Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 10-02-2006, 09:21   #1
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Best Course You Have Attended?

Okay, everybody knows about all the HSLD insertion and shooting schools, plus all the other "ninja skills" schools. What was the best, or favorite, MOS related school you ever attended? Either MIL or CIV.

x/S
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51   #2
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Best Course You Have Attended?

Ops& Intel SFTG '64-'65

BMT
Old 10-02-2006, 11:14   #3
SF18C
Quiet Professional

As an Engineering type I loved Sapper School (pre-tab days, you know…when it was hard). I also got to attend a target analysis course that was awesome, but it took some brain power to complete. But the best time ever at a military school – MFF (HALO). First the course is a blast all by itself, but Lake Havasue during Spring Break…you got to be kidding me that I got paid for that trip!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C
Lake Havasu during Spring Break…you got to be kidding me that I got paid for that trip!
I've been there, and you're right!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 13:04   #5
incommin
Quiet Professional

Best in what way? Fun? Most educational? Most useful?

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 16:17   #6
Matta mile
Quiet Professional

Fun wise without a doubt was the coveted "Inland Waterways" training in Alaska. Went there with the team during Alaskan summer. Lots of time in a motor boat on beautiful rivers. Camping and fishing in some of the most georgeous wilderness I have ever seen. Not your typical SF training.

Learning wise, SFQC pilot course with then Maj Robert Howard....unbelieveably demanding from every angle.
MM

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other" President A. Lincoln
Matta mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 18:28   #7
uboat509
Quiet Professional

The Advanced Land Navigation Course was the most professionally run and most physically demanding course. 18F was the one that I learned the most in that I still use. I would kill a close relative to get one of the courses they run out at range 37 but it just doesn't seem to be in my future.

SFC W
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 19:20   #8
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

One-Zero School at CLT RVN!!

We actually had about 5 KIAs (Students & Instructor)!!
Old 10-02-2006, 19:53   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Longrange1947's Special Operations Target Interdiction Course for Wayward Medics - ROP, Summer, 1989.

I always considered certification good training as well. Enjoyed every one of them.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 19:57   #10
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Everyday I spent with SF troops just doing our thing was always the best day of learning/training/development/and feedback. I know I have never found it anywhere else, in any environment.
Old 10-02-2006, 20:01   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
Everyday I spent with SF troops just doing our thing was always the best day of learning/training/development/and feedback. I know I have never found it anywhere else, in any environment.
Well said Sir.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 20:42   #12
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have never found it anywhere else, in any environment.
Amen to that!!!!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:10   #13
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

[QUOTE I know I have never found it anywhere else, in any environment.[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt. Been to some cool schools as a Fireman, but none compare.
FLTC/E (Foreign Language Training Course/Europe) in Garmisch-Partenkirchen was pretty hard to beat in both language immersion and well... being in GAP, let yer imagination run wild ......
Old 10-03-2006, 05:14   #14
incommin
Quiet Professional

Most demanding course: Med lab- SFTG 1966-1967

Most useful: One-zero School - RVN 1968

Most fun: 11B and 11C cross training 10th SFG 1969 and French Commando Course- 7th French Commando School Trier 1976

Most used: Crime Scene Reconstruction, Latent print development, and Latent print ID courses.

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:38   #15
sharkmanII
Quiet Professional

A different twist

Given 5th groups geographical A/O, and the countries surrounding the area, I was chosen as a young hard charging medic to attend.... SF Mule packing school. I kid you not good sirs! It was a rough 3 week course, learning everything from how to shoe the animals to properly packing them for a mountainous long haul to swimming but not drowning the animals while bearing their loads. The 2 weeks of classroom and hands on practical exercises was actually demanding, on both student and animals, but then came the final testing out trip. We spent a week in eastern TN in the mountains packing a teams full compliment of gear and other assorted supplies. We worked with every kind of pack animal and every situation the instructors could throw at us and man that was a fantastic school. Never got the oppurtunity to utilize the skill set, but it was fun and informative.