Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 7th Special Forces Group

Old 01-29-2015, 18:01   #16
CHUNT
Asset

Last edited by CHUNT; 02-17-2015 at 15:01.
CHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 18:08   #17
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

I don't think I've ever seen an NCO wearing the drivers badge unless they were in a transportation unit or worked in the motor pool. I know I never wore mine. I certainly never saw anyone at Group wear theirs.

Short answer to your questions:

Left pocket flap from the center of the jacket out: master blaster, MFF, weapons qual (MFF and Master wings can be swapped )
left side above the pocket: individual awards w/ CIB on top
right side above the pocket: unit awards w/ foreign jump wings above and SF Crest above that

If you decide to put the driver badge on:

Left pocket flap from the center of the jacket out: MFF, driver's badge, weapons qual
left side above the pocket from bottom to top: individual awards, master blaster, CIB
right side above the pocket: unit awards w/ foreign jump wings above and SF Crest above that

Did you buy a new dress green jacket? If so, you'll want to make sure you have the correct number of service stripes and overseas stripes on the sleeves.

Given that this is for a shadow box and not for wear, I'd put the flash behind the jump wings and the SF DUI on the tabs (epaulets) so the uniform looks like it did when he was active. He'll know he has to take them off if he ever wears it.

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 01-29-2015 at 18:34.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 18:16   #18
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNT View Post
Joker,

Looking at your profile, I can guarantee you know him. Please don't let him know about this. It is a suprise. Thanks.

Attached is and example of how one soldier did it. I don't feel it looks correct though. Plus, wouldn't the free fall go there instead?
That uniform is incorrect and he'd get gigged big time for it. All three on the flap should be 1/8" below the seam. His qual badges are too low. (Edit - double checked the reg and removed a statement that was incorrect here) That uniform is a soup sandwich. Traditionally, if he was going to wear those badges the wings would go above the ribbons, but it's not a requirement. That looks like one of the photos where everyone throws the shirt and jacket on for a quick picture pre-deployment, but has their boxers on out of frame, not a DA photo.

As someone else mentioned, the badges that are in the same group can be arranged in any position. So Airborne, Air Assault, MFF, scuba, etc. can be placed on the flap or above the awards and any of them can be in any one of those locations. Tradition says that Airborne and Air Assault go above the awards if any are placed there, but technically any from Group 4 can be in that position. Qual badges (driver and weapons) can be in any location, but only on the pocket flap.

There is no difference by regulation between the placement of items on an SF soldier's uniform and any other soldier's uniform. There are just skill badges that are typically only seen on an SF uniform, like scuba and MFF. The rules are the same though.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen an NCO wearing the drivers badge unless they were in a transportation unit or worked in the motor pool. I know I never wore mine. I certainly never saw anyone at Group wear theirs.
...and now I have

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 01-29-2015 at 18:40.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 18:57   #19
stfesta
Quiet Professional

If you're in the Fort Bragg/Fayetteville, I will be more than happy to physically help you. It's very difficult to gauge how well you are doing with all the pictures being sent to you and everyone making assumptions about this and that.

PM me if you are in the area and we can figure this out.

I was in 7th Group from 91-99, chances are I may know your father as well.

Hope I can help out,
Scott
Old 01-29-2015, 20:07   #20
CHUNT
Asset

to (1VB)compforce:

Thanks. Your info really helps. Everything on it won't be politically correct. He has two foreign awards and you are only allowed to wear one but I plan on putting both (Uruguay jump wings and German Marksman, Schützenschnur). But I at least want to put everything in the correct places. I have the dress green jacket already (his original one I saw sitting in his closet last time I visited him, that is what gave me the idea) and was able to get the correct amount of stripes for each arm. He never plans on wearing it again so I'm not worried about that.

to stfesta (Scott):

Thanks for offering the help. However I am currently in TX. I haven't lived in Fayetteville since 2000 when my father retired. If you were 7th Group at that time most people remember him because he coughed up a bullet that was stuck in his lung after he was shot.

Last edited by CHUNT; 01-29-2015 at 20:13.
Old 01-29-2015, 20:34   #21
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNT View Post
... he coughed up a bullet that was stuck in his lung after he was shot.
I was the one that told your mom he had been shot.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:29   #22
CHUNT
Asset

Buzz?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:37   #23
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I'll be danged. I never heard of that one, but here it is:

Pat
I never saw them until I was in the ACSCMO at 21st TAACOM who had the 37th Ttansportation Command (USAREUR's "Red Ball Express") - they couldn't shoot worth a damn but they could drive the s**t out of those Freightliners and HETs.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote