Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-27-2004, 20:44   #1
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Medical Gear- Ham Insert

NDD:

Did you get the HAM insert for your RAID pack yet?

If so could we get a report on it? I am looking for an insert and cant seem to make my mind up.

Also how is the buttpack working out?

JD

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 20:53   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

LOL - you think I'm too old to smell an ambush?

No insert yet, I'm downrange still and have to wait until I get back.

If you want one now, there's nothing to make up your mind - you have one option as far as I know. I'm going with the HAMM regardless of what else comes out. I like eggroll and will always support the independent maker before a company.

I've been using the TTFRB. I'll work something up for you in a day or two. Its good kit.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 21:20   #3
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Ambush...who me??? I would never even...

Back to the subject at hand.

The insert is not for me personally. Its for the USAR bags here at the FD.

As for the TTFRB, I am purchasing one of those and adding it to my ruck. Can never tell what might happen in the bush.

Thanks

JD

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-27-2004 at 21:23.
Old 01-29-2004, 15:38   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

eggroll,
Could you post the pics of the HAM and that new leg panel so people will know what we're talking about?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-29-2004, 17:20   #5
eggroll
Guerrilla

My Medical LEG panel

Customer req for khaki and OD trim.... was going to put lace on... for the buggy customer.

5 pouches on a 9 by 11 inch form factor, stitched up to be worn on the left thigh, hence the buckle would ride over the quadricep.

side opening pouches, which would open forwards when worn have retainer flaps inside the pouches to prevent anything from slipping out.

Enjoy!
EGG

http://www.geardo.com/images/EGL/EGLmedlegpanel.jpg

Last edited by eggroll; 01-29-2004 at 17:22.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 17:23   #6
eggroll
Guerrilla

more gear, including the HAM

http://www.geardo.com/egl-gear-pix.html
Old 01-30-2004, 21:10   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

They put picks up of the Med Insert from Eagle on LF.com. Its not anything like the HAM and I think it will take up more real estate than I'm willing to give. I'm going with the HAM (slices, with juices).
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-30-2004, 21:36   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Re: My Medical LEG panel

Quote:
Originally posted by eggroll
Customer req for khaki and OD trim.... was going to put lace on... for the buggy customer.

5 pouches on a 9 by 11 inch form factor, stitched up to be worn on the left thigh, hence the buckle would ride over the quadricep.

side opening pouches, which would open forwards when worn have retainer flaps inside the pouches to prevent anything from slipping out.

Enjoy!
EGG

http://www.geardo.com/images/EGL/EGLmedlegpanel.jpg
From the pic it looks as though getting supplies out of the two smaller, horizontal pouches may be difficult if the two larger ones are packed. Might be better rotated so they open forward. Have you experienced any problems with this Egg?

JD

Old 01-30-2004, 21:41   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
They put picks up of the Med Insert from Eagle on LF.com. Its not anything like the HAM and I think it will take up more real estate than I'm willing to give. I'm going with the HAM (slices, with juices).
Saw this as well. There is a greater than 50% loss of storage for other items and you also lose the retention system to securing the insert in place. The price also seems a bit high to me, too high for me. If I am spending 2 Bills on that I might as well buy something Medic specific. I believe I will be going with the HAMM as well.

JD

Old 01-30-2004, 23:54   #10
eggroll
Guerrilla

Gentlemen

I have seen the RAID insert - it is purpose designed for the RAID and you should know that all this insert is are the guts to the AIII Medical pack. I cannot figure why the cost for the insert is more than the Medical pack? I saw nothing off those images that showed anything new in concept.

The HAM was designed as means to carry basic supplies in a non-medical specific pack/ruck.

Actually the name, HAM came about from really as a net-retailer knock against the item early last year, yet unnamed at the time, referred to it as being a HALF ASSED MEDICAL insert :-)

Well keeping with my trend of oddball names for my gear - Loppy, Fugly, Chubby, the HAM stuck.

]Cric[
the design was as requested by the originating customer. Requirements! Requirements! :-)
Old 01-31-2004, 07:51   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

So they took the guts out of an A III and want to charge more than for the original pack?

Well, its good to have options. I opt for the HAM. I'm saving my money, and I'll be in touch in a couple of weeks.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-02-2004, 13:42   #12
SwedeGlocker
Asset

I cant belive that LFs medical insert cost 200 bucks. The first thing a did when i got my Eagle AIII medical pack was to sew velcro over the flap. With velcro i can keep several small pockets that keep my gear secure. My next thing to do was get rid of the mesch pocket and replace it with a small hard case for IV meds and several large ziplocks with "Battlepacks". Each Battlepack have battledressings, coban, oral and nasal airways and a starter kit. I keep SAM splints in the side pockets. With them in place the bags center forms a nice bay that keep gear in place. So in another words the things that i find most usless cost 200$. A HAM would be a great choice as flap in a AIII medical pack. The only thing i would like to see is a place for a chesttube kit next to the surgical kit pocket.
SwedeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote