Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 04-04-2013, 15:31   #46
Beef
Quiet Professional

Like I said, I never humped a mtn. ruck, but I do have a couple. One with a frame, one without that's marked "Avery 1942." Funny how I got these. When we were forming our SFA chapter here the was ONE former First Special Service Force guy in the state. I thought it'd be great to get him in the chapter. I went to see him and he declined due to health and time constraints. He did, however, give me a PILE of stuff, the rucks, several reversal-able parkas in various patterns, a handful of Ulster mountain pocketknives in different patterns, several patches, including an Italian made one, jump wings, etc. It seems he finished the war as a supply guy....somethings never change. It's rainy here in the sunny South today. But if it clears up as predicted, I 'll post some pictures tomorrow, if there is any interest.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 15:39   #47
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Originally Posted by Richard
Canvas. One thing about them, once you spilled 'nam pla' in them, you'd never get that smell out.

Richard

That's true, but then the water buffalo thought you were a local and didn't stomp you into the ground...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 18:42   #48
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
That's true, but then the water buffalo thought you were a local and didn't stomp you into the ground...
And that's why I always carried the spicy, jerky'd pork from the village! Plus the red pepper spices changed the chemistry of our sweat and helped keep the insects at bay!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 18:07   #49
sgtrock
Asset

Many thanks to all who responded. This has exceeded my expectations by far. I am pleased to be able to hear the various opinions and experiences of those who commented. If I am understanding the gist of the comments thus far, the biggest problem with the sack is the lack of internal dividers or pockets. If you were going to design an "ideal" ruck sack bag, what features would be desired? One that comes to mind is to place a large radio pocket in the back side of the bag, as in the ALICE pack. Also, the exterior pockets and attachment points/straps; can their arrangement be improved?
As regards the frame and straps; it would seem that using a wider, padded set of shoulder straps and a real waist belt as opposed to the original parts would probably solve that part of the equation. The frame is another matter. Its compound curves require an extensive (expensive) effort to make. Thoughts and opinions on how to improve the fit and function?
Any and all opinions and thoughts on potential improvements would be appreciated. Again, Thank You all.

Last edited by sgtrock; 04-07-2013 at 18:11. Reason: PS: Thanks to Richard for the reminder on the pack frame/backboard approach.
sgtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 18:29   #50
jntobin
Quiet Professional - RIP

Mn ruck

The frame was the only good part of the Mtn ruck, instead of a straight bottom as on the Alice, it curved a bit, though it needed a mesh pad as on the jungle ruck, the radio pouch is spot on, and a pouch on the top cover. a 1000 denier bottom to stiffen the bottom and to give it stand up stability would be nice. and a antenna tie down on the of the top cover.

The whole molle interlace thing is a pain in the butt, a two one ratio is all the should be needed, but had a bungh of two parallel straps for quick attachment.

just ideas

tobin
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23   #51
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrock View Post
Many thanks to all who responded. This has exceeded my expectations by far. I am pleased to be able to hear the various opinions and experiences of those who commented. If I am understanding the gist of the comments thus far, the biggest problem with the sack is the lack of internal dividers or pockets. If you were going to design an "ideal" ruck sack bag, what features would be desired? One that comes to mind is to place a large radio pocket in the back side of the bag, as in the ALICE pack. Also, the exterior pockets and attachment points/straps; can their arrangement be improved?
As regards the frame and straps; it would seem that using a wider, padded set of shoulder straps and a real waist belt as opposed to the original parts would probably solve that part of the equation. The frame is another matter. Its compound curves require an extensive (expensive) effort to make. Thoughts and opinions on how to improve the fit and function?
Any and all opinions and thoughts on potential improvements would be appreciated. Again, Thank You all.
I love my modified ALICE pack. with 2 x Claymore pouches, 2 small pouches, and 2 medium pouches, and a zipper extension on the bottom for sleeping bag access.
If I need to carry more, I add the old LOWA ruck top to it and move out smartly.

People always cut off the waist band for the ALICE. Very applicable and needed when you are skiing.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47   #52
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Agreed, they have no organizational ability. Everything is in the "bag". What ever you want,, it's on the bottom, so dump it all out and start over..

They were not comfy either. If your hips did match the frame, you started out sore and the suck only got better..

Large Alice without the extra outside pockets, pretty much the same organizational capability which approaches zero, agree with JJ, if you need it, it's at the bottom... at least the large alice had the belt.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:14   #53
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

I had a mtn ruck and a NOS mint extra frame. I donated them to the WWII musem at Camp Blanding FL (they really needed them!).

I have nothing good to say about the mtn ruck except kudos to the poor guys who had to use them!

My ruck of choice is a highly modded ALICE large. Took it to Iraq on my deployments in place of the MOLLE ruck. First used an ALICE in 1972 (yeh, I'm old!).

I'm on my summer Reserve duty with SOCOM. My ALICE is in my van - I never leave home without it.

Willie at General Jackson's and Tactical Tailoring did all the mods to it.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 17:52   #54
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen View Post
My ALICE is in my van - I never leave home without it.
What! No pictures?

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 21:00   #55
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
What! No pictures?
I'll see what I can do.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 21:28   #56
Powder Monkey
Asset

WWII Rucksack

While reading the posts, my back began to ache remembering my use of that item. I gave it away several years ago and my ALICE rig as well. I am too old to run anymore. I must stand and fight. Look for me under the pile of hot brass and don't bring back that old rucksack!
Powder Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 21:56   #57
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Monkey View Post
While reading the posts, my back began to ache remembering my use of that item. I gave it away several years ago and my ALICE rig as well. I am too old to run anymore. I must stand and fight. Look for me under the pile of hot brass and don't bring back that old rucksack!
Hey PM, welcome!

Don't forget to stop by the introductions page and tell us a little bit about yourself.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:07   #58
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Monkey View Post
That's good stuff.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote