Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 03-08-2016, 07:58   #151
Penn
Area Commander

That's interesting, you do not need the AA, as for the "Art Institute" of Atlanta and all other branches are owned by Goldman Sacks, they are predatory. Their business model is centered on those who marginally graduated high school. I had two yo-yo's who worked briefly for me in NYC. AI, the tuition mill for Goldman, arranged their students loans...$70K each. The key, as always is the instructors, are they monster cooks or not?

I don't think I would use my GI benefits on culinary school, or if I did, maybe limited it to a six month program at a great pastry school. imo, the business model for cash generation, rather than CC's, is a patisserie, great coffee and pastries. Counter service only, minimal setup cost, off the charts RIO. Restaurants are PIA.

The schools that seem to attract talent and are most respected are FCI, CB, CIA, the best though are Drexel University and Cornell in the USA.

Last edited by Penn; 03-08-2016 at 08:05.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:20   #152
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
That's interesting, you do not need the AA,
The only reason I would finish it is because I am so close to it. I already have the 40 hours from the Legion and I'd want to take ADC anyhow. That leaves me two classes (budget/P&L and Menu Development) to get the legitimate title of Chef.

Quote:
as for the "Art Institute" of Atlanta and all other branches are owned by Goldman Sacks, they are predatory. Their business model is centered on those who marginally graduated high school. I had two yo-yo's who worked briefly for me in NYC. AI, the tuition mill for Goldman, arranged their students loans...$70K each.
Honestly, I'm not impressed by their student body. There were a few shining stars, but most of them were just there to get the diploma. The reason I actually stopped going was over sanitation/food safety issues. They've cleaned it up enough now that I can go back.

You hit it on the head. Cordon Bleu is doing the same thing here in Atlanta. Gov't backed Student Loans and Grants are the business model for both. AI is the only one in the area with weekend courses though. For me it's them or nothing. I'd prefer CIA, but there isn't one around here. My business ties me to the Greater Atlanta area.

Quote:
I don't think I would use my GI benefits on culinary school, or if I did, maybe limited it to a six month program at a pastry school. imo, the business model for cash generation, rather than CC's, is a patisserie, great coffee and pastries. Counter service only, minimal setup cost, off the charts RIO.
I'm using the benefits on something I enjoy. Otherwise they would just sit there unused. I've thought about taking the Baking and Pastry side from AI. In this area there are patisseries and good coffee shops (not Starbucks!) about every 1/2 mile. The market is completely saturated. If you ever come down this way, I'll take you to Alpine Bakery. Their cakes and pastries are off the charts! http://alpinebakeryandtrattoria.com/bakery/ The dinners aren't bad, but people go there just for the desserts, dinner is an afterthought.

Edited to catch up to your edit:

The key, as always is the instructors, are they monster cooks or not? - They were hit or miss. I don't know about the newer ones, they had some turnover in the last two years after failing, yes...failing, < 60, their food service inspection for the student restaurant. The one that teaches ADC subbed for one of the weekends I was there. He was on top of his game.

Restaurants are PIA. - yes, this one is a unique situation that I am positioned perfectly to take advantage of. I don't want to post it on the open board, will send a PM.

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 03-08-2016 at 08:37.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 19:04   #153
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I'm extremely happy I used my veterans benefits to attend Le Cordon Bleu. I chose it over AI because it was food focused. And because many of the instructors were former CIA grads.

And I would recommend it to those that are there to work hard and learn, and not to smoke weed, and do drugs like many of the lines cooks all over America being "trained" by someone that actually knows very little about food. I've found that finding a chef to work for and train under is like finding a martial arts instructor, most just know enough to be a great fake. The real ones are few and far between. And if you think we have military frauds it's about times ten for the cooking industry, everyone is a chef......

Le Cordon Bleu was like any other of the dozens and dozens of schools I've attended, you get out of it what you put into it. Afterwards it's like any other occupation , you start at the bottom and work your way up, if you're good. I finished and went to cook in Afghanistan and the Ritz in Cayman Islands.

I worked hard, studied hard, graduated with a 4.0 average and I've no doubt I could replicate just about any recipe as well as the exec chef. What I don't have is the master level of cooking where dishes are invented. That in my opinion takes a real artist in the industry and someone with tons of passion for his/her craft.

I also learned it's not rocket science and there are techniques and principles for success, learn them and it becomes second nature to cook.
Old 03-12-2016, 21:54   #154
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Bottom corner of the bottom sirloin. In the past it was ground into hamburger then grill masters (I guess) in Santa Maria, CA, started using them and they became very popular here in the West. Very tender and juicy. The prime cut has a layer of fat that adds flavor.

Here's a link to Santa Maria Style: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...ria-steak.html

On this cut, I just seasoned it like a SRR. It's like a poor man's Prime Rib.

Pat
When I briefly lived in Lompoc, CA in the 1980s I found that tri tip BBQs in Santa Maria, SLO, and elsewhere in the region were the fund raising equivalent of car washes in other parts of the country. That was when I fell in love with that cut of meat.
Old 03-12-2016, 22:03   #155
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Simple meal for a simple guy

Moved.

Last edited by Divemaster; 03-13-2016 at 00:12.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 20:04   #156
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
I'm extremely happy I used my veterans benefits to attend Le Cordon Bleu. I chose it over AI because it was food focused. And because many of the instructors were former CIA grads.

And I would recommend it to those that are there to work hard and learn, and not to smoke weed, and do drugs like many of the lines cooks all over America being "trained" by someone that actually knows very little about food. I've found that finding a chef to work for and train under is like finding a martial arts instructor, most just know enough to be a great fake. The real ones are few and far between. And if you think we have military frauds it's about times ten for the cooking industry, everyone is a chef......

Le Cordon Bleu was like any other of the dozens and dozens of schools I've attended, you get out of it what you put into it. Afterwards it's like any other occupation , you start at the bottom and work your way up, if you're good. I finished and went to cook in Afghanistan and the Ritz in Cayman Islands.

I worked hard, studied hard, graduated with a 4.0 average and I've no doubt I could replicate just about any recipe as well as the exec chef. What I don't have is the master level of cooking where dishes are invented. That in my opinion takes a real artist in the industry and someone with tons of passion for his/her craft.
I also learned it's not rocket science and there are techniques and principles for success, learn them and it becomes second nature to cook.
TS, just to be clear, as I stated “The schools that seem to attract talent and are most respected are FCI, CB, CIA,” French Culinary Institute, Le Cordon Bleu, and the Culinary Institute of America, they are bona fide occupational schools.

Our hiring experience has been, that they mostly, on average, produce uneven, skilled employees. Except for Cordon Blue, Cordon Blue tends to attract the more mature serious candidates, who have a clear idea of what they want to achieve. Their graduates of the Grande Diplome program are highly sought after, especially, if they attended the Paris home school, CB pastry school is world class instruction and the best investment.

The issue is training vs ROI. CIA 100K for a four year BS in Culinary Arts? FCI 6 months 60K, Cordon Blue 52K, which begs the question is culinary school necessary. The answer is time related. If someone has the time, the best route is estages in Europe as free labor for 1-2 years, in 2 and 3 star Michelin restaurants. You would see and work every station. On return to the USA, any shift sous chef position in a highly regarded restaurant would make you a serious candidate for hire.

With regard to those who do not attend culinary school and who train under…yo chef, what are we doing…we never hire. But, if they have trained under chef’s we know and respect, which implies the small circle of highly regarded French culinary techniques type restaurants in USA, they are seriously considered, before all others.

Which brings us to the contention of using hard earned educational benefits for culinary school vs a BA or BS in business management, STEM or any degree that would open employment in the 60K range within 2-5 years to of graduation. In the culinary world, you have to be a major experienced executive sous chef to command that salary range, which translates to 10+ years in the field, even if you possess a BS in Culinary science for CIA. Though I don’t have the numbers to support this claim, it is a known fact that many culinary grads leave the industry within 5 years. So, 2-4 years of school. Add debt, and X years in the business, before moving on to something new, that’s a terrible ROI.

