Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 08-06-2016, 00:44   #1
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Mission Briefing- how it happens

When a team is already in the field and there is something new that SOCOM wants them to do, who delivers the information concerning the new operation to the team?

What rank and position is he?

Who does this person tell and whereabouts would this mission briefing take place?

Is mission briefing even the correct term or is the mission briefing what is put together after the information is received, a timeline constructed, sand tables put up, etc?

Will the 18A, 18Z, 180A, and 18F all be present for this meeting, could it be any combination thereof, or is it just going to be the 18F?

Also, do the warrant officer and intelligence sergeant absolutely go out on every mission?
-SGM A Leavitt

Last edited by NotActuallyHard; 08-06-2016 at 11:08.
NotActuallyHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:10   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Is there a purpose to these questions?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:58   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Is this more background for your novel?
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:05   #4
NotActuallyHard
Asset

There is a purpose to these questions. I am researching for a novel and would rather not look like a complete idiot when this particular section is read.

I would prefer to be as accurate as possible in my description. I detest movies with frag grenades that erupt into three story tall fireballs, 17rd Glock magazines that hold 25rds, improper uniforms, dangling chin straps, Delta Regiment Zulu Team commandos in black wife beaters and Oakleys who roundhouse kick their way through the ranks of Al-Q.

There is a purpose to these questions. To become better informed.

That is why I asked them in the Special Forces Questions section of the forum.

If this particular section of the forum is reserved for gentleman who are looking for information on how to become SF qualified, I didn't realize that and will ask the questions in a different section.

Have I asked any question that would violate operational security if answered?

If I have asked such a question, it was unintentional.
-SGM A Leavitt

Last edited by NotActuallyHard; 08-06-2016 at 11:22.
NotActuallyHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:38   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotActuallyHard View Post
There is a purpose to these questions. I am researching for a novel and would rather not look like a complete idiot when this particular section is read.

I would prefer to be as accurate as possible in my description. I detest movies with frag grenades that erupt into three story tall fireballs, 17rd Glock magazines that hold 25rds, improper uniforms, dangling chin straps, Delta Regiment Zulu Team commandos in black wife beaters and Oakleys who roundhouse kick their way through the ranks of Al-Q.

There is a purpose to these questions. To become better informed.

That is why I asked them in the Special Forces Questions section of the forum.

If this particular section of the forum is reserved for gentleman who are looking for information on how to become SF qualified, I didn't realize that and will ask the questions in a different section.

Then I suggest you do what all other writers do, research. There are enough books and papers that have been written about Special Forces to fill a library.

We will answer one or two questions after that it's a $100 donation to the Green Beret Foundation for each question.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:45   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

"in the field"

"in the field" can mean many things but in our usage it means just what is says - you're out there away from everything.

All the questions you ask are very broad - and any answer you get will be based on a specific.

You try and take that "specific" and put it in a broad chapter - you will look like an idiot.

Most successful writers on a subject "lived the life" or did in depth research - like hang out with the real deal guys. They don't get it by asking a few questions over the internet.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:13   #7
Joker
Quiet Professional

You do know that we have these new fangled thangs called computers and radios that precludes T2 from haloing in to give the team a frago?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:16   #8
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotActuallyHard View Post

Here is what the Army has to say about your question...
what I posted is open source information you could have looked it up yourself...

SPECIAL FORCES OPERATIONS M DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTION: Distribution authorized to U.S. Government agencies and their contractors only to protect technical or operational information from automatic dissemination under the International Exchange Program or by other means. This determination was made on 13 May 2014. Other requests for this document must be referred to Commander, United States Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, ATTN: AOJK-CDI-SFD, 3004 Ardennes Street, Stop A, Fort Bragg, NC 28310-9610. DESTRUCTION NOTICE: DESTRUCTION NOTICE. Destroy by any method that will prevent disclosure of contents or reconstruction of the document. FOREIGN DISCLOSURE RESTRICTION (FD 6): This publication has been reviewed by the product developers in coordination with the United States Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School foreign disclosure authority. This product is releasable to students from foreign countries on a case-by-case basis only. HEADQUARTERS, DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY This publication is available at Army Knowledge Online. Headquarters Department of the Army Washington, DC, 28 May 2014 Field Manual Special Forces Operations.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:57   #9
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Yes, 18Fs go on every mission.

Every

Damn

Mission.

Warrants never miss a golf Tee.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 19:34   #10
PRB
Quiet Professional

I'd not help anyone write a book about SF....honestly.

My only caveat would be a history themed event that happened over 30 years ago so the present circumstances would not be illuminated.

Write a book about Navy SEALS...they are more than happy to spill their guts.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 20:01   #11
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I'd not help anyone write a book about SF....honestly.

My only caveat would be a history themed event that happened over 30 years ago so the present circumstances would not be illuminated.

Write a book about Navy SEALS...they are more than happy to spill their guts.
Yeah ...the SOCOM Cdr this was complaining about all the SOF books and movies. He was really putting complaining about the Navy and Tier components.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote