Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 11-17-2010, 15:56   #91
RockSolid
SF Candidate

In September I signed my 18X contract and was given a 2,000 signing bonus, but as I told the recruiter "I could careless what the signing bonus is" or what the pay scale is. I simply was doing what I wanted to do. As of 2010.4.27 Ill be taking about a 40% pay cut, pissing my girlfriend off, and leaving behind a rather cushy life. I couldn't care less.

-RS
Old 11-17-2010, 16:06   #92
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSolid View Post
In September I signed my 18X contract and was given a 2,000 signing bonus, but as I told the recruiter "I could careless what the signing bonus is" or what the pay scale is. I simply was doing what I wanted to do. As of 2010.4.27 Ill be taking about a 40% pay cut, pissing my girlfriend off, and leaving behind a rather cushy life. I couldn't care less.

-RS
Send the money to Team Sergeant or the SOWF, get a new girl friend and go do push-ups.

Thanks for signing up, much appreciated.

Wet Dog
Old 11-17-2010, 18:38   #93
RockSolid
SF Candidate

Wilco

and proudly
Old 11-18-2010, 07:30   #94
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

As another "old guy" I will readily admit that I've received a few bonuses over the years. They didn't sway me...I was going to stay anyhows...sshhhh don't tell the Army.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23   #95
Atomsk
SF Candidate

I just enlisted as an 18-X this Monday and my bonus was $3k; $2k for the job and $1k for my college credits. Echoing what I posted a few minutes ago, it's additional money for something that I would of done without a bonus; the chance to succeed is more than enough.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:43   #96
iamnastyNate
Asset

Unfortunately for me, the Army didn't approve my HS Diploma from 10 years ago since I finished my senior year out of home. Thus I was given the following two options, either sign as an 11x and try to earn my spot through patience and PT/PL leadership aptitude or age-out and miss my chance.

Originally I had a reservation for a 6 year 18x contract with $5k bonus. Then I found out the Army wanted me to get a GED and out went my 18x option (no matter how high my ASVAB score was). If it's in the cards for me, I'll find a way to make it happen. Thanks to all the 18xers for signing up and good luck in your careers.
iamnastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 20:20   #97
blacksmoke
Like My Mankini?

I signed on May 25 and my bonus was the promise of a full time job for 5 years!
blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 16:16   #98
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnastyNate View Post
Then I found out the Army wanted me to get a GED and out went my 18x option (no matter how high my ASVAB score was).
The Army has taken a fairly dim view of those that do not complete HS (traditional HS anyways) recently. Speaking with a recruiter a few months ago with my son he said GEDs are only being taken now with waivers unless the potential recruit had college credits already in his record.
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 08-03-2011, 16:18   #99
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke View Post
I signed on May 25 and my bonus was the promise of a full time job for 5 years!
Good luck to you. I hope you get everything you want out of your time in the Army.
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35   #100
NBCH06
SF Candidate

I just signed and swore in yesterday. I was so excited at being offered such a rare opportunity (The 18x contract apparently is not being offered any time in the foreseeable future all classes are full, I luckily was at MEPS just as some one was dropping out of the program) that I did not think or ask about a bonus. Turns out there was none. It's a non-issue; the 18x contract itself is precious.
NBCH06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23   #101
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCH06 View Post
It's a non-issue; the 18x contract itself is precious.
Good luck!...Train hard, don't quit.
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 08-05-2011, 16:42   #102
MilkTheFunk
SF Candidate

Bonus = financially irrelevant

I signed my 18X contract back in May. I sat down with my MEPS counselor ready to sign without a bonus and he dropped $4K in my lap. $2K for my advanced degree and then another $2K for signing for 5 years, which from what I understood was required for 18X anyways. I accepted it graciously, but I was only seeking the opportunity to serve with America's smartest, strongest, fastest and finest.

Another thing to remember is that your bonus is taxable income. So, by the time you receive all of it you've already lost a third of it - my $4K will look more like $2.5K after taxes. If you calculate the NPV based on the bonus paying out over the course of your enlistment and account for inflation, a bonus really becomes a non-issue, which it should have already been if you're truly volunteering for SF with the right intentions.
MilkTheFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:14   #103
ableonetwo
SF Candidate

I signed my contract on tuesday and received 2k for my school and 6k for a 6 year enlistment contract and on completion of the Q, but the 2k is the only guarantee and obviously a long road ahead for the rest.
ableonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:21   #104
GreatfulService
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
In as far as current pay for 18Xs and enlistment bonuses, I would just say that I don't think the clothing/ equipment allowance is adequate. Infantry school will wear out your first set of gear and you will need to buy replacements for most of it. Then Abn and Selection will destroy another set. So by the time you have spent 6-8 months you are back into your base pay buying equipment. So while we might not think highly of the bonus as a motivational tool it certainly is welcome to keep the bank from sending you overdraft notices. A young guy who is trying to learn how to be a man and take care of himself in this complicated world doesn't need to be losing sleep over finances when he is facing Nasty Nick in the morning.
Thank you sir, its good to know what expenses to plan for once I'm in, I will price the items you mentioned, is there anything else I should include in my budget?

From the best I can figure enlistment is going to cost me many thousands of dollars to fix my credit, settle some back taxes and unpaid traffic fines. Every red cent will be the best money I've ever spent and if the army never paid me in anything but bullets and beans it wouldn't make a damned bit of difference to me. SF is a special calling that only a few can hear, and even fewer are worthy and quite obviously, they are not in it for the money. It keeps me up nights that I won't get selected, honestly that's my biggest fear in life. At the outset of this thread I was afraid we rube's would be embarrassing ourselves with avarice, it was a relief to see the tenor of this thread wasn't 'gimme gimme'.
GreatfulService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08   #105
chester
SF Candidate

Just a heads up you can get field quality uniforms pretty cheap at the 2nd hand store on post.
chester is offline   Reply With Quote