Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 11-11-2007, 04:41   #121
Pete S
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab View Post
You stated it perfectly, and that's the problem most of us see with the MARSOF program. There is no long term learning. I guy is in the unit for 3-4 years, than he leaves. In 3-4 year's your just beginning to realize how much you don't know.

Just my .02
Its not only MARSOC, it a pretty standard practice in the Marines. There's quite a bit of moving around from unit to unit, especially in the Staff NCO's ranks.

I thought that MARSOC was exempt from this because they were considered a critical MOS, similar in practice to EOD.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55   #122
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Location: Sono qui adesso, con una lunga zampe mulatto ragazza.
MAXTAB: Roger that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete S View Post
Its not only MARSOC, it a pretty standard practice in the Marines. There's quite a bit of moving around from unit to unit, especially in the Staff NCO's ranks.

I thought that MARSOC was exempt from this because they were considered a critical MOS, similar in practice to EOD.
PETE: It is a true problem. Marine Corps is already a small force as is. When you look at, first...second...third reenlistments, you see how competitive it really gets. First re-up is easy peasy. Second, a little less your choice. Third is almost by invitation only. SNCO rank is predominately, a billet position, within the Corps. If there isn't a job for you, you aren't getting promoted, thus you're either voluntold to EAS or denied a re-up.

At the stage of E-6 and up, you're almost guaranteed a ticket to a new MOS, let alone a new Unit. SNCO is a grooming rank, where the Corps begins to look more at, it's needs, as opposed to your wants. I think if one stays in for that amount of time though, you're wants are really the Corps' needs though.

I misunderstood what TR was saying, and I understand most QPs thought on this topic now. We all agree, that, this internal-turnover rate, is dangerously counterproductive to the Corps and any type of SOF mission.

I know that this is an issue, that, the Corps is trying to address currently. My younger brother is approaching EAS. Having come off his last combat tour, he's ready to seperate. This is a trend the Corps is feeling the effects from. The monitor offered him and the other NCOs, a re-up deal that was QUITE nice; 72k lump sum re-up bonus, choice of duty station and 3 year non-deployable status, must remain in your MOS for that time. The recruitment and retention officer told them, that, the Corps is feeling the effects of it's current leadership i.e.; SNCOs, who's only combat experience was Desert Storm...4 days....which pails in comparrison to what the Non-NCOs of OIF/OEF saw in their first 4 years.

The Corps realizes, that, these young men have seen alot of shit in 2, 3, and 4 tours...and that shit is invaluable real time experience, which you can't teach anyone and can only be learned the hard way. So, they want to keep as many of them around and around for a while, hence the non-deployment clause (don't re-up something of value simply to deploy it and risk it's demise), and groom it's future leadership with guys that have such experience.

I don't know, if they're doing this for MARSOC types or not, I hope they are. Either way, I think this new trend of thinking will surely trickle over to the MARSOC side of the house.

Who knows, maybe MARSOC will evaporate, back into the Corps, all together,

Just as Marine Recon has done, time and time again, in the past.

Seems as if, it's a constant numbers game, and as I stated before; a Commendants pension for boredum.

Last edited by CosaNostraUSMC; 11-11-2007 at 11:57.
CosaNostraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote