM me with what questions you have if you'd like).

I killed my daily work and decided to take up my spare time in the gym and strap hanging with the grunts. I learned a great deal by doing so. Since most of the army doesn't function like this (25th ID had little to do before 9-11) you'll find yourself hugging a desk and not humping a ruck. I was fortunate since I fit in with most of the infantrymen. I lived amongst them and earned their respect because I didn't act like an intel geek.

To effectively know how the enemy is emplaced and will act in the battlefield environment is not much different than what your own troops will do. Terrain, weather, and good ole' Murphy level the playing field a bit.
CI work is not for the faint of heart. It requires analytical abilities, instincts and a damn good bit of resolve. You have to be able to deal with a lot of BS and be 100% commited to the job. You can work with the SOF community as a CI guy but you'll have to punch tickets and have a good head on your shoulders to get that gig. Not everyone is cut out to support that part of the community.

There are skills that cross over from the CI field to SF, but bear in mind these skills are ones that you may have and further develop with training and can be used in any job function. Commonalities that exist in both that are highly desirable:

People skills: SF troops display these qualities everyday. Just look at the pics from the A-stan that have SF troops giving medicine and providing comfort to host nation people. CI people have to have this for many reasons, obvious no need to get specific.

Strong internal drive: SF troops are notorious for their ability to operate on minimal guidance and do the right things in the absence of orders. As a CI person the same applies.

There are a few more, but to spare the masses I'll close this damn post. Hopefully you get what you desire and do great things. Be 100% committed to whatever endeavor you embark on and don't get upset if things don't turn out the way you want. Not taking the chance is a guaranteed failure. Your willingness to continue to serve this nation in any capacity is commendable and should you choose to commit again I'd be proud to stand on a distant battlefield with ya'
Old 06-22-2005, 13:49   #41
FrankS
On Probation

Thanks

I sincerly appreciate all the effort that has gone into the response to this post, I guess I am kinda like a kid in a toy store, I just need to settle on the toy that suits me the best not the one I can't afford. Thats where your contributions to this thread are priceless to me. The one thing I do know is I will keep you guys updated no matter what happens. I found a pretty good job description with a video about 97b, man am I glad I found that. That is so not me, I would have been misreable, so thats out the window. I also spoke with a lady from CID today , that actually sounds more up my alley I have to be an MP to apply so will see what happens with that. This is kinda like going shopping with your ol lady, never know what you are coming home with. If any of you know anything about CID I would appreciate a PM or post, I would imagine it's kinda like a detective division with a P.D. ?

Off to call a SF recruiter..

Thanks..

P.S. just to give you guys an Idea when I joined the NAVY I told the recruiter I wanted to sail the sea's and have a girl in every port, I ended up humpin bombs, so this time I need to do it right LOLOL.

Just kidding the best years of my life were in the navy..
Old 06-22-2005, 14:03   #42
FrankS
On Probation

Information.

Found this site SF Recruiting and spoke with a recruiter. sounds like a good deal he said what ever I do to get Airborne gauranteed. He said to get assigned to Bragg N.C. I would be able to attend selection immediately.
Old 06-22-2005, 14:13   #43
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I sincerly appreciate all the effort that has gone into the response to this post, I guess I am kinda like a kid in a toy store, I just need to settle on the toy that suits me the best not the one I can't afford. .
No offense, but you sound more like a ping-pong ball in a hurricane. If I might just make a suggestion, set a goal and work to achieve it. You have explored more career fields in this thread than my grandkids who want to be firemen, if they can't be policemen, if they can't be trash haulers, if they can't be whatever. Take an assessment of your life, where you want to go, your attributes and weaknesses, and the requisite qualifications and YOU make the decision. There is no one here that can do that for you.
Old 06-22-2005, 14:38   #44
FrankS
On Probation

yep

Yep , you are right. Thanks. The ping pong ball is a good analogy LOL.

Yah dass mach is schon schnell nur noch ein par tagen bis zum ersten July dann werden wier sehen wass passiert..

Danke Noch mal..
Old 06-22-2005, 21:04   #45
FrankS
On Probation

Ping Pong.

I should change my username to ping pong it sounds pretty cool. I just found what will work for me (21st Military Police Company (Airborne)) Fort Bragg. 9 days and counting to meps, have to gain 1/2 inch in my neck and lose 1" on my waist any suggestions would be welcomed. Looks like it is the Army for me I doubt seriously a contract will come through in the next 9 days. Thanks again guys for your suggestions. I was looking at the pass ratio according to the pft scores, I think being an MP for a year or so I can get into top physical condition to make sure I succeed, if I did it now I would just be sucking wind I don't want to waste the Army or the instructors time.

Ping Pong out..
Closed Thread