Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 07-21-2004, 08:00   #16
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I recently had the chance to examine the MOD (Masters of Defense) demo-type knives. A lawnmower blade with a handle IMO. They have a spike type abortion thing on them, ostensibly for making cap well in playdoughbooms.
Mr. Harsey, just a thought, but perhaps a demo knife with 18C input would be a consideration for a future project. Lord knows they could use one and they use a blade more than anybody but medics. Just a thought.
Yes I would like to hear what you guys need for this application. When road building for the logging side I remember the pain in the rear it was to stop and carve a stick in the woods so we could put the electric cap in the end of a stick of stumping powder (40% nitro dynamite, rock powder was 60%). At least we never ran out of sticks. On "Double Load Friday" we sometimes ran out of powder. I'll have to explain sometime.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:23   #17
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper

NDD, wait till you get your hands on a New Leatherman Wave.

TR
I have my hand on it and it serves as my vote for best utility knife! Bought it 2 months ago at Gaylands for around $65.00 and I love it. Even CINCHouse runs off with it because it's so useful.

Last edited by FILO; 07-21-2004 at 10:27.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:53   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by FILO
I have my hand on it and it serves as my vote for best utility knife! Bought it 2 months ago at Gaylands for around $65.00 and I love it. Even CINCHouse runs off with it because it's so useful.
First, you need to size your pictures to screen width.

Second, that is not the New Wave, it is the old one. IMHO, best of the multi-tools, but nowhere near the utility and features of the New Wave.

Mr. Harsey:

Double Load Friday's was a great story, please put it up for everyone here in a new thread of its own.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:44   #19
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
First, you need to size your pictures to screen width.

Second, that is not the New Wave, it is the old one. IMHO, best of the multi-tools, but nowhere near the utility and features of the New Wave.

Mr. Harsey:

Double Load Friday's was a great story, please put it up for everyone here in a new thread of its own.

TR
Roger---deleted photo. Checked the Leatherman website and didn't see the new Wave. However I see they are coming out with the Charge TI and Charge XTI. Anyway, I highly recommend the old Wave.

http://www.leatherman.com/products/t...ve/default.asp
Old 07-21-2004, 10:48   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This is on at least two other threads, but here it is again.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wave1b.jpg (43.8 KB, 231 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:00   #21
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
This is on at least two other threads, but here it is again.

TR
Thanks appreciate it! Take care and hope things are well in Pineland!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27   #22
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Preferred SF Blades

Great thread -

My preferred "top 5" carry knives sifted out like this -

1. Randall Model 18 - purchased right after graduation from "Q" course at little gun and knife store just outside Bragg.

2. Randall Model 14 - Gary Randall referred me to a little shop in Solvang, California, for this one. He didn't have any on hand. Carried/used it while with 3/7 in Panama.

3. Gerber MK II - Introduced to this particular knife while going through the "Q" and have always had one...or two.

4. Al Mar Eagle Folder - Started carrying one in Panama - one of Al's all time best designs.

5. Chris Reeve Aviator - one of the best small fixed blades ever made / offered IMHO.

Many, many years ago Bill (Harsey) crafted a fixed blade for me while I was doing contract work with Vance International - we titled it the "Oni", or Demon. A close friend of mine has it today - it's still a work'in blade
Old 05-13-2014, 20:14   #23
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Every time I've deployed, I've taken my Yarborough. It was designed to be used, and I used it as a field knife. I have always kept it sharp, and I have trained with it as well. By now, it is not as pretty as it was out of the box. It has desert camp paint on the handle, and the finish is scratched in some areas. But, when I retire, the knife will too, and both of us will have stories.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:09   #24
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai
Every time I've deployed, I've taken my Yarborough. It was designed to be used, and I used it as a field knife. I have always kept it sharp, and I have trained with it as well. By now, it is not as pretty as it was out of the box. It has desert camp paint on the handle, and the finish is scratched in some areas. But, when I retire, the knife will too, and both of us will have stories.
That is exactly the thing that makes an excellent knife into one that is priceless. Superb post.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32   #25
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 21:19   #26
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver's Combat Knife

This is a great story / update about one of SOG/SF's greatest operators and legends - Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver.

http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.co...-with-new.html

The photo of him wearing his Gerber MK II is priceless.

Shriver as also the only guy I ever heard of who carried, among other weapons, a .444 lever action rifle.

As was told me he'd gotten tired of the 5.56 "bouncing" off the heavy duty bunkers he'd come into contact with.

So he had his dad order him a .444 Marlin and had it shipped over to Vietnam.

Shriver carried it as he felt necessary and used it to "bust bunkers" or otherwise get heavy lead in on who was occupying those bunkers.

The DROP recently did a story on him, as well.

Apparently he considered the Gerber a knife he had no problem carrying or using
Old 05-23-2014, 08:52   #27
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
Thank you very much for the report.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:44   #28
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
Thank you very much for the report.
Come on Bill, you know we know that you and Chris make the best Special Forces knife on the planet........... You guys set the bar very high with the Yarborough!