That said, your argument relates to your decision and performance in CB, which is beyond unusual. Your resume and world experience would open any door. Enrolling in culinary school relates to your passion for food, not employment. You are the ideal partner, or managing director, there is no one that can compare to what you have accomplished.

What is of interest is the GI Bill continues until you have exhausted the benefits, but what is little known, and there are plenty here, that are Chapter 31 Voc/rehab, is the program can be reentered for failure to produce gainful long term employment capable of sustaining one responsibilities/life style, which translates to entering the program up to and including your master’s degree, plus stipend, at any school you gain admittance to.

http://www.eater.com/2013/7/11/64088...nary-education

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...e+the+industry

Last edited by Penn; 03-14-2016 at 20:28.
Old 07-11-2016, 18:12   #157
PSM
Area Commander

Mythbuster Savage has a new website and I found this interesting video when researching how best to reverse-sear my SV steaks: Tested

While the chimney methods seems the best, it would require another use for the charcoal, wasting it, or dousing it. I'm willing to give it a try, though.

My wife suggested using our weed torch: https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT.../dp/B00004Z2FP

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:21   #158
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Mythbuster Savage
Pat
I like Adam Savage, but I would not ask a 12 year old what he thought was the best steak sear. Purely subjective..........

Who I would ask instead:

Keens Steakhouse

Peter Luger's

Delmonico's

Yeah, he's a James Beard awardee, but he's what 12 years old and these steak houses have been around since the Civil War......
Old 07-12-2016, 12:53   #159
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I like Adam Savage, but I would not ask a 12 year old what he thought was the best steak sear. Purely subjective..........

Who I would ask instead:

Keens Steakhouse

Peter Luger's

Delmonico's

Yeah, he's a James Beard awardee, but he's what 12 years old and these steak houses have been around since the Civil War......
I was just interested in the "how" for getting a good quick sear on my SV steaks. So far my cast iron griddle or skillet is the best but it's too much heat in the kitchen for this time of year. The chimney method seems promising, though.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 07-12-2016, 14:20   #160
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I was just interested in the "how" for getting a good quick sear on my SV steaks. So far my cast iron griddle or skillet is the best but it's too much heat in the kitchen for this time of year. The chimney method seems promising, though.

Pat
I think the best steak sear is done with glowing red hard wood coals. You can taste the smoke........ it doesn't taste anything like propane, or cast iron. That's just my take.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:25   #161
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I think the best steak sear is done with glowing red hard wood coals. You can taste the smoke........ it doesn't taste anything like propane, or cast iron. That's just my take.
Agreed. I'm going to use chunk mesquite in the chimney. I brought plenty from CA but we don't have a charcoal grill yet. I saw one at Lowes the other day with a side smoke box that looks good.

Pat

Old 07-12-2016, 14:31   #162
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Agreed. I'm going to use chunk mesquite in the chimney. I brought plenty from CA but we don't have a charcoal grill yet. I saw one at Lowes the other day with a side smoke box that looks good.

Pat
I have a very expensive Fire Magic Grill and I have a simple, very inexpensive Weber Grill. Fast and easy, the Fire Magic ,but, for the absolute best tasting steak, the Weber with the hardwood coal.

I use the Weber when I want to get my carnivore on..... vegans dig it.
Old 07-12-2016, 18:13   #163
PSM
Area Commander

I've got a Weber Genesis gas grill but you are right, can't beat charcoal! My wife reminded me, though, that we still have a Weber Smokey Joe hidden someplace in the garage. I'm pretty sure that, with the chunk mesquite, the Smokey Joe will solve my little sear problem.

Pat

Old 07-18-2016, 10:00   #164
PSM
Area Commander

Refurb sale on now:

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/SousV...de+Refurb+Sale

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/SousV...de+Refurb+Sale

Mine was supposed to have scratches on it but I've yet to find them. This is a good deal on these units.

Pat

Old 01-02-2017, 21:04   #165
Penn
Area Commander

This is the new Sous Vide we are working with, an Oliso. The water oven is awesome!
$500USD, and worth every penny.

Tried to correct the picture origination, escaped and remain south
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0633[1].jpg (38.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Penn; 01-02-2017 at 21:14.