Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 07-28-2011, 05:09   #241
Pete
Quiet Professional

Tote sack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper124 View Post
...........Things I am thinking about adding: unlubricated condoms for water transport and a small utility tool (I've seen tiny leather-man's 3inchs and smaller)

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques?
You have the bottle. Make a small tote sack out off parachute type nylon with a gutted 550 cord draw string top just big enough to hold all that gear then stuff it on top of everything in the bottle.

If you do need to carry water you can put everything in the tote and use the bottle. Plus you know how much it holds.

The daisy chained 550 cord takes up a lot of space. Make 4 25' lengths. Take each one and make a loop roll the length of your spread out fingers and use the last 18"s to whip it into a tight bundle. Might give you enough room to stuff a couple more small items.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:14   #242
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Good to Go

Thanks for the input Pete. Saved quite a bit of space and now have a tote bag to put all the contents in when using the nalgene for water! original thought was to put everything in pockets, but this will condense it and keep all the contents in one easy to access place.
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:33   #243
zpo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper124 View Post
all the contents in one easy to access place.
And in one easy place to be lost. Make sure its a good bag and lanyard/harness, and go ahead and spread things out to your pockets except for bulky things to stay in the tote. You'll be in better shape if you lose your tote.
zpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 19:51   #244
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Thats a given

Didnt plan on having them all in one bag toted around while using the nalgene. Ill have them in my pockets etc. but in the event I do not have the privilege of pockets, the bag will serve a great purpose
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 13:43   #245
Traweek
Quiet Professional

Christmas Present For Brother-in-law

I just finished my Christmas shopping for my Brother-in-law and thought I'd share it. It's kinda bulky but he can add/subtract what he wishes. Let me know what you guys think.

Emergency Kit Contents
QTY ITEM
1 48oz Nalogene Bottle
1 25ft. Gorrilla tape around bottle
1 75ft 550 cord w/gut around bottle
1 5ft 1in 100mph tape
1 emergency blanket
1 emergency poncho
1 folding knife
1 pen light
1 tube anitbiotics
1 pack bandaids
2 depth adjustors
1 mag bar w/ blade
1 s-biner
2 12"x12" reusable clothes
1 non latex gloves
1 fishing kit ( hooks, weights, bobbers)
1 tube superglue
1 9 hr candle
1 roll duct tape
1 bottle remington oil
1 frog gig
1 wood/metal saw blade
1 compass
1 bottle GULP bait
1 water prurification tabs
1 can/ bottle opener/ spoon
1 24oz metal cup
1 Sewing kit (taped inside frog gig)
1 2ft x 2ft tin foil
1 8" x 12" zip lock bag
1 bic lighter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG011.jpg (59.6 KB, 129 views)

SGM: "Well, Stop talking about it and do it."
Traweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 13:45   #246
Bitz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traweek View Post
I just finished my Christmas shopping for my Brother-in-law and thought I'd share it. It's kinda bulky but he can add/subtract what he wishes. Let me know what you guys think.

Very nicely done! That will make an awesome Christmas gift.

~Bitz

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."

~Bruce Lee

“Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.”

~William Gibson
Bitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 15:45   #247
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
I like the frog gig, might put another lighter in "One is none two is one". perhaps some snare wire? That would be a great gift to receive!

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 16:20   #248
Traweek
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
I like the frog gig, might put another lighter in "One is none two is one". perhaps some snare wire? That would be a great gift to receive!
I forgot to list the Snare wire but it's there. I have the Mag Bar and some matches, but another lighter wouldn't hurt.
Thanks..

SGM: "Well, Stop talking about it and do it."
Traweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09   #249
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Salt.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 13:14   #250
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
I've read one can acquire it from the roots of certain trees. Definitely a skill to have.
Not enough.

Focus on what you know how to do, and not what might be possible.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 10-22-2013, 16:11   #251
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
If unable to produce it (or enough of it), I'd hope to obtain it from eating animals.
Good luck!

TR

Old 10-22-2013, 17:25   #252
Toaster
Guerrilla

For nutritional use, there is blood from animals. Don't think drinking it from the arteries is the best plan...you could let it dry and make an extra ingredient for stew.

For preservation of food...maybe you could find a salt lick and grind it up and rub it into said game. Watching animal patterns could lead one that way perhaps.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 20:21   #253
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Is there a way to acquire adequate salt in the wild? I know if near an ocean, you can just boil the ocean water. But I am assuming I am not near an ocean in this scenario.
There are salt deposits on land and underground, and in the seas / oceans.

You might want to bring a little with you.

TR

Old 10-22-2013, 21:23   #254
Pete
Quiet Professional

Salt used to be underground.....

Salt used to be underground - now it's on a self at Food Lion.

Battle of Saltville

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...e-of-saltville

"....Additionally, salt and lead mines located in the area were vital to the Southern war effort. In September 1864, Union General Alvan Gillem planned a raid from his base in eastern Tennessee...."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:57   #255
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
True, but aren't we assuming that all you have are boots and BDUs and that's it? Or can one bring some additional supplies?
From the OP:

"What are the minimum tools and equipment you need to survive for 60 days in this environment?"

TR