Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 15:07   #16
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
That would be Preacher H? Please tell me that there was not two of them
The one and only. He would overhear NCOs talking about the behavior of other NCOs at the NCO Club or the Rod and Gun or wherever and write down what he'd heard in his ledger which he kept in his desk...then he'd bring these things up later when he was on a rant about something or if you were on the carpet for something totally unconnected. Everybody steered clear of him and he had little clue of what we were really doing.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein

Last edited by Richard; 04-26-2008 at 15:26.
Old 04-26-2008, 17:27   #17
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

How many know how he, "Preacher", got his "religion"?

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
Old 04-26-2008, 19:32   #18
mark46th
Quiet Professional

An acquaintance of mine from SOG for "Religion" on his dog tags had 'F-4 Phantom'...
Old 04-26-2008, 20:29   #19
2 Block Secured
Quiet Professional

Georg Scott, God rest his soul, was the most religious SF soldier that I ever met. He didn't wear it on his sleeve and try to proselytize but lived it through his actions.
Before we would infil on an FTX George would tell me, "Jim, I just talked to God and He said things were going to be all right." and everything did seemed to go like clockwork. Then when he didn't go with us to wherever, it was like a circus of maniacal clowns was following us around.
Other than Georg, a person's religion was something that was the last thing on anyones mind.

Like LBJ said to his Protestant constituency in the south to assuage their fears of voting for JFK, a Catholic, (paraphrased) "Nobody was asking him his religion when he was pulling your boys out of the Pacific."

But then again that is politics, the second oldest profession in the world and not much different than the oldest.
Old 04-26-2008, 21:10   #20
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That said, on an A-Team you’d get more grief for your choice of beer then your religious preference.
Or music...Dave Titsworth (RIP) was a classical music afficiando...he would play it pretty loud, if he made to his team room before the other guys...and would laugh like a hyena when the griped about his taste...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 04-26-2008, 22:54   #21
mark46th
Quiet Professional

If you weren't a country music fan in Group, it was best to stay quiet...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:13   #22
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
I ask this as I am in a minority religion, Judaism...
If you were a Taoist, Scientologist, Wikkan, etc. maybe I'd agree that.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:05   #23
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Block Secured View Post
"Jim, I just talked to God and He said things were going to be all right." .
I had a radio operator at Ben Het that, on days we were not getting new bunkers dug by NVA rockets, would come up out of the commo room, stand on top of the TOC roof, spread his arms, look up into the heavens and shout, "Dad, thanks for another beautiful day". One day after he did that, he went back down into the commo room, sat his butt into his chair, started to hit the speed key when a short in the generator sent him careening across the commo room floor. I told him it was a lightning bolt
Old 04-27-2008, 05:47   #24
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
An acquaintance of mine from SOG for "Religion" on his dog tags had 'F-4 Phantom'...
I used "TAC Air" on the religious preference line of my ID tags...until they made me replace it in OCS. I told them TAC Air always answered my prayers but they insisted it wasn't a recognized religious belief as listed in the regs. From then on I had "Christian."

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 04-27-2008, 11:05   #25
Guy
Quiet Professional

Talking LMMFAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
If you weren't a country music fan in Group, it was best to stay quiet...
I used to go out to country & western; bars/clubs all the time!

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 04-27-2008, 11:08   #26
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I had Barbarian for years until the same complaint was made by a SGM, "not recognized religion".

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:36   #27
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

My tags always said "no preference".
Old 04-27-2008, 13:21   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

My second team sergeant had Druid on his.

Yes, you will take crap from your teammates over your religion, your age, your appearance, your physical abilities, your sexual preferences, and every other thing possible to try and annoy another person about, and you will do the same to them, because they are your brothers.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 04-27-2008, 15:41   #29
Mike
Quiet Professional

Before getting out in Sept '70 after 2 RVN tours, I got to spend 6 months in 7th group.
I remember CSM Hodge and a few of his rants about the "Big Ranger in the sky." Heard a couple stories about his "conversion."
Wierdest experience was all the young highly trained troops all revved up with nowhere to go due to SF withdrawing from RVN.

There was a Medic, real smart guy, who was a devout Mormon.
He announced during a barracks bull session that he would never kill another human.

Name was Dyrood or similar. Wierdest thing I ever heard.
Old 04-27-2008, 20:21   #30
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Mike- You are exactly right about being all revved up. I was one of those young guys ready to kill a Commie for Christ. I finally ended up w/ 46th Co for 2 years but that was the closest I got to Vietnam...
Closed Thread