Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-05-2004, 11:34   #1
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Hyphenated Labels

In another thread there was difference cast between nationality and culture. What is with hyphenating of titles here in America?

African-American, Latin-American, Asian-American, Irish-American, French-American (no such thing BTW), Russian-American, etc. Where the heck did/does this crap come from?

I guess that makes me Israeli/Italian-American huh... Hell no, I am AMERICAN 100% of Israeli and Italian descent. It bothers the crap out of me that individuals are not happy with just being an American. If you were born here or are a citizen you are an American. If you were born in another country you claim your nationality by that determinent and not base it on a cultural divisions. Dont give me that cultural-nationality BS filled, mental-masterbatory argument either.

This is nothing more than another tool to divide and mentally segregate our nation. People claim they are tired of having titles affixed to them, yet they apply them to their nationality. I am fed the hell up with it.

What do you guys think? Other than I need to go PT and burn off some stress...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 04-05-2004 at 11:59.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:40   #2
Gypsy
Area Commander

I have to agree with you. I'm "second generation" but it's too much to say I'm Irish-Sicilian-German-American...my dad always said we are AMERICAN! My relatives came here and learned what they could of the language, culture etc and made sure their kids immersed themselves in THIS Country, their adopted homeland. Sure I love learning the background culture of my relatives, but I am truly blessed to have been born here in the good old USA and I wish more people truly felt the same and would claim their AMERICAN heritage.

Now go take care of that stress of yours...

Last edited by Gypsy; 04-05-2004 at 11:52.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:48   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Show me where I used a hyphen.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:48   #4
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Yeah, you sound pretty enraged.
This is a great point, though, and is currently a point of focus in the UK.
I can't find the article from the front page of the UK Times Saturday April 3, 2004. It's called Britain must crap multicultruralism, and basically details how the Cultural minister thinks that the essential 'positive discrimination for immigrants' policy has led to the foundation of small, extremist cultures who are not pro-british and may therefore present a terrorist threat.

My question: How should the govt. deal with these sects? Restricting immigration won't reverse the harm already done. What more can be done to deal with the groups already inside?

Thank you,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:57   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Show me where I used a hyphen.
You did not use a hyphen. It was your comparison between culture and nationality that spurred it.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:57   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

This is just my extremist communist opinion, but I think we are indeed living in interesting times.

What I think we are seeing is the beginning of the waning of the nation state as the principle structure in the world. I don't think it will end for the next 100 years or so and I think the US will probably be the last, along with China, but I see it changing, slowly and surely.

The borders drawn by the victors of the WWs are being erased. Due in no small part to immigration, legal and illegal, concepts such as the EU, NAFTA, MERCOSUR, etc., economics, globalization, technology, and lastly security requirements.

My opinion is that we are turning to the era of the security community, smaller geographic areas and segregation.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 19:13   #7
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Hey Guys and gals, Quit picking on us hyphenated Americans! I'm, PROUD of my Neanderthal American heritage and will continue to seek the recognition that this important cultural minority deserves.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 19:32   #8
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Don't forget the other special interest minority group we belong to Sir. The adults that admit to watching cartoon based programming. Right, Bill-"Hank Hill- Harsey?

Sacamuelas-homer simpson

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 04-05-2004 at 19:35.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 19:36   #9
Bill Harsey

OK, really am laughing hard enough to make typing difficult!!! "cartoon based programing" is there any higher level? "Hank Hill Harsey Jr."
Old 04-05-2004, 19:42   #10
DunbarFC
Guerrilla

Re: Hyphenated Labels

Quote:
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
In another thread there was difference cast between nationality and culture. What is with hyphenating of titles here in America?

African-American, Latin-American, Asian-American, Irish-American, French-American (no such thing BTW), Russian-American, etc. Where the heck did/does this crap come from?

I guess that makes me Israeli/Italian-American huh... Hell no, I am AMERICAN 100% of Israeli and Italian descent. It bothers the crap out of me that individuals are not happy with just being an American. If you were born here or are a citizen you are an American. If you were born in another country you claim your nationality by that determinent and not base it on a cultural divisions. Dont give me that cultural-nationality BS filled, mental-masterbatory argument either.

This is nothing more than another tool to divide and mentally segregate our nation. People claim they are tired of having titles affixed to them, yet they apply them to their nationality. I am fed the hell up with it.

What do you guys think? Other than I need to go PT and burn off some stress...

I am with you 100% on this one

If I was to hyphen I'd be an Irish-English-Italian-MicMac Indian-American

I was born here and lived nowhere else. I'm an American and damn proud of it
Old 04-05-2004, 19:43   #11
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Thumbs up

I thought you might appreciate it Sir.

See, there are a lot of em' that don't appreciate the finer points of being a "special" class of citizen. Unfortunately, these "non-believers" don't know what they are missing. LOL

NOONE can escape the hyphen!!!
Saca-DOH!!!
Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: gif beerchug.gif (2.2 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 04-05-2004 at 19:46.
Old 04-05-2004, 19:55   #12
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Saca:

Are you trying to set a record today for the number of thread hi-jacked?

Old 04-05-2004, 19:57   #13
Bill Harsey

Jawbreaker Sir! It's great to be "special" isn't it? Very nice image of smiley faces, well done. Now I just have to convince my wife I'm special...this will go over big, oh yeah especially after yesterday after taking everyone to town in my old crew cab pickup, I'd told my 14 year old son that keeping his mouth shut was a skill but then explained to him that I realized it was one he'd never seen demonstrated. My wife immediately took this personally. I get lot's of knifemaking time this week.
Old 04-05-2004, 20:03   #14
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

LOL

My bad James... you mean this was a serious thread? I thought it was just you blowing off steam after reading that mental masturbation verbal deathmatch over definitions in the other hot thread today! haha

OK...seriously, I agree with you. I hate hyphens in the context you discussed... FWIW,this holds true unless you are a female and want to go to the Olympics. Then it is MANDATORY if you want to have a shot at the gold. THink about it.. Jackie-Joyner Kersee, Florence-Griffith Joyner, Mary-whatever the marathon runner! haha See what I mean, it is a good thing in some special areas.

In the queer eye for the straight guy circles it works too... Nous-defions-doc !! LOL (He is going to kick my ass) haha

In a good mood tonight, will try to not hijack anymore more threads. Sorry James
Old 04-05-2004, 20:03   #15
ghuinness

I took the Oath recently, March 4.

Thought you would find the following interesting.
This is an excerpt from the documentation given to new Citizens:

" Today you have become a citizen of the United States of
America. You are no longer an Englishman, a Frenchman, an
Italian, a Pole. Neither are you a hyphenated-American. You
are no longer a subject of Government......"

I can now say I am an American.