Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 02-12-2010, 16:16   #31
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Thanks!

There were six per year from the 80s till somewhere in the 90s, then they went to four per year, because that saved money and was all we needed.

Until it wasn't, then we went back to six per year, and somewhere in the past few years, we went to eight.

Assuming that the classes were the same general size, once we are done growing the 4th battalions what does that tell you about the number of people we are losing from SF every year?

TR
Oh GREAT.....Algebra

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 22:50   #32
T Jerrel
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I remember cleaning weapons out at Camp MacKall after Ph III, Robin Sage. The poggy truck showed up and the TACs didn't care that we wandered over and bought stuff and ate while cleaning weapons. Relaxed, nice.

Got on the trucks and the rest was an out of focus movie at fast forward until we stood for our class photo in front of Bronze Bruce. Photo taken and with orders in hand about 10 of us walked up the hill to 5th Gp HQ and were assigned to the various companies.

Went to the Company, was assigned a room in the barracks, went back to the Training Bn Barracks and moved my stuff to the other side of the sidewalk and up one building to the 5th Gp Barracks. Got moved into an eight man room with 4 beds, three made so I took the open one and settled in. Got finished and it was dark outside. Sat down on the bed and started wondering "Just what have I gotten myself into?"

Door bursts open, three scruffy looking characters walk in dressed in a mixture of civilian and military cloths with rucksacks, "Heyhowareya'whatsyournamegladtoseeya" pats on the back, other guys come into the room, handshakes, more intros, everybody gets cleaned up and we're off to Hay Street.

Felt like home.

Have no clue what the Nov 1974 class number was. Dropped my Jump School, SFQC and CDS diplomas off at my folks house for safe keeping were they disappeared. Everything else I kept in my briefcase.

you are an old timer, I was there in 80-84. i lived down on greenland Dr by hay st. I think i last my mind. phass 1 was tough.
terry
T Jerrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 23:09   #33
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

There were class numbers? I don't remember any class numbers. I remember Bear Martin, Richmond Nail, etc. I remember being cold and hot. I remember the green tick frame slamming into the back of my head when I would fall off the banks of the road. No class numbers though.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 19:05   #34
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Jerrel- I noticed the same thing when I got to group. No crap from the vets. It was more like, glad you are here, pay attention. This is your deal to either make or break.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12   #35
glebo
Quiet Professional

5-82 here, WETSU (We Eat This Shit Up)

Anyway, I believe the number started when the Q course went to 8 starts, meaning 8 classes a yr instead of the usual 4-6. Yes a Parker deal.

250 Classes ago it was around 3-3.5 yrs ago, thats when it started.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:13   #36
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I've been in SWC since 94 and can't answer this one. Hell, I have not been to MacKall since about the mid 90s, heard it has changed a might.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31   #37
glebo
Quiet Professional

250/8=31.25.

So alittle over three yrs ago, the 8 start.

Ya do know Parker proclaimed himself to be "The father of modern day Special Forces" dont'cha??

What a load of crap.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36   #38
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
250/8=31.25.

So alittle over three yrs ago, the 8 start.

Ya do know Parker proclaimed himself to be "The father of modern day Special Forces" dont'cha??

What a load of crap.
ooops, my math looks off...no wonder I wasn't a charlie

That would put it around 31 yrs ago, that dont sound right either.....unless it was the yr Parker went through, I guess it all began with him
Old 02-20-2010, 21:07   #39
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
ooops, my math looks off...no wonder I wasn't a charlie

That would put it around 31 yrs ago, that dont sound right either.....unless it was the yr Parker went through, I guess it all began with him
Don't remember them 41 years ago either - so I guess it will remain a mystery - guess somebody who knows him could ask Bear?
Old 02-20-2010, 21:37   #40
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
He wore a glass eye most of the time, only wore the patch every now and again. The picture was taken around 1976ish at a place you have to carry a protective mask all the time. A 2 qt Canteen, mask on your left hip and a C in your cargo pocket - all set for a day's training.

Also, field hats were more personal choice - wouldn't be until the 80s where uniformity realy kicked in.

I carried one of those 110 instamatics for years. Lots of pictures but most of poor quality. Good picture of the cammies though. A little more "green" tint than the BDUs of a few years later. Old faded out sets worked well in deserts with some vegitation.
Great picture of Rodney. He usually used the glass eye in garrison but most of the time wore a patch in the field.
One time he broke his hand (can't remember how) but I went with him to Womack ER. They xrayed him and put a cast on. We went to the field a few days later and his hand swelled up the cast was too tight. The next drop I had them add some plaster cast material and padding. It made it in and I recast him in the field and on we went. He was tough.
BTW I still have a set of those cammies. Those and a set of dress greens I have kept through the years (not sure why?)
Old 02-20-2010, 21:44   #41
doctom54
Quiet Professional

I had to go look at my orders since I CRS. Class number was 4-77, 13 Sep 77. If the fourth one for the year finished in Sep it would seem there were only 5 or 6 that year.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:32   #42
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I got to Bragg In mid July 83 as an 11B... Graduated the Q in March 84. I was recycled in RS, you did not want to be the only 'contract' in a team of Rangers, and be an 11B acting as the 91B... guaranteed 'peer' - the instructors felt differently and made me go back through Sage in the dead of winter. C'est la guerre, n'est pas mes amis?

I think the class numbers back then were 1-YR starting Nov 1 based on fiscal year.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:55   #43
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
I got to Bragg In mid July 83 as an 11B... Graduated the Q in March 84. I was recycled in RS, you did not want to be the only 'contract' in a team of Rangers, and be an 11B acting as the 91B... guaranteed 'peer' - the instructors felt differently and made me go back through Sage in the dead of winter. C'est la guerre, n'est pas mes amis?

I think the class numbers back then were 1-YR starting Nov 1 based on fiscal year.
Hmm.

I always thought the FY for the U.S. started on 1 Oct.

The class numbers, IIRC, started with 1 for the first class of the new FY and proceed till the last class to start that FY.

They are now sequential.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 13:47   #44
Richard
Quiet Professional

The Nbr/FY thing would make sense in an Army sort of way.

I still haven't found anything with a class number on any of my orders or diplomas and don't know how they kept track of us.

I got to SFTG Jan 71 for Phase 1 and our medic group completed all the 'gates' and 12 of us graduated SFTG Jun 72. The guys who were in our Phase 1 class and went through 11B/C, 12B, 05B training had all graduated and PCS'd to a Group long before us 91Bs did.

I'd be interested in knowing what my 'official' SFTG Class Number was as it must have been based on our Phase 3 (final UW phase) grouping.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 15:37   #45
DinDinA-2
Guerrilla

In my permanent Personnel File, under Military Schooling, there is an entry of SFOC 2-73. Probably the second session in 1973. No other numbers, certificates or in file.

Last edited by DinDinA-2; 02-21-2010 at 23:24.
DinDinA-2 is offline   Reply With Quote