Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 04-23-2004, 21:42   #16
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What's an SF-10?

Get some sun. LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 21:59   #17
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
What's an SF-10?

Get some sun. LOL
Its a newer chute thats reportedly more maneuverable, descends slower and has a softer landing. It even comes with a virtual trainer to practice steering on before actually jumping it.

And as for the sun, I will be getting plenty shortly down at the Ft Benning School for Boys. I dont have time to sun myself now. lol

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 22:12   #18
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Great Shots AM!

The AC was strange to me, but I found pictures of it in some of my military "history" books.

TS
Old 04-24-2004, 04:30   #19
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

AM, TS, and all the others who posted 'in the door' and 'geronimo!' pictures: As an underaged leg, the closest I can get to jumping out of a plane is in my head, with all the inaccuracies that result. Having pictures greatly enhances my concept of a parachute jump. So, thank you.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:39   #20
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Great Shots AM!

The AC was strange to me, but I found pictures of it in some of my military "history" books.

TS
I think it was Pope AAF, not AFB. If you look closely, you can see Doolittle's reflection in the glass.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:09   #21
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Jump School, our first 4 Jumps were out of those and the 5th from a 141. First Jump, we're all loaded and are taxiing out when the plane lurches to a halt. The Crew Chief is talking with the Flight Deck and waving his arms all about, then he disconnects from the intercom and his safety line and jumps out of the airplane. Shortly he returns and throws this HUGE PIECE OF METAL into the plane and climbs back in. He reconnects everything and resumes his antimated conversation. We start moving again and he picks up this piece and stows it back in the clamshell, it was one or two of the cowl flaps off of one of the engines !!!

First jump, NO PROBLEM the damned plane was falling apart and they kept on going, we all wanted to get OUT OF IT !!!

Later
Martin
Old 04-24-2004, 10:46   #22
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

My first was a C-123
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:01   #23
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

We jumped a 123 into Camp Mackall. It was bad weather and we had to fly around for quite a long time until it broke enough for us to jump. A friend of mine got airsick, took off his steel pot and puked in it. We were in the process of passing it to the rear of the plane, where there was a garbage can to have it dumped, when the Red Light came on and then the command Everybody Stand Up !! His helmet was passed back to him and he just looked at it with a horrible look on his face and then he PUT IT ON !!! He puked all the way to the ground, and we were in those clothes and without bath facilities forever. That was Camp Mackall !!!
Old 04-24-2004, 16:50   #24
Razor
Quiet Professional

NDD, the SF-10 is a slightly modified Smoke Jumper chute that USASOC adopted for high altitude jumps. They allow 10SFG to actually jump locally again, rather than load everyone up into a couple 141s and fly to NV to make mass pay jumps once a quarter.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 00:06   #25
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Those are some excellent pictures.

I've never had a mid-air entanglement (Thank God!), but I don't think I could continue to snap pictures if I did. Did you land like that, or were you able to get out of it?
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:48   #26
brownapple

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
My first was a C-123
Same here. 123s & 141s at BAC. UH-1s, UH60s, C-130s, MC-130s, CH-47s, C-7 and R4D later in life...
Old 04-25-2004, 09:00   #27
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

The entanglement happened while the canopies were deploying. We were able to position ourselves like the ones in the previous pic, that is, we had ahold of each other and pushed away just before landing.
Old 04-25-2004, 18:21   #28
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

When I was the the 82nd, I was the victim of a mid-air entanglement. St. Mere, fun jump, not a cloud in the sky over the Eastern seaboard.

Supply clerk runs into me from behind and above - I never even saw him. I caught him on his way down as his collapsed and we landed like AM said.

He ran into me becuase he was taking pictures . I don't have any pics of the entanglement, I was too busy monkey stomping his ass.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-25-2004, 18:37   #29
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Dont really have any entanglement stories from the jumps I have witnessed thus far, but I did see the damm'dest thing last drill.

While jumping Gadsden DZ (Gadsden Airport) one of the sticks encountered some sort of thermal up draft over the runway and 4 or 5 of the jumpers actually stalled in the air. I cant recall what the DACO actually called it. They floated left and right and a couple even went back up. Noone actually timed it, but they must have been in the air 5 minutes before landing. There was a couple near collosions but everyone avoided them.

So much for that 30-45 seconds of air time.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:24   #30
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
Dont really have any entanglement stories from the jumps I have witnessed thus far, but I did see the damm'dest thing last drill.

While jumping Gadsden DZ (Gadsden Airport) one of the sticks encountered some sort of thermal up draft over the runway and 4 or 5 of the jumpers actually stalled in the air. I cant recall what the DACO actually called it. They floated left and right and a couple even went back up. Noone actually timed it, but they must have been in the air 5 minutes before landing. There was a couple near collosions but everyone avoided them.

So much for that 30-45 seconds of air time.
I've seen that rather frequently. Heat from the runways (or in my case from the sand of Weinberg DZ at Blanding) will create a thermal of hot air and if a jumper is caught in it their canopy time will increase.

Now, if you get out of the thermal the density altitude of the air is higher that day due to the heat, so you tend to land a little harder than you would on a cooler day.

Fett and knees, feet and knees....
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote