Old 06-12-2017, 12:13   #1
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Need a rigger POC

Gents,

I'm coming up with a new concept based off a Jerry-rig an old VN-era paratrooper friend cooked up. He used old static lines from his hunting/outfitting business in his rig and we thought it would be kinda cool to keep that bit of paratrooper nostalgia as a regular component of my design. Yes, it's essentially just tubular nylon, but it's significantly more robust than standard tubular webbing.

I've reached out to former colleagues back in group if they can hit up their riggers for any/all of their old static lines. I would imagine there are quite a lot of them lying around after getting replaced for the slightest blemish in this day and age of "Safety first". My use for them will not involve life-saving purposes but rather a component of a harness for recovering/securing small riverine watercraft.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:25   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Used and/or outdated static lines are big on ebay, as are the old & new snap hooks.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 14:51   #3
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Used and/or outdated static lines are big on ebay, as are the old & new snap hooks.
Good to know. I was also wondering if they were available at DRMO.
Old 06-12-2017, 18:35   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
Good to know. I was also wondering if they were available at DRMO.
You used to be able to get them at DRMO but the riggers had to cut the static line from the snap hook.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 18:39   #5
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
I Understand what you said, don't really know any riggers.

For miscellaneous and the real deal try: http://www.paragear.com/
I enjoy working with them as they are straight forward and professional.

My original 550 cord supply has changed if you decide you want new I have a few
others for future use....get use to that change thing in textiles

For fabrics not sure what you might use but have good contacts now and some materials in bulk .

Lowy is a good place when prototyping, when you get something solid you'll want some more affordable sources: http://www.lowyusa.com/webbing/nylon-webbing

Bally Ribbon being one: http://www.ballyribbon.com

You can catch some odds and ends just by checking different places periodically, I think "Sportsman's Guide" has some para cord in their military surplus section.

The challenge is buying the right quantity for the right price. 5,000 yd fabric runs go for $25,000.00 and up. It is getting more challenging finding mil spec rolled goods but they are out there.

Lots more happy to help.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 22:25   #6
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
I Understand what you said, don't really know any riggers.

For miscellaneous and the real deal try: http://www.paragear.com/
I enjoy working with them as they are straight forward and professional.

My original 550 cord supply has changed if you decide you want new I have a few
others for future use....get use to that change thing in textiles

For fabrics not sure what you might use but have good contacts now and some materials in bulk .

Lowy is a good place when prototyping, when you get something solid you'll want some more affordable sources: http://www.lowyusa.com/webbing/nylon-webbing

Bally Ribbon being one: http://www.ballyribbon.com

You can catch some odds and ends just by checking different places periodically, I think "Sportsman's Guide" has some para cord in their military surplus section.

The challenge is buying the right quantity for the right price. 5,000 yd fabric runs go for $25,000.00 and up. It is getting more challenging finding mil spec rolled goods but they are out there.

Lots more happy to help.
Much oblige on the info. I actually have all those links you posted bookmarked in my computer since I've ordered materials from them at one time or another. As for fabrics, my usual go-to source is Rockywoods Outdoor Fabrics in Loveland, CO. I've known the family who owns the business for 20 years. They started out small, mainly with domestic, household fabrics, and are now filling out a wide range of customer orders of durable fabrics, from private/small prototype-ers such as myself, to huge government/military contracts. They're good people. I almost always check with them first and if they don't have what I'm looking for, then I start going through my bookmarks until I find the materials in question.

Honestly, using old, genuine static lines is not a "must" but a "like to have" in the design.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 06-12-2017 at 22:29.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